Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 11:23 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

My wife would very much like it if we relocated back to WV. I'm not adverse to the idea at all as I felt more than comfortable in the time we have spent there. Just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what the demand is for skilled trades in the Harrison county or Morgantown areas. I'm a plumbing and heating contractor with 18 years in the field and out west here work is really drying up. I'm kinda browsing online sending resumes' and such and just figgered I'd get a perspective as to work in my field in the areas we are looking to go. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
I'm sure there is some demand in Harrison county. In Mon county (Morgantown) you are in a great place to bargin. Someone with as much as experience as you could make a very good living there considering there is so much construction going on in Morgantown, and not enough construction workers. Here is an article you may find useful.

Monongalia County Construction Boom - WBOY-TV (http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=42472&catid=58 - broken link)

Best of luck!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:53 PM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times
Doddridge and Ritchie county both need a heating & plumbing business! A friend recently bought the the Greenwood motel and could not find a plumber. The few in the area were all working out of the county on jobs. The couple of guys that are doing it can't keep up with demand at all. She ended up having her sons do it for him. You' do good in Harrison also...especially if you were willing to work in surrounding counties also.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:37 PM

Hmm now I know why Morgantown rang bells in my head. had a feeling on that one. I'll be talking with my Father in law tonight ( he's well plugged in round there) and maybe he can send me some resource material to help me get my head pointed upwind. Thanks for the article GHO...makes me feel better bout a potential move when I get positive feedback from folks like all ya'll. ( or is that you'uns lol). This may be a good way to get a fresh start. Thanks again!!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Going rate for a HVAC installed complete is about $12,500. To much work here...you will need to decide which one to do...plumbers do the homes...or work the commercial...same with HVAC...money is in the HVAC. Costing on this last home was $8,000 for materials...$4,500 labor...not bad for a week's work.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmm now I know why Morgantown rang bells in my head. had a feeling on that one. I'll be talking with my Father in law tonight ( he's well plugged in round there) and maybe he can send me some resource material to help me get my head pointed upwind. Thanks for the article GHO...makes me feel better bout a potential move when I get positive feedback from folks like all ya'll. ( or is that you'uns lol). This may be a good way to get a fresh start. Thanks again!!
ha ha I've never used (ya'll) or (you'uns) in my life... I usually just say "Hey everyone" or something. My partner's grandmother is from northwestern PA though and she uses (yins) a lot.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,208 times
That's another good point. I noticed since I moved here, to North Central WV, that there is no real strong accent, but a smattering of influences from Pa., Md. Va., Ky. or all the above. The first time I called my bank, the recording sounded like, "press 4 for brain showers" and it took a few moments to figger out she meant branch hours. I hear that occasionally, and some yinzes and y'alls, but mostly plain old downhome american.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 PM

My wife uses the yins or youuns a lot still. I was merely being humorous. She hasn't lost all of her WV accent. I did notice folks in her home town had a lilt in their voice that was pretty pronounced. A certain twang as it were. Not at all unlike my own western desert accent...got called "cowboy" once or twice as I recall though. I very much enjoyed my time there and felt as at home as I do in my own back 40 here.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:28 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
If you are a member of a trade that is remotely associated with construction or real estate, you'll do just fine in Morgantown. Like DK said, it's all stretched very very thin locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia