U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 107,967 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me the auto tax that I have read about here? Is it an excise tax? I had that in Massachusetts, is it something you pay every year based on book value?

And how is car insurance here in WV? Some people say high, some say low.

Is there personal property tax in WV? What does WV tax for sales tax?
How does it compare to VA ?

Thanks in advance to everyone that answers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,692,192 times
The annual auto tax is a personal property tax, similar to Mass. Tax rate times taxable value of the vehicle (usually from NADA, Edmunds, etc.)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM

1,502 posts, read 6,953,961 times
About the auto insurance, ours went up after moving from Anne Arundel County MD. It went up about $80.00 a year for 1 car. On the other note our home insurance went down by half. All our policies are with the same company.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM

18 posts, read 107,967 times
So if I was paying 1200 a year in Massachusetts, and paying 650 a year here in PA, am I going to be happy or scream over what I would pay in WV? lol

Ive a 2004 Ford Escape btw

Old 09-08-2008, 02:28 PM

1,502 posts, read 6,953,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeseeking View Post
So if I was paying 1200 a year in Massachusetts, and paying 650 a year here in PA, am I going to be happy or scream over what I would pay in WV? lol

Ive a 2004 Ford Escape btw
I am not sure on the difference in taxes for the states mentioned but my policy in Maryland for 6 months was $299.00 and in WV it is $340.00 for a 2002 Xterra. My house insurance was $800.00 and here it is $400.00. Registration is also cheaper here as well. Of course you have to pay taxes on your vehicles here where MD didn't have them. I have not gotten my bill yet.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,860,614 times
Rate of auto insurance depends on WHERE in WV you live. We lived in a more rural part of WV and moved to Charleston - changed address on policy but did not bother to change insurance agent. After a couple years, changed agents to local agent in Chas - cost of our insurance took a huge jump. Called old agent to check about it - was told rates in Chas area higher cuz it is a riskier area re car wrecks.

Don't know if this will answer your question about Property Tax but check out West Virginia Property Tax Website (http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/ptdweb/ - broken link)
"Real property includes land, improvements to land, structures, and certain equipment affixed to structures. Personal property includes furnishings, machinery and equipment, fixtures, supplies, and tools. The primary characteristic of personal property is its mobility. "

Real estate taxes are based on 60% of the value of your home but never can find what the rate is that is then used to come up with a $$ amount. Also don't know if it is the same for the entire state or if it varies from county to county.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM

385 posts, read 1,790,908 times
Our agent also told us the reason WV Auto Insurance is higher than some other areas (Maryland, for instance) is because WV has no way of tracking and enforcing mandatory insurance for registered vehicles.

In Maryland, if a driver lets their insurance lapse, you can bet that they will get a fine from the MVA.... because the insurance company will notify the state electronically.

In WV, a lot of people apparently get insurance to get their vehicle registered, and then cancel the insurance. The state doesn't have a computerized system to enforce their law.

Evidently, there are a lot of uninsured drivers in WV... thus bringing up the insurance rates.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,859 times
can anybody tell me if my retirement pension will be taxed in wv

Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,483,751 times
gass I don't think anyone can tell you that except your accountant, unless you'd like to disclose in a public forum recorded forever what your whole income picture. I don't suggest you ask that here.

OP Despite moving to charleston, my car insurance went down by about $150 per year, but then again, I was getting raked over the coals in suffolk county NY, which does have computerized enforcement. That same enforcement tool instigated a bench warrant against me due to insurance company goof. It didn't matter I was with the same company continuously for 15 yrs on auto pay, or that I had an immaculate driving record/model citizen. Guilty until proven innocent. This is a good thing? Who else did this happen to?

Every state in the union has an insurance scheme for collecting funds for uninsured/under insured motorists. Because the cornerstone of insurance is "shared risk", they get by on it. Each gov't has a common benchmark of how much it will cost to own a car at all, and no matter how they name the fees it all adds up to pretty much the same in the end. It's all how they go about it- upfront or sneaky. WV isn't completely up front about it's fees the way NYS was, but how would WV respond to a $65+ annual registration and $25 for plates? Can't remember which state it was, they were trying to charge for the same plates you already paid for annually. All these fee schemes- how is it different than the lame tax you have to pay annually on a car you already paid taxes on?

1990: My $500 beat up old buick wagon was $400/yr upstate NY. I got transfered to california, the same policy they wanted $1,200 to compensate for 'uninsured' from mexico. It only made me keep residency in NY (I had that option in military), because I'd be damned if I'd pay for someone else's insurance on top of my own. Those large fees only encourage people to BE uninsured motorists. Self fulfilling prophecy. I carried that insurance downstate NY (not optional), and now in WV (optional) as a new resident, but only as a way to prevent the insurance company itself from absolving itself from a claim. Don't give them wiggle room on clauses or you might as well not have insurance at all because they thrive on technicalities.

My suggestion to you is that if you're scouting for properties write down their addresses/zip code and call your insurance company for a price quote as part of your decision making process. You'll find out lots that way by how inflated/deflated the rate is for same car/same policy comparison. The insurance companies will not make it easy by just telling you where on the planet it's more economical to insure. Charleston relative to the rest of the state is definitely inflated, but it's a city- that's the nature of people living closer together. The rate is much higher in NJ. Other rural locations have inflated rates if deer collision claims are high. A company recommended by a fellow blogger was "erie" but I had already committed myself to renewing with my old company before I got the tip.

New residents are off the hook the first year for taxes on blue book value- need to get an affidavit of assessor prior to registering your car @ DMV. If you've been renewing your old license by fee only, dept of homeland terrorism requires you prove who you are all over again, so be prepared to be carry the burden of proof (original SS card, birth certificate etc). A voter registration card is also an acceptable form of identity, so get one of those before going to DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia