Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 AM

404 posts, read 1,187,978 times

Advertisements

I'm involved in a civil case against a private school here in WV. It's a good case and the school is clearly in violation of state laws regarding private schools. It's pretty simple. I paid for a service, they didn't provide it. I have called attorney's in all the surrounding counties and can't find anyone to take the case. I guess I'm on my own and hope I don't mess it up to bad. But really, it shouldn't be this hard to get a lawyer! Every person I've talked to says that they have to many cases to take on one more. Maybe it's just in my part of the state? I don't know, but it sure is frustrating! Anyone self represented in a civil court before? I could really use some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Maybe not enough money in it for them?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That is a big part of it I think. It's only a few thousand dollars. I don't expect a lawyer to take my case when he's devoted his time in a wrongful death suit.

I have represented myself before at a hearing but nothing this complicated.

Private school laws in WV are very clear but the state has no authority to enforce them, so civil court is the only way to go. At least that's what they told me in Charleston when I called the state board of education.

I should have done my homework better when I chose this school!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,522 times
Contact the West Virginia State Attorney, They make the laws and Enforce them!!!!!
and it will not cost you anything!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x View Post
Contact the West Virginia State Attorney, They make the laws and Enforce them!!!!!
and it will not cost you anything!!!!!!
I already did that. I was told that the state attorney couldn't help because there is already an ongoing civil case. Go figure? Didn't make any sense to me at all.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hit the nail on the head!

Now if you were involved in a minor rear end accident, you'd have to beat them back with a stick.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 PM
x1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
I already did that. I was told that the state attorney couldn't help because there is already an ongoing civil case. Go figure? Didn't make any sense to me at all.

I meant to say the WV State Attorney General's Office, Did you contact them?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x View Post
I meant to say the WV State Attorney General's Office, Did you contact them?
Yes, that's who I talked to. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm running out of options. I really don't want to represent myself...especially since my children will have to testify.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:28 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Hit the nail on the head!

Now if you were involved in a minor rear end accident, you'd have to beat them back with a stick.
Cherry picking . If you had a six figure income and a slam-dunk case that requires little actual thought and any monkey in a suit could win, then you would have to beat them away with a stick.

Been there, done that, saw it happen. I gave up when they told me my wife was worth very little because she lived, had she died, they would have taken my case. Best if I stop right here.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
x1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
Yes, that's who I talked to. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm running out of options. I really don't want to represent myself...especially since my children will have to testify.

I have one more suggestion, Try contacting the State Board of Education, I believe that private schools have to comply with the same laws as public schools? However I'm not positive but nothing tried is nothing gained!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia