Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM

396 posts, read 923,667 times

Advertisements

America welcomes immigrants (like myself) and should do that but legals only.
I am agree- there are no such things as illegal imiigrant. brake the law- go to prison or at least back to you country with no right to return, no right to "amnesty"

Old 09-24-2008, 12:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
boy I guess I'm lucky my great grandparents got here in the 1920's and not now. They came here without papers.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:59 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
boy I guess I'm lucky my great grandparents got here in the 1920's and not now. They came here without papers.
I would like to know more Herd. Where did they come from, why did they come without documents, how did they travel here from Europe (I assume they came from Europe). Do you know the appx. year they arrived?

mark

Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 PM

They came from Italy, they came without documents because many people at the time didn't evenknow they needed them. My great grandpa came to find work. They heard of lots of work in WV so when they got here they came here and worked at a coal mine near Bemis, WV. I do not know the date they came, I know they got to Bemis in the late 1920's but they came from the PA coalfields before that. My aunt would know more, she's studied both sides of our genealogy

Old 09-25-2008, 07:00 PM

396 posts, read 923,667 times
it sounds weird because Ellis Island was very strict.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Well... sorry ???

Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
One of my grandfathers came here illegally too- from germany. He took a job on a ship as a cook long enough until he could jump ship in NY harbor. Apparently saw the writing on the wall post WW1 and wanted no part of whatever was happening there. Even changed his name to erase his germanic heritage. Assumed a swedish name.

I never did know the details of how he managed his way around that illegal status, or for how long. He was a very tight lipped stoic man with history he didn't share because it seemed painful- we didn't pry for details. He was well educated & cultured but never talked about degrees or universities. I believe he was a conscripted german soldier in WW1 (deserted?), which is my theory about what made him turn 100% pacifist by the time he met my grandmother in USA late 1930's. He was 4F for WW2 but also was a conscientious objector.

Grandma knew his story and she took that to her grave. He made sure my dad had a copy of "All quiet on the western front" as a teen (my dad, disappointed when I joined the military, passed that onto me directly for some light reading in boot camp! hahaha) and encouraged his children to go for higher education professions. He avoided politics like the plague, invested his life in spiritual things and being a good family provider. He was masterful with a drawing board as an illustrator and had a Maxfield Parrish style that was popular at the time. He illustrated catalogs and local newspapers for many years, but eventually became a caretaker of quaker retreat houses in partnership with my grandmother who would cook for them. He may have been illegal, but IMO he was a good American.

One of my great grandmothers came here illegally by lying about her age. She was only 15 and came with a sister who promptly ditched her when they got out of the processing center at ellis island- never saw her again. If I recall the story rightly, minors were obliged to come with parents or be deported immediately, and the family back home in Poland/Lithuania couldn't afford the whole family traveling. Once past ellis island they just disappeared in the crowd sometime in 1910-1920's.

My Irish ancestors? Don't ask don't tell policy.

R- I know this issue is your pet peeve, but when will you do the math showing how profitable illegal immigration has been to those hiring them for less than living wages? Why do you think republicans haven't taken the hard line stance they always have before about these sorts of issues? Because they know who they'll really hurt- the ones exploiting the situation for personal gain. Think of any other reasons why they'd be sitting down which in effect defends those hiring? And yes, the people who ultimately pay for all of it in the end are the working class stiffs. When in history has that been untrue, on every conceivable level?

Want to put an end to illegals, you'll have to fund INS arm of the law to do it (which has been underfunded since deregulation policies went in effect ). You'll also have to put those hiring them (people like DK I'll remind you) in jail with heavy minimum monetary penalties to compensate tax payers. Large commerce in turn will make a game of it, hire someone unqualified to hire anyone, and with a troop of lawyers use them as the fall guy if they get busted- disavowing illegal activity all the while. ::innocent look::

Obama and McCain didn't invent all this, but how they deal with all the players involved through policy is far more telling IMO.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
The more I look at this pityful race of 2008, the more flashbacks I have of 1976.
Is McCain vs. Obama a reincarnation of Ford vs. Carter?

They both seem to mirror each other in regard to policy.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Yes Georgia...there is a Santa Claus...and this election is that 1976 flashback...

Ford would have been as bad as Jimmy Carter if elected...the voters took the lessor of the 2 evils and our real foreign problems began with the muslim terroist organizations and their backers...I remember starkly that Navy sailor standing in the entry of that high-jacked plane and falling to the tarmac when shot through the body...that sent a message to us...we will either be good slaves or dead ones...not to blame it all on the dems...as we have also had our Jimmy Carter too with Hank Kissinger...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Thoughts on what is going on with Ohio - the same day registration and casting your vote? They are rounding up the homeless and college students by the busload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia