Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:06 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times

Advertisements

Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - Business - W.Va. leads nation in economic growth*

Finally some good news! Looks like WV leads the nation in economic growth over the past quarter, and nobody else was really even close.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Pretty soon those other states will be begging to become part of Appalachia.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
What can ARC do for you! That should be our slogan, lol

Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM

246 posts, read 880,501 times
If WV leads the nation in growth i would hate to see who's last!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,906 times
I still think this ARC is crazy! My friend in Cleveland was none too happy to find out that her mother and sister are now HILLBILLYS in Ashatabula County!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
HA HA HA go WV!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Bet we won't read that in the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, or etc.
They just want to print bad things about us.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Article states: "Don Boyd, a senior fellow at the Rockefeller Institute, credits a booming coal market, relatively no change in the state's housing market and its limited reliance on financial and insurance businesses now in crisis."

No thanks to the environmentalists. Heard today they have succeeded in getting a permit suspended or revoked for some coal mining in the Northern part of the state.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
'Cooking the Books for the MoJo Presidential run..4 years away...Mojo gave a speech at the convention...that's all it takes to run for Pres on the Dem ticket...He will be running as U S Senator MoJo.
Wifey-poo will be serving out the unexpired term in the gov chair...Wait and see a great plan in action...
Will rescue the Democrat Party...as conservative, Pro-life and NRA backed...The Dems want that White House and will re-invent themselves to get it...In the works as Obama goes down in flames...Rebub's will counter with German born Theresa Kerry...

Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
If WV leads the nation in growth i would hate to see who's last!
I absolutely agree. It would be interesting to see what exact figures they used in these calculations. I feel a long post coming along so please bear with me...

DK could have a valid point that this is some form of MoJo cooking the books, after all, it is the ROCKEFELLER Institute that released this study. My questions/ concerns about the valdity of this study begin here. If energy and cheap housing are the main sources of this "growth" then why did Texas, which is booming from tech and oil along with having some of the lowest housing costs in the nation, only grow by 0.6 percent? How did a state that has seen little to no growth in years make such a leap to the top?

Do the people of this forum honestly believe that West Virginia is leading the nation in economic growth? HONESTLY. No judgement here, I just want to know individual opinions based on what you've observed. I keep hearing "coal is coming back" but I just cannot fathom why the state is even remotely interested at this point. After being burned by several coal booms and busts since the 1950s, you would think elected leaders would learn the importance of diversification.

Obviously nobody that has grown up in WV can forget our coal heritage, but do you also think that a job in the coal mines fits in with this 21st century economy? Go to the Marshall campus or WVU or any other college and randomly ask a dozen or so students if they are interested in working in the coal mines. I guarantee you won't get many takers.

The reason I ask questions such as these and sometimes refute claims is this: I hear constant talk on these threads about how great the economic times are in WV, how there are plenty of jobs if you look, how things are changing, etc. It's nice to hear speak so passionately about their state, but it is always in COMPLETE contrast to what I hear/see when I'm back in WV speaking with friends and family still living in the state.

I just find it hard to believe that the state economy is growing so much, but I know that earns me a negative label by other posters. If it truly is then good, WV could use a lot of it to get back on track. But in the past ten years, not only have I left, but so have my three siblings, many relatives, high school friends and countless others. I don't think we all hated WV or somehow overlooked good economic times before we hit the road.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 10-08-2008 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia