Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Chris, go to NYC and say you're from Charleston. You know what you'll get back? I was in South Carolina 2 years ago for vacation. except for those who live in areas very near the State of West Virginia, people associate Charleston with SC and don't even know it exists in any other state.

Now, I know you're going to say they memorized it in grade school with state capitols and the like. They don't do that any more. They have rescripted the curriculum during the past 30 years or so to push for "diversity" and "globalism", rewriting history in the process as part of the mass social engineering project, and geography is hardly even considered. I am not kidding when I say I met a Harvard University student who could not point out where Montana was on a map. And, millions might not watch college athletics, but many millions do watch it, Morgantown gets great exposure in some of the Nation's largest media markets, regularly. Being in the Big East has really put West Virginia and Morgantown out there.

The politicos aren't all from Charleston, but that is what Charleston is known for in most of the state. That might be a bit unfair, but it is what it is. And, it actually looks like Boss Hogg might be elected Governor to solidify that perception. I agree that Charleston is the largest metro area located totally within the state. But, the metro area concept is largely arbitrary and it doesn't provide a true picture of real circumstances. Morgantown directly abutts other metro areas including Pittsburgh and Fairmont/Clarksburg, and by all logic should be combined with Fairmont/Clarksburg since there is huge interaction with those towns and many folks live in one of them and work in the other. Uniontown likewise has a high interoperability with Morgantown but it is in the Pittsburgh area. Huntington is in a metro area with both Ohio and Kentucky, and Wheeling with Ohio but directly abutts Pennsylvania. We could argue until we're blue in the face and not agree. I'll just say look at the population trends and draw conclusions from something logical.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-10-2011 at 12:19 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
ugh, so much pretension in this chat you could cut it with a knife

Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There is some influence from Pittsburgh here, but it is not overwhelming. In fact, as you know, Pittsburgh is largely an Appalachian city in spite of its size so the influence works both ways.
Go ask someone from Pittsburgh if they appreciate the influence Morgantown has on their town and see their response. Be prepared to cover your ears for the loud noises you hear afterward will likely be from incessant, uncontrollable laughter.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I'm sorry CT, but if you think more people know about little ole Mhole over Charleston then you need to go over to AZ of CA and tell someone your from Morgantown. The metro valley includes Huntington and is a very large chunck of our state's economy. And I'm pretty sure the kids still learn about the state capitals in history class.

Another thing is, like the state capital, WVU is a state run institution. Most of the money either comes from Charleston or the Federal Government anyway. Morgantown didn't even want that college back in 1880's and now they think they own the place. Well let me remind them that everyone in the state that pays taxes, contributes to WVU's sucess. WVU belongs to everyone, not just Morgantowwn.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'm sorry CT, but if you think more people know about little ole Mhole over Charleston then you need to go over to AZ of CA and tell someone your from Morgantown. The metro valley includes Huntington and is a very large chunck of our state's economy. And I'm pretty sure the kids still learn about the state capitals in history class.

Another thing is, like the state capital, WVU is a state run institution. Most of the money either comes from Charleston or the Federal Government anyway. Morgantown didn't even want that college back in 1880's and now they think they own the place. Well let me remind them that everyone in the state that pays taxes, contributes to WVU's sucess. WVU belongs to everyone, not just Morgantowwn.
You're way wrong there Chris. At West Virginia University, less than 19% of the operating budget comes from state funds and state government gets that back many times over. In fact, it receives that much back just from sales, income, and other taxes on institutional employees. There is federal funding too but that is a different issue.

Metro Valley is a term somebody invented to talk about the I64 corridor but in reality it is no valley at all. Huntington is in the Ohio Valley. Upchuckton is in the Kanawha Valley which doesn't proceed to Huntington at all but to Point Pleasant. We could coin a term for I79 or the Mon Fayette from Clarksburg to Pittsburgh too I suppose, but that is essentially meaningless. What in the world does the 1800s have to do with anything? WVU does belong to everyone, but we are fortunate to be able to lay claim to most or it in Morgantown. So does our pathetic state government, although one might be loathe to claim it.

I have lived in California (I'm retired military), as well as Oklahoma, Ohio, NY, Connecticut and various other places. Morgantown is generally better known than Charleston, except around Charleston. For some reason, you guys think you're the center of the universe there. Morgantown is in the national press on a regular basis. Charleston is a legend in its own mind.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You're way wrong there Chris. At West Virginia University, less than 19% of the operating budget comes from state funds and state government gets that back many times over. In fact, it receives that much back just from sales, income, and other taxes on institutional employees. There is federal funding too but that is a different issue.

Metro Valley is a term somebody invented to talk about the I64 corridor but in reality it is no valley at all. Huntington is in the Ohio Valley. Upchuckton is in the Kanawha Valley which doesn't proceed to Huntington at all but to Point Pleasant. We could coin a term for I79 or the Mon Fayette from Clarksburg to Pittsburgh too I suppose, but that is essentially meaningless. What in the world does the 1800s have to do with anything? WVU does belong to everyone, but we are fortunate to be able to lay claim to most or it in Morgantown. So does our pathetic state government, although one might be loathe to claim it.

I have lived in California (I'm retired military), as well as Oklahoma, Ohio, NY, Connecticut and various other places. Morgantown is generally better known than Charleston, except around Charleston. For some reason, you guys think you're the center of the universe there. Morgantown is in the national press on a regular basis. Charleston is a legend in its own mind.
I think you have your head screwed on wrong or something because what you reply makes no point. There are 7 regions in WV, one being the Metro valley, another being Mountaineer Country where Morganholeinthewall is. It's not a name some guy just came up with, but a region that includes Kanawha, Cabell, Putnam, Lincoln, and Wayne Counties.

Your crazy if you think that Morgantown is more well known than Charleston. I mean its a small town with an average university. Charleston is the capital of the state, largest city, largest economy, and richest city in the state. We have the largest airport (not saying much there) soon to be 6 four lane divided highways that cross into town, plus we are on Amtrack's Cardinal Route that connects DC with Chicago. Morgantown is only well known in your mind!

WVU represents the state of WV, not the city of Morgantown. When people see them play on TV they don't think of Morgantown, but the people of WV and the culture that comes with it. All Morgantown is to WV is the spot have was left for it. When the three towns of Moundsville, Weston, and Morgantown were given the oppertunity to choose from either a college, hospital, or jail, Moundsville and Weston got to pick first and Mtown was left with the college no one wanted.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Go ask someone from Pittsburgh if they appreciate the influence Morgantown has on their town and see their response. Be prepared to cover your ears for the loud noises you hear afterward will likely be from incessant, uncontrollable laughter.
The yinzer patrol can laugh till their hearts are content. It does nothing to stop the fact that there is an exodus from their corner to, among other places, Morgantown. But, if you've ever spend any significant time there you know it is probably better than most larger cities, but it is still a larger city so it has all the crap that goes alone with being that. Nobody can blame them for bailing out on the place.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I think you have your head screwed on wrong or something because what you reply makes no point. There are 7 regions in WV, one being the Metro valley, another being Mountaineer Country where Morganholeinthewall is. It's not a name some guy just came up with, but a region that includes Kanawha, Cabell, Putnam, Lincoln, and Wayne Counties.

Your crazy if you think that Morgantown is more well known than Charleston. I mean its a small town with an average university. Charleston is the capital of the state, largest city, largest economy, and richest city in the state. We have the largest airport (not saying much there) soon to be 6 four lane divided highways that cross into town, plus we are on Amtrack's Cardinal Route that connects DC with Chicago. Morgantown is only well known in your mind!

WVU represents the state of WV, not the city of Morgantown. When people see them play on TV they don't think of Morgantown, but the people of WV and the culture that comes with it. All Morgantown is to WV is the spot have was left for it. When the three towns of Moundsville, Weston, and Morgantown were given the oppertunity to choose from either a college, hospital, or jail, Moundsville and Weston got to pick first and Mtown was left with the college no one wanted.
Please, and state government is supposed to represent the state of WV, but it largely represents goofball political hacks who specialize in pork barrel bull$hit. I've heard the rumors of what happened 150 years ago, and neither of us were alive then to remember whether or not there is any truth to that. Besides that, it is irrelevent. Much of the success of WVU is attributed to the outstanding residents of Morgantown, and much of the failures associated with our state government... well you get the picture. And now, all of a sudden, Charleston is the same as Huntington? That's a good one. You're the first person I've ever heard make that claim. I'm good friends with somebody from Hurricane, and they don't seem to claim either place there. In fact, a lot of them are there to get away from Charleston.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Okay, I see what you mean. The couple hundred passengers on the seldom used Cardinal route that passes through Charleston 2 or 3 times a week puts the town on the map. Now I get it. Boy, you got me there.

Don't you think if there really were any people living in that area the train would go someplace near there more than a couple times weekly? There's actually a good chance that 40 years ago it did just that. I will tell you of some people in the Northeast who know about Charleston though. When I lived in Connecticut, I used to sometimes run into people who used to work for the old Carbide Chemical Company before it went out of business. They had their home office in Danbury, but they had the infamous plant in South Charleston that makes the dangerous pesticide that killed thousands in the incident in India. They seemed to know about Charleston due to the plant being there. Other that that, in the entire two decades I met maybe 4 or five people who knew about Charleston, and they were from the state of West Virginia.

Since the movie, more people know about Huntington than know about Charleston due to the plane crash.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:22 PM

CT your just too wrapped up in that world you call Sunnyside to think of anything logical that makes a valuable point. I've traveled all over the US, and even parts of the world and I'd tell people where I'm from, and they'd say yeah I know Charleston! And really you've met a total of 4 or 5 people from WV who knew about Charleston? I'd say you don't have many friends.

The truth is I think your full of crap! You just would never give up on something that I think you know is wrong info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia