Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is easy to plan roads when you get money to actually build them. Morgantown could plan roads to its heart content, which it doesnt because you can build anything anywhere in Morgantown, but it still couldnt build the plan.

Lack of zoning is a big problem in Morgantown, but a bigger problem is lack of funding from Charleston, the politicians not the city itself. This is something everyone in Northern WV knows, and people in the South are ignorant about.Why should the know about our problems? They get all the funding they need so probably assume the rest of the state does too.

Also keep in mind that Huntington is shrinking, while Morgantown is rapidly growing. It is hard to keep up with all the new residents and new development being created. Charleston, the politicians, sure dont mind all the new tax revenue.
Almost all of our infrastructure problems are on state and federal numbered highways. We have long been neglected in that regard, and the blame clearly rests with Charleston (the political structure, not the town).

Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The three people who got shot in Sunnyside over the last year and the poor kid who was beaten into a coma would likely beg to differ but I guess they don't count, huh. You keep on exaggerating though.
There were only two shot in Sunnyside, and only one death. The beating was not in Sunnyside, it was on Willey Street in a normally docile area. At the times in question, there were more than 60,000 people residing in the town (permanent and student population). The violent crime rate is amazingly small for such a concentration of people and easily the best in the state for a similarly populated area.

Crime Indexes (2007-2009) City Data (higher = more crime):

Morgantown 212 (2009 data)
Huntington 610 (2007 data... latest available)

Tim, I thought we weren't going to do this any more?

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-20-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Almost all of our infrastructure problems are on state and federal numbered highways. We have long been neglected in that regard, and the blame clearly rests with Charleston (the political structure, not the town).
It is obvious, but some people prefer to bury their head in the sand. I dont understand Chris seems like a decent idea with a good attitude, and a good skepticism of government, but blindly supports the bureaucrats in Charlietown. I thought you were a capitalist Chris? The thieves in Charleston, the politicians, are not capitalist.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
There were only two shot in Sunnyside, and only one death. The beating was not in Sunnyside, it was on Willey Street in a normally docile area. At the times in question, there were more than 60,000 people residing in the town (permanent and student population). The violent crime rate is amazingly small for such a concentration of people and easily the best in the state for a similarly populated area.

Crime Indexes (2007-2009) City Data (higher = more crime):

Morgantown 212 (2009 data)
Huntington 610 (2007 data... latest available)

The beating that left that poor student in a coma was a freak accident. It started as a drunken fight over the world series. The kids in question never meant for it to be so violent, but they got off too easily. People need to be held accountable for their actions.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
I wasn't planning on it but your boy havoc asked for the numbers and I gave the most recent data using FBI statistics and local police reports. I asked him to stop making things up and exaggerating things but he wouldn't. The only way to combat people like that is with facts.

To belittle Huntington the way he does and then claim that the worst thing that happens there is drunk people asking for directions, I mean come on. And per the info I've seen, there were 3 shootings 1) Aug 3, 2010 2) Feb. 20, 2011 3) April 26, 2011. I can send you the links via PM if you like as you know I don't like to discuss that type of stuff on this board. Bad stuff doesn't happen often there but it does happen, just as it does in Huntington and every other city.

My only request is don't ignore what happens in your city and then exaggerate that which happens elsewhere. You know I always agree to disagree as long as discussions are kept civil and havoc hasn't shown an ability to do that very well yet with people who don't agree with his view point.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I wasn't planning on it but your boy havoc asked for the numbers and I gave the most recent data using FBI statistics and local police reports. I asked him to stop making things up and exaggerating things but he wouldn't. The only way to combat people like that is with facts.

To belittle Huntington the way he does and then claim that the worst thing that happens there is drunk people asking for directions, I mean come on. And per the info I've seen, there were 3 shootings 1) Aug 3, 2010 2) Feb. 20, 2011 3) April 26, 2011. I can send you the links via PM if you like as you know I don't like to discuss that type of stuff on this board. Bad stuff doesn't happen often there but it does happen, just as it does in Huntington and every other city.

My only request is don't ignore what happens in your city and then exaggerate that which happens elsewhere. You know I always agree to disagree as long as discussions are kept civil and havoc hasn't shown an ability to do that very well yet with people who don't agree with his view point.
What are you talking about? I have done nothing, but state facts and try to engage in civil conversation. Unfortunately anti-Morgantown sentiment runs high on this forum. Are you so biased against Morgantown that any praise of Morgantown or any criticism of Huntington, however slight, sends you into a rage?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
Quote:

Ignore him, he's a disruptor. Go back to arguing amonst yourselves.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Ignore him, he's a disruptor. Go back to arguing amonst yourselves.
You are right I am a disruptor. I am tired of Charleston, the politicians, driving WV into the ground. I am also tired of how the federal government has become. I will not stand for the status quo. I mean to shake things up. Since I came into this forum I have done just that, but this isnt my only stop. Hopefully next I will be shaking things up in Charleston. Who knows after that?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What are you talking about? I have done nothing, but state facts and try to engage in civil conversation. Unfortunately anti-Morgantown sentiment runs high on this forum. Are you so biased against Morgantown that any praise of Morgantown or any criticism of Huntington, however slight, sends you into a rage?
Your statemnet above isn't even a fact. Facts are truthful statements that can usually be backed up with links to those facts. You have been asked to provide links to your "facts" like Huntington and Charleston are given funding to do what they want and you have produced nothing. Yet it has been shown that the city you claim gets next to nothing has a higher amount of state and federal tax dollars flowing into it than most other cities in the state.

Then, as pointed out above, you claim that the worst thing that happens in Morgantown is drunk people asking for directions. Really? And civil discussions don't involve calling other cities the things that you have.

Growth in Morgantown is great for this state and I love things that are good for this state. People can criticize Huntington all they wish but if my experience is counter to theirs, I will post that to give another point of view. People don't always agree on things and that's fine. When people exaggerate things, I will also call them out on that as well.

You cry about anti-Morgantown sentiment but yet you have proven yourself to be anti everywhere else in the state without apology. When you attack where other people live, they will usually point out the flaws where you live. If you truly love this state the way that you claim, then you would want to see all areas of the state do well, not just one. You have not shown that yet either though.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Your statemnet above isn't even a fact. Facts are truthful statements that can usually be backed up with links to those facts. You have been asked to provide links to your "facts" like Huntington and Charleston are given funding to do what they want and you have produced nothing. Yet it has been shown that the city you claim gets next to nothing has a higher amount of state and federal tax dollars flowing into it than most other cities in the state.

Then, as pointed out above, you claim that the worst thing that happens in Morgantown is drunk people asking for directions. Really? And civil discussions don't involve calling other cities the things that you have.

Growth in Morgantown is great for this state and I love things that are good for this state. People can criticize Huntington all they wish but if my experience is counter to theirs, I will post that to give another point of view. People don't always agree on things and that's fine. When people exaggerate things, I will also call them out on that as well.

You cry about anti-Morgantown sentiment but yet you have proven yourself to be anti everywhere else in the state without apology. When you attack where other people live, they will usually point out the flaws where you live. If you truly love this state the way that you claim, then you would want to see all areas of the state do well, not just one. You have not shown that yet either though.
In the past had I known this issue would have come up I would have kept my sources. You can hardly expect me to keep every source I come across to every issue just in case I happen to discuss it on the internet? I already said I am keeping an eye for new sources. I dont have a whole lot of time to invest into searching for new ones.

I have nothing against Charleston, or Huntington, just the corrupt politicians. Im not sure why you support them so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia