Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 AM

9 posts, read 36,462 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Bluefield-Princeton area, and Huntington, even with its problems, is the best area to live in WV - period.

It is on the verge to being a great community - real estate investors from New York are now speculating on properties there. Couple that with unprecendent growth of Marshall University and the 100+Million dollar building projects, you have a community being transformed.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 15,720 times
The Dollar is failing anyway... perhaps WV will print its own money... :-)

Old 08-18-2007, 02:51 PM

277 posts, read 373,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Which city or town do you like the best in West Virginia?

Please tell us what you like about that city. It can be a small town or one of the big ones.

There are several towns I like in West Virginia. I visited Morgantown before and enjoyed it. It is really a quaint town and the college population is a very friendly and open lot there.

I liked Beckley too because it is your typical, small mountain town, but it has a certain old charm to it.

Martinsburg is a different sort of town because I do not think they have the full, West Virginia influence. The town is older and has a lot of history to it. The disappointing factor is that city leaders are not working on this facet to it. To place this in stark comparsion, I will be visiting in September and will only be there for 2 days. I have no intentions of staying longer. If there were more activities within the town, then I would stay a few more days, but once the wedding is done. Buenos Dias, Martinsburg.

I have never been to Charleston or Huntington. Actually I have been to Charleston once or twice and it is just like any other state capital. Nothing against the city, just not a fan of state capitals.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 AM

6 posts, read 26,613 times
Default Parkersburg

I dunno who said Parkersburg had a soaring crime rate.....NOT TRUE. (I feel safe, and I feel safe rasing my kids here.) Ive been all over the state, Morgantown and Clarksburg are nothing great. Beckley, White Sulfer Springs, and Lewisburg are ok I guess. Charleston and Wheelings are so-so.
My vote is PARKERSBURG because it are centerally located to big cities like, Columbus OH, Pittsburg PA, Charleston WV, and Canton/Akron OH.
However its like at least a good hour drive to get to all thoes places so it still feels like a "hometown". We've got the best part of the Ohio River here too.
Next on my list would be Hungiton....I really like it there.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 AM

6 posts, read 26,613 times
Default Parkersburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie911 View Post
I am thinking of moving to West Virginia as an adventure. I am 48 and work for Home Depot. I want to experience life in a state that has 4 seasons. I am from Louisiana and we have almost continuous heat and humidity. My children are grown but 2 may move with me. One works for Wal-Mart and the other in the hospital-medical field. I would like to live in an area that is beautiful but not too remote and that is accessible to the Interstate highways. I would like a place that is considered low crime and preferably near a great state park and college or university. Let me know of some great WV places to live and I will "google" for more information. Thank you.

Chris

Parkersburg is right on I77 and right on the Ohio river. The town is growing, homedepots, walmarts and all.
We have 2 major hospitals in the city and two more right across the river in marietta ohio. The hospital I work at is ST JOSEPHS and its a good hospital to work for. WVU had a large parkersburg branch which offers lots of BA degrees.
Check it out.....
Anywhere in WV def. has 4 seasons.......just be prepaired for the extreme in all cases. Winters are cold, summers are hot. Spring and fall are absoutly beautiful.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 20,807 times
Default Great Small Town- Franklin

FRANKLIN, in Pendleton County, is a yet to be discovered little jewel. I fell in love with this little town 15 years ago, and moved from Morgantown (2 1/2 hrs away). Franklin is unusual in W.Va., because it is so clean and tidy, unlike many other towns in the state. Franklin is really a version of Mayberry, which is what first attracted me to the area. Main Street is lined with white victorian houses, picket fences and well-kept porches that people actually use. The surrounding scenery is some of the best in the state. We are in the "The South Branch Valley", and the rocky south branch of the Potomac River runs right through town, especially enjoyable sitting on the low water bridge watching the rapids as they go around downtown. We are about 20 miles or so (as the crow flies) from Spruce Knob (the highest point in WV), and we are within 12 miles of a spectacular deep rocky canyon, called Smoke Hole. Seneca Rocks, a spectacular large rock outcropping, shooting straight out of the river, is very popular with climbers and hikers is nearby too. The hiking trails and the mountain scenery right out our doorstep is spectacular. Here in Franklin you really feel that you are in a little mountain Valley. Saturday night at the Drive-in Movie theater 2 miles north of town are especially enjoyable. A visit to this will take you back in time. Franklin is a town that likes tourists, and appreciates the money that they bring in, but it doesen't "cater" to tourists with cute boutiques, eateries, etc. You realize how real this place is, and you wonder how this can exist these days. Second homes are all around tucked up in the mountains around Franklin. Buck Ridges is on top of Town and Middle mountain, and consists of about 60 to 70 houses that have spectacular views down over Frannklin, and 4 mountain ranges to the west. 5-10 acre wooded lots go for about $35,000 to $40,000, houses are in the 120k to 200k range. Numerous areas around have similar places, none of the houses are grand, but just nice cottages and cabins. The New 18 hole golf course 5 miles outside of town is beautiful, and they are developing homesites around it as well. 1 hour away (east, over Shenandoah mountain) is Harrisonburg, VA. A college town very similar in demographics, population, etc. to Morgantown, has everything you could want. ALL the big box stores, restaurants, bookstores, etc. including Medical. I have often been relieved that Franklin has never been "discovered" by more people, but it will happen in time. It seems very gradual, but that is best for this area. Franklin has a population of about 1,500 in the immediate area. People are polite, but reserved to outsiders coming in. I feel lucky to have been able to live a lifestyle that is almost completely gone from most other places.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 AM

HI, I just added info to this on Franklin (a small town) it is on the end of the thread, check it out. You would LOVE it here!!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 19,315 times
Default Convience

I don't believe anyone in West Virginia quite understands the word convience. Everything is 'down the road' an understatment for driving 2 hours to the closest mall. Those of us who are fortunate to have ameneties within 5 mins away are somewhat spoiled. Before saying where the best or worst cities are in West Virginia, think access to the outside world. Yes, Huntington is within like a zillion hours away from some random ohio city; and yes charleston has things like an abercrombie? No one thinks Berkeley or Jefferson counties which are now actually considered a suburb of DC and Balitmore by city locals, convience is looked over here. We can catch the train and be in the city in 50 mins. Tell me another couinties with that...

Old 08-21-2007, 04:44 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
Martinsburg is a different sort of town because I do not think they have the full, West Virginia influence.
That's because Martinsburg has been unofficially annexed by DC and will never be WV'ish again. Capitol Hill wouldn't allow it.

Parkersburg's big problem is work. I grew up around there (Fleming/Marietta) and the only real options left these days are to work the union, which some attribute as detrimental, or one of the remaining plants. Sure, there's the Bureau of Public Debt but that's one tough nut to get into. Jobs rarely become available because nobody is crazy enough to leave, and when one does open then there are 12,000 people applying for it. Fentons is closing... But at least Toyota is moving in to the old Walker place in Williamstown and I hear they've bought all the surrounding property for future expansions. The hospitals are good, too, as Marietta Memorial is the largest employer in Washington County.

I would love to be back in the Valley. I've been gone for the most part of 12 years -- I've moved back twice to try and make it but had to end up leaving again -- but for a lot of professionals, especially in a technical/digital field, there's not a lot of options for supporting a family. I really miss all the festivals and fairs around there... also the closeness and sense of community.

Franklin sounds very nice. I'm not familiar with the name but I do know the region from my time growing up camping & fishing around there (Spruce Knob, Huttonsville, West Fork of Greenbriar, Cranberry Glades, etc). No offense, but a town of 1500 sounds like there would be little or no economy. What do folks do to pay the bills 'round there?

Quote:
Tell me another couinties with that...
Well, not everyone has the same priorities so when you ask someone what the "best city" is, their answer is going to be based on what interests them. You might like to be within 50 minutes of town but I spent 3 years in the DC area back in the 80s and have no desire to return (I've passed on several great jobs recently just because that's where they were located). Those neighborhoods come with a high cost and eventually enough they'll also be targeted for high crime. Most of the people who relocate to WV are doing so because that's exactly what they're looking to get away from. Convenience to them is a little piece of mind at the sacrifice of some driving time or lack of a few shopping options.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Work in Franklin

Franklin, there isn't much to do for work, since Hanover shoe shut down, unless you bring your own job with you. The people who do this, such as lawyers, engineers, surveyors, physicians, carpenters, etc. are supported by the local economy. I am fortunate to have a consulting firm (design) that allows me to be within 2 hours of my clients. There are several others that have successful businesses that are like that, that rely on money from Virginia customers. Franklin REALLY needs a Plumber, and also could use a few more electricians, and carpenters here are in short supply. We also could use a good surveyor, as the one here is booked solid. As for cradle-to- grave factory jobs, forget it. A large portion of the population commutes to very good paying jobs over the mountain in Virginia (1 hour), making it an area with a larger than usual middle class, and upper middle class. The Navy base in Sugar Grove (a communications centre for the navy) employs quite a few local civilians too. Jobs in Growing resort area of Hot Springs Virginia (52 miles south) is also providing some good construction and service jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia