Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times

Advertisements

pnc...

It's not guaranteed that a property retains the mineral rights, it's just possible. Back in the oil/gas boom of the early 1900s, a lot of farmers sold the mineral rights under their farms, retaining ownership of the property. So it's very specific to each property whether the gas rights go with the land or not.

As to snow... I'd much rather deal with snow a few times a year, than worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, wretched humidity, earthquakes, droughts, etc., that other parts of the country get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,930 times
It's snowing in the Northern part of WV. Canaan Valley is to get 2-3 inches.

Saw where parts of Pocohontas County are asked to ration water cuz of drought. Waters at Canaan are also very low. Hope snow helps.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM

49 posts, read 107,206 times
Default November 1 and NOT snowing

The temp was over 60 degrees today in Red Lodge which is cooler than
most Montana towns which is why we have the best summers in America.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,413 times
Hinton Bound - I am seriously considering purchasing an older log house in the Hinton area, which has about 3 acres with it. The owner knows I am very interested in it (returning for a second look), and I think he's overpricing it. I've been looking online in the area for some time, and generally know the prices. I've made two trips there to look at property. I don't have a lot of money - this is a major investment for me - and driven strictly by the desire to live in a beautiful place in the mountains. I am going back there this week to look at the place again (I live in Texas) and would like some local input as to how much bargaining I might be able to do. Any way to contact you directly? I don't know how this forum works. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,930 times
Go to Hinton Bound's post on this thread, put your cursor over HB's name and click. A box will pop up and 1 of the options is "Send a direct message to HintonBound". Click on that and you will get a page to write and send your message. HintonBound will get a message in his normal/everyday email that he has a private message. He'll be able to read your message there or in this city-data forum.

PS, Would an appraisal help? We were interested in land in Charleston and thought the owner was asking way too much - could not come to a meeting of the minds so we walked away from it. A few months later heard that someone agreed to his price, but they had to get a mortgage for the property and the bank required an appraisal. The land did not appraise for anywhere near what he was asking so the deal did not go through. We went back and offered him a little more than we originally did, he came down a good bit and agreed to our offer. All-in-all, since he had been making mortgage payments on it all that time, I figure he would have been better off accepting our offer in the first place.

May want to be sure the seller also knows your intentions for the property. I figure there are a lot of farmers, etc. in WV that have sold their land then seen it divided up into subdvisions and the lots sold for a fortune. Can't blame them for being leery. Then again, some people don't really want to sell, they just figure they are sitting on a goldmine and can wait to get big $$ out of their land.

Last edited by vec101; 11-09-2008 at 07:46 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,346 times
It does snow in November, 3" yesterday, and it's now 30 degrees. Winter comes pretty quick.
Hinton Bound, my wife and I came through Morehead, ky last year. I I had childhood memories of visiting there, but it's not the same. Ppl at the hotel and gas station by the freeway barely spoke english and were pretty rude.It felt like California. Only when I got to WV did I feel like I escaped Ca. Still looking over my shoulder in case they followed me.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
It does snow in November, 3" yesterday, and it's now 30 degrees. Winter comes pretty quick.
Hinton Bound, my wife and I came through Morehead, ky last year. I I had childhood memories of visiting there, but it's not the same. Ppl at the hotel and gas station by the freeway barely spoke english and were pretty rude.It felt like California. Only when I got to WV did I feel like I escaped Ca. Still looking over my shoulder in case they followed me.
Pretty strange. I haven't been back to Morehead in 2 years or so. Only place they didn't speak English was the Mexican restaurant .

I'm happy we decided on Hinton- and it's snowing BTW...

Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM

55 posts, read 235,740 times
Snowshoe is claiming on their website that they have received 30" of snow since Saturday. I belive them, since I live at the base of the mountain and have over a foot on the ground.

They are early opeing the resort for ski season on Friday.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:31 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
I live in Martinsburg, WV and it has been flurying for the past few days, but it hasn't been cold enough to stick. Next week, it is supposed to dip down to the mid to low twenty's, so let's hope!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,915 times
My husband and I are also traveling to West Virginia during the week of Thanksgiving for much the same reason...to check out specific areas, determine where we like it best, and to look at some cheap property. We are considering eventually moving in that direction as well...only we are coming from VT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia