Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times

Advertisements

West Virginia Headline News and Talk Radio

What Is Marriage?

The President and CEO of the Family Policy Council of West Virginia says now is the time for a Constitutional Amendment in West Virginia that defines marriage as between one man and one women.

"West Virginians want to define marriage for themselves. The sooner we do that the better," says Jeremy Dys. He says groups pushing for the legalization of same sex marriages are targeting states that, like West Virginia, do not have such Consitutional Amendments.

Connecticut is one of those states. Last week, a court there legalized same sex marriages. Similar steps have already been taken in California and Massachusetts.

Dys says a recent poll shows 73% of West Virginia's registered voters support such a Constitutional Amendment that details the definition of marriage.

"West Virginians want to define marriage. It's just very clear that they want to do that for themselves. They don't want their government setting the policy. I think, most especially, they do not want courts imposing a system that knowingly deprives kids of a mom and a dad," Dys says.

His group had asked Governor Joe Manchin to call an extraordinary session for November so lawmakers could consider the Constitutional Amendment before new legislators take office in January.

The Governor's Office rejected that request saying a Consitutional Amendment is not necessary since West Virginia law already recognizes that same sex marriages are not legal.

Dys says that could be challenged and, likely, will be challenged at some point

(Metro News)

West Virginia Headline News and Talk Radio

No Better Time Than Now

A group of West Virginia pastors say state residents support a marriage amendment and there's no reason to delay putting it on a statewide ballot.
The pastors, supporters of the Family Policy Council of West Virginia, were on hand for a State Capitol news conference Thursday. They want Governor Joe Manchin to call a special session next month to deal with the issue.

They delivered an open letter to his office saying. “Our common belief is that marriage is between one man and one woman, is the foundation for a society that can be home to all human beings, the reflection of our relationship with God, and a cornerstone of our society.”

The governor has already turned down the request saying marriage is already protected.

Cross Lanes Baptist Church Pastor Seth Polk says an amendment to the state constitution would do more. He says state leaders need to protect what is traditional, historical and biblical in its foundations. He says, if not, there will be a continual moving away from a culture that honors neither God nor family.

A poll commissioned by the Family Policy Council of West Virginia shows 73 percent of registered voters in the state say they would support such an amendment.

Pastor Polk says there's overwhelming support so the time is now. He says he's sure supporters of such an amendment in places like Connecticut, Massachusetts and California now wish they wouldn't have waited. "They had a Defense of Marriage Act on the books as well and through judicial whimsy basically it was struck down and marriage was not defended like it should have been even though those people wanted it," Polk said.

The pastor says there's opposition to the proposal but he says it's not an us versus them mindset. "We certainly don't want to disparage anybody that believes differently than we do, but we believe a great majority of West Virginians value family and they want to defend marriage as well and have their voice on it," Polk said.

(Metro News)

So my friends if these measures pass, I will be sending letters from San Diego as soon as I graduate from Marshall. This is ridiculous, I'm not trying to insult anyone’s religious beliefs, because my attitude is you can worship who or whatever you want. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. But what I don't get is why do these pastors feel like its their right to bring their religion into MY personal life. It just doesn't make any sense to me. If they don't agree with gay marriage. My advice for these people against gay marriage is to not get married to their same sex. Problem solved!!! Let the rest of us love who we want and have the same rights as everyone else. It is people like this that keep WV locked in the stigma of anti progression

The issue of legalizing gay marriage isn't even being pushed in WV. That doesn't so much bother me, because I know its coming eventually. But it’s the fact these "people" are trying to make our state offensive to gays and lesbians. Can WV really afford to lose the gay and lesbian community? Myself and Jake for instance... with our professional degree's, progressive lifestyles, and open beliefs.

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 10-16-2008 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:10 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Mr. Manchin is not going to define any position that might come back and bite him in the 'B@((s

If he runs for President after Obama goes down in flames, he must take the professional position of being non-committal on every issue but seemingly be supportive of everyone's opinion now...

Look through the smoke...
West Virginia in all the limelights...looking good as a manager...taking the high road like Mitt Romney...And the Clinton Presidential machine will be long gone...and looking for new faces...

Time has been the factor and MoJo is in the wrong political time warp...needs 4 more years to craft the move...and who would say NO...WV'ians love him like Alaska Loves Sarah P....

and the NRA and the anti-gun, Pro-Life and pro-abortion...everyone likes him...gets all the endorsements...even the UMWA and he runs several scab coal mine operations and a non-union coal powered electric generator station...

This guy is everything to everybody...

I really wish he were running this year...I'd have his signs on our trucks...there's one thing about the money...If their ***** deep in the bucks some will fall out of the bank bags and get to the poor ...It might be by accident, but it might filter down...It's about HOPE and CHANGE...

Where's that Passport...???

Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,274 times
I'm all for gays being married . . they should be miserable like everybody else.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
If a gay couple divorces in West Virginia, are they still brothers?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 AM

r601020...gave you points for that one...hilarious!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If a gay couple divorces in West Virginia, are they still brothers?
ass hat...

do we look like brothers?!

one blonde and one with black hair?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:00 AM

GHO...that was one of those 'incest jokes...like a person being their own grandpa...

get back to the books...mid terms and all that...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Grew up in NE Ohio - there was a bar on every corner. Moved to WV - there is a church on every corner. Had never heard of people going to church on Wednesday nights and was stunned to see the roads packed on Wed PM with people going to church. Old fashioned religious values are strong in the state. Right or wrong? Figure it is not up to us to judge.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:49 PM

They can be as religious as they want to be. But I've never understood where someone thinks because "their" religion says something it should apply to everyone. I love the idea of separation of church and state. But it seems like some church people only like that when its beneficial to them.

So I've decided its morally wrong to wear navy blue. It offends me and my religious beliefs or lack thereof. I will be petitioning to Manchin next week....

DK- I've only had one mid-term this semester. It seems like in my upper-level classes we just have more lectures and discussions than tests.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:00 PM

You have come a 'far piece in a short time...this blog has helped...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia