Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:40 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

And try to remember that in the real world, a baseball bat would usually be answered by a 12ga. Afterall this is West Virginia.

In any event- I sense the ban hammer of doom will soon be upon this thread, lol.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Ohh speaking of which, gun sales are booming for fear of imminent anti gun laws (recently upheld rights in supreme court I might add). Would this also be blamed as a vast liberal elitist hoax forcing people to exchange their 401k's for ammunition for fear of overturned rights?

Who is doing what to whom?

R I didn't respond to your address of me because you seem irrational and I'm guessing your emotions have gotten away. I figured cool out time was in order, wasn't trying to be rude or ignore you outright. I agree with some and disagree with other things you've said, but it's pointless when it's not a two way discussion.

Implying threat of physical violence to a blogger isn't serving whatever point you've been trying to make. Just thought I'd point that out before things get any uglier than you've made them.

Anytime you're ready to post solutions to problems, I don't have you or any regular on ignore. I'm very willing to read that. USA is in a world of doo doo and it needs fixing. Attacking fellow americans will not get it fixed.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:22 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
I know I said I would never post on here again but there were some comments that brought me out of retirement. I normally don't step up to the defense of another on these threads but I simply cannot take this anymore.

GHO...maybe you and I could start a club since we are both now on R601020s "ignore list?" Probably a good thing as this type of irrational behavior is simply unwarranted on a public opinion forum.

I sure hope our moderators are taking note and saying something to a person who is threatening physical violence agaisnt another blogger. Disagreeing with someone is one thing, but the type of comments exhibited by R6 are alarming and suggest a STRONG need for professional help. They aren't funny, nor are they making a valid point.

GHO's political views also have absolutely nothing to do with him being young. They have everything to do with him being intelligent and capable of defending his positions. Although I guess that no longer matters if you don't agree with the Repubs???

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-10-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
There is a wide swath of states that went for McCain, starting with WV, and curving southward through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. With the exception of the latter, all these states are on a downward slide into the 21st century. States like Virginia and North Carolina, which are attracting people to newly developed high tech areas, flipped from long-term Republican to Democratic in the last election. New England, probably the wealthiest part of the country with the best educational institutions, have been decidedly Democratic for years. And the wealthiest farm states in the midwest, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, usually vote Democratic.

There is a message to be found here. I'll leave it to others.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
I know for certain that Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama are not on any downward trend...and the coastal areas of Mississippi was taking in Floridians by the thousands because of high taxes...

I believe you comment is only an opinion and not backed up with any substantial data..How about Michigan and Northern Ohio?...

Virginia, because of DC, has hardly ever suffered a recession and Charlotte and the Tri-cities gave NC a future out of tobacco and that type of share-cropper poverty...

Wv has endured the poverty cast of Democrat rule since 1930...It switched over then and has been held in malaise by them ever since...RC Byrd gave us a future and by damn, Joe (big nose) Manchin is going to take us to a new level still...it may mean replacing the locals with educated teckies but they might get a glimse of the old and real Wv, before its turned into an interior Myrtle Beach...

Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
There is a wide swath of states that went for McCain, starting with WV, and curving southward through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. With the exception of the latter, all these states are on a downward slide into the 21st century. .........

You may want to do a little research on the current economy of the states before you make such comments. Reading several posts/threads on this site would be a good start.

Also, of registered voters in WV in 2008, 56.21% are Democrat, 29.38% are Republican.

Last edited by vec101; 11-16-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-16-2008, 11:28 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
There is a wide swath of states that went for McCain, starting with WV, and curving southward through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. With the exception of the latter, all these states are on a downward slide into the 21st century. States like Virginia and North Carolina, which are attracting people to newly developed high tech areas, flipped from long-term Republican to Democratic in the last election. New England, probably the wealthiest part of the country with the best educational institutions, have been decidedly Democratic for years. And the wealthiest farm states in the midwest, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, usually vote Democratic.

Zeas here's a bit more information to add to the kitty before you draw conclusions. I'm a native NY'r who transplanted myself to WV by choice. I'm not alone. One of my neighbors is from San Fran, another from pittsburg, another from a small town in Ohio.

One of the biggest reasons why I left NY was because civilization as we know it is completely over the top. I want you to know I was making excellent $$ but collective taxes alone ate up 4 +months of my annual salary and 18 yrs of frugal lifestyle saving money I still couldn't own anything in my hometown. Rentals were outrageously priced, combination of greed and compensating for property taxes guaranteeing it would take longer for me to save for the down payment on a home pricetag that regularly stayed out of reach for my entire family. The money I was saving was also heavily taxed and investment vehicles had to be selected based on politics of the day. Utility prices were crippling at 24 cents a KWH, oil heat being standard and the price raised daily. My sisters family relocated to SC over it. They're doing better now than they would have if they stayed. I got to own a home outright for the first time in my life because WV was well within my means whereas northern blue states were not. That excellent education system produced graduates looking for work throughout 'red' and 'blue' states (formerly known as USA before extremist politics decided otherwise).

Extended family relocated to NC years ago prior to mass exodus flocking there driving up RE prices. They're also doing much better because they got there early. I, and they, bring odd perspectives to these new found homes. Some form of cultural exchange happens every single day, and it's a two way street. I learn plenty. That doesn't mean what my family left behind was perfect or why would we leave? Fact is those blue states need to change/grow more than the former red/blue states that are changing/ growing. Enough with the partisan attitudes, let the better solutions prevail. Where the better solutions are allowed to exist outside the fray of bickering power grabs, America is restored.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Also, of registered voters in WV in 2008, 56.21% are Democrat, 29.38% are Republican.
The point I was making is that states like WV, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, et al. are considered by most Americans as "in need" states, and that they voted against their own economic self interest in voting for McCain. It is interesting that Democrats out-register Republicans 56 to 29 in WV, and yet the state went to McCain in the last election. What do you think is the reason?

The New York Times published an interesting study shortly after the election, which showed a colored county-by-county map of voting results in the Appalachian corridor. The colors did not represent the actual 2008 vote, but rather the differential vote, 2008 versus 2004. That is, a county was colored red if more voters voted for McCain (percentage wise) in 2008 than for Bush in 2004. And, vice versa, a county was colored blue if more voters voted for Obama (percentage wise) in 2008 than for Kerry in 2004. The deep red swath through WV and on into Kentucky and Tennessee was striking. The author of the article asked why, after eight years of Republican misrule, a sinking economy, and a complete doofus for VP nominee, did McCain outdraw Obama by a greater margin than Bush beat Kerry in 2004? Why did Appalachia shift more toward the red, while most other sections of the country were drifting toward blue or not changing at all? Was it because of race, an uninformed electorate, or some other reason?

I think discussions of the voting patterns of Appalachia in 2008 will soon seep into the Political Science curriculums in universities around the country.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Zea, here is a bit more information to add to the kitty before you draw conclusions. I am a native NY'r who transplanted myself to WV by choice. I am not alone. One of my neighbors is from San Francisco, another from Pittsburgh, and another from a small town in Ohio.

One of the biggest reasons why I left NY was ...

My extended family relocated to NC years ago ...
You certainly have established your bona fides with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Enough with the partisan attitudes, let the better solutions prevail. Where the better solutions are allowed to exist outside the fray of bickering power grabs, America is restored.
I am not partisan.

I can't decode the sentence concerning "the better solutions being allowed to exist outside the fray of bickering power grabs." What does that mean?
You are not a graduate of the Wasilla School of Elocution, are you?

Keep a sense of humor and try not to let our posts get too personal.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
The point I was making is that states like WV, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, et al. are considered by most Americans as "in need" states, and that they voted against their own economic self interest in voting for McCain. It is interesting that Democrats out-register Republicans 56 to 29 in WV, and yet the state went to McCain in the last election. What do you think is the reason?

The New York Times published an interesting study shortly after the election, which showed a colored county-by-county map of voting results in the Appalachian corridor. The colors did not represent the actual 2008 vote, but rather the differential vote, 2008 versus 2004. That is, a county was colored red if more voters voted for McCain (percentage wise) in 2008 than for Bush in 2004. And, vice versa, a county was colored blue if more voters voted for Obama (percentage wise) in 2008 than for Kerry in 2004. The deep red swath through WV and on into Kentucky and Tennessee was striking. The author of the article asked why, after eight years of Republican misrule, a sinking economy, and a complete doofus for VP nominee, did McCain outdraw Obama by a greater margin than Bush beat Kerry in 2004? Why did Appalachia shift more toward the red, while most other sections of the country were drifting toward blue or not changing at all? Was it because of race, an uninformed electorate, or some other reason?

I think discussions of the voting patterns of Appalachia in 2008 will soon seep into the Political Science curriculums in universities around the country.

Because we liberals have packed our bags, views & ideas, and diplomas and headed for the blue states. Sad but true. I never imagined I would leave WV, but as my political views are constantly coming into conflict with so many others in this state, as well as our elected officials. I find it not worth the headache to stay here once I graduate. I really would feel more comfortable in a "blue" state, as a lot of people do. Just like some people are probably more at home in a red state. Which is fine, everyone is entitled to their own happiness (but not marriage ) I really want to be in a genuinely blue state, WV could be arguably a blue state because of the overwhelming difference is voter registration and current political leaders, but when it comes to liberal vs. conservative. Conservatives will outnumber liberals any day, because generations of liberal Appalachians have moved to other parts of the country.

Sad but true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia