Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 PM

73 posts, read 208,599 times

Advertisements

Student looking for an affordable vehicle in West Virginia (Charleston Area).
Anyone selling his/hers?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
I live in Chicago, and I need my car. So, no. Sorry.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
The current high prices for junkyard scrap has totally deciminated the supply of old cars...they were worth about $300 and most were shredded and send to China...

That market issue has driven the existing suppy price above $1000 to the delight of the auto dealers.
In the 1980's they switched over to more current, higher priced used models because of profit and reliability...

A niche market has emerged...buying an old car and refurbishing it...newer motor, transmission and overhaul..the rustproofing and quality of interiors has made this possible...

I would look for a good salvage yard..and see if they could help...many get repairable vehicles and eventhough they would carry an 'R' Title...It would not matter...or better yet, a source for cheap oarts to give 'Old Nelly-belle a re-birth...good luck...

Old 11-09-2008, 05:32 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
Have you tried the appropriate utilities available? Pick up a local trader (in Parkersburg it's called the Bulletin Board; not sure about Chas) because that's going to be your best chance at finding something on the cheap. Then there are plenty of online alternatives like craigslist, ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, etc.

If you don't mind divulging private information, what price range are you looking at? Any particular requirements that need met? Are you experienced at driving in the snow? Do you want a small econobox or something to accomodate a family?

If you provide some of that information then I'd be more than happy to give you a hand in the search.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 AM

246 posts, read 880,565 times
In chas get the Ad Bulletin. Plenty of jalopies in there.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM

73 posts, read 208,599 times
Thank y all
I am not experienced at driving in snow. Just looking for a small (big also ok) car in good condition. I can spend maxi 2000$ cash, more if with monthly payment or depending on the car (low mil, year, paint, motor etc...)
I m checking on craigslist, since this will be my first car, Im kinda confused.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:23 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emscie View Post
Thank y all
I am not experienced at driving in snow. Just looking for a small (big also ok) car in good condition. I can spend maxi 2000$ cash, more if with monthly payment or depending on the car (low mil, year, paint, motor etc...)
Snow isn't so hard to drive in...it's the ice that is tricky. Do you have someone who can teach you the ropes about driving on bad roads?

I just stay home now unless I have to go out. And if it's icy, I refuse to go anywhere. To many cliffs to slide off of in my neck of the woods.

If I were you, I'd go for an big older model car that still has real metal in it.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:57 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
Snow isn't so hard to drive in...it's the ice that is tricky. Do you have someone who can teach you the ropes about driving on bad roads?
Growing up in NY, we went to the mall parking lot on snow days to learn to drive in the snow. Donuts, hard braking, sliding around...best confidence builders out there. Now the cops wait in the parking lots, and hand out reckless driving tickets for donuts. Too bad.

Look in the classifieds of any local paper, you'e bound to find something out there. An older 4WD toyota pick up would be a nice find...

Old 11-24-2008, 07:40 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Don't forget to check the Surplus Property in Dunbar for state vehicles that can be sold to the public.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emscie View Post
Thank y all
I would look for a Subaru (Legacy, Outback, Forrester or Impreza). Their AWD system is one of the best on the markets and every Subaru model comes with it standard, so that will help in the snow. The AWD eats up a little efficiency, but most people still report 25-30+ MPG (I get 25-28 in my Outback Sport). If you get a wagon then it'll make things easy to toss all your gear (and dirty laundry) in the back when you head home to visit (I believe you said you're a student). Up there they are plentiful enough that $2000 will get you a semi-decent older model, or will make a nice down-payment on a newer model (if going with a 2.5 Outback, and looking to finance, I would go with an '04 or newer to avoid the spotty head gasket issues).

Don't be afraid of older models with high miles. My family has been driving Subarus for more than 20 years (there is only 1 member in my entire paternal family that drives something that's not a Subaru; our thanksgiving dinner thursday will look like a Subaru lot... ) and my old man has taken several of them to 250k miles, a couple to 300k miles, and even took 1 to 500k miles.

You could get something like a 97 Legacy with 150-175k miles for $2000 (don't be shocked, down here that same car would be more than twice that due to there rarity) and it would probably last you another 5 years with nothing more than routine maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia