Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:14 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombley View Post
To have a place to get away from my own personal life here. My husband is one of the biggest "transplant" bashers around me.
Well heck, why didn't ya just say so? I could use some experienced bashers in my committee to keep WV pure. Just put some chickens in your front yard and we'll know you are our kin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,287 times
"cluck cluck cluck" I just had to swat one of my chickens off the kitchen table as it darn near **** on my laptop! "wink" Now we're talking the same language Alice! I live in a humble abode in "Rut"land County in VT.....aka the armpit of society. A traffic jam in my area is getting stuck behind a tractor trying to travel up Rte 22A. I have to work in our State's 2nd largest city, but I HATE the atmosphere.....although many of us are forced to venture out of our safety zone in order to make a pretty penny...or a corroded one. Trying to get away from the highest taxed state (although beautiful) is my future goal. My husband likes West Virginia...he has a cousin that lives down there in Jumping Branch...so it's the only way he'll stray out of his safety zone...cause he has kin down there. Anywhere else, I don't stand a chance....but we do need to make a few trips down there to get our heads on straight.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Curious - of all the areas in WV, how did you happen to find/consider Bluefield?

I don't want to offend anyone from the area, but it wouldn't be near my top on list of places.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
but it wouldn't be near my top on list of places.
I 'spect they're after the free lemonade in the summer.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombley View Post
"cluck cluck cluck" I just had to swat one of my chickens off the kitchen table as it darn near **** on my laptop! "wink" Now we're talking the same language Alice! I live in a humble abode in "Rut"land County in VT.....aka the armpit of society. A traffic jam in my area is getting stuck behind a tractor trying to travel up Rte 22A. I have to work in our State's 2nd largest city, but I HATE the atmosphere.....although many of us are forced to venture out of our safety zone in order to make a pretty penny...or a corroded one. Trying to get away from the highest taxed state (although beautiful) is my future goal. My husband likes West Virginia...he has a cousin that lives down there in Jumping Branch...so it's the only way he'll stray out of his safety zone...cause he has kin down there. Anywhere else, I don't stand a chance....but we do need to make a few trips down there to get our heads on straight.
A decent retirement is possible here because the $ goes much further for bare necessities. The social worker across the street from me makes a decent living and he's originally from san fran. He came here with an appreciation for the state as-is & works with what he's got quite well. I'm a transplant from NY owning a house that would've kept me working OT for 30yrs & consumed my retirement in property taxes up yonder. I love my neighbors and they love me right back. Respect begets respect and they know I've got their back just like they've got mine on our modest city block.

Lower taxes are possible here because WV'ns haven't demanded higher levels of gov't service be provided. Whether anyone attributes that to restricted economy for 100yrs is moot. Upside translates to greater freedom in ways that might cost a bit more or less (city water vs well water for instance). Imposing expectations for amenities will result in your current state tax structure. Or CA's. Or NY's.

Municipalities & counties aren't able to string themselves out in debt/ tax on tax due to state charter. Blessing and a curse. In light of national economy WV is seeing it's blessings more clearly. Slow and steady wins the race. I think for outsiders to live here they really need a calling for it. Those who feel the trappings of civilization are overrated seem to express few regrets or complaints.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Oh....we haven't officially decided on Bluefield....that is where the gentleman is offering a deal on the home he is trying to sell. It is a total rehab project...and honestly I don't know what we will decide once we see it. There's another one in Sophia that we've considered...but that one may be sold. We need something "cheap" not because we're cheap...but because it will be a second home until the rest of our plan falls into place. We can't afford anything that isn't a total rehab...or hobby home. I will call it a hobby home because it isn't for flippin'...that's what fingers are for. Maybe we'll just rent a motel room!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM

tromb I found it impossible to shop for a house online. The real estate agents just wouldn't take the faces they couldn't see seriously. I did wind up living in a motel/hotel for about a month or so when I was in the relocation process. My possessions stayed in storage until I had a fixed address and got it into living shape. Replacing drywall around furniture makes for a difficult $$$ job and unnecessarily risks damage.

You aren't pressed for time, so come on down for an extended vacation time in springtime or summertime and give yourself time to wander. Real estate availability is on your side and I'd rather see you make practical decisions rather than hasty ones. Due diligence= few regrets.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Thank you Harborlady....I agree that making a hasty decision will be costly. We do have time on our side and considering this fact, we can mold the future into what we desire. How long ago did you relocate? My husband wants to travel this weekend...but I am apprehensive that the holiday traffic will be too stressful. I hope I can get him to see the light!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Goodness I wouldn't be caught dead on I95 between now and sunday. Day after turkey is when middle aged women get in minivans dressed for football and kill each other over $5 toasters.

I relocated last jan/feb and found my house in april/may. Coming from Vermont I'm sure you're used to winter driving, but it can make for a stressful haul. Tell hubby just because y'all know how to drive in snow doesn't mean he won't be sharing the road with others who don't. That ought to fix the wild hair.

Between now and spring go search out towns and cities on city-data statistics website. I found the more specific I could get about what I wanted the easier it came to me. Landandfarm.com has dozens of listings for larger parcels. City lot size being enough for you the local agents have ample inventory, but from afar you can keep an eye on listings online with the local papers. My area was covered by the charleston gazette classifieds. They emailed me the new listings for as long as I needed. Good place to do homework. Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV - Classifieds

I'm assuming you're planning on continuing social work. That being the case I think the logical place to start is hook up with trade agencies/ affiliations that can give you an idea where your work will be, and follow through on real estate end of the equation from that point. New(er) construction is rare, old construction is abundant.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
If the Greenbrier River Valley is within the region you're considering, you could look at Red Oak Realty's web site. They list everything from raw land and hunting camps under $30K, up to condos at Snowshoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia