U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,057,219 times

Advertisements

What about Beckley, not Berkeley. You know the town in Raleigh County?
I hear just about everything in regard to every town in WV, but nothing about Beckley.....

Just how is this town?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM

967 posts, read 2,892,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
What about Beckley, not Berkeley. You know the town in Raleigh County?
I hear just about everything in regard to every town in WV, but nothing about Beckley.....

Just how is this town?
Terrible, just awful... don't even mention it again!

Really, it's a great city. Lots of new stores, including Starbucks, Lowes, Super Walmart, Movie theater, restaurants, Tamarac, several nice hospitals (including VA)...oh, and of course Tractor Supply- my personal favorite. Has Mountain State University as well. They have a pre-K through 12 right on the campus. Most of the seniors have their first year of college complete before graduating HS. Pre-K to Masters in the same system.

Right at the cross of I-77 and I-64, it's growing. I'm about 15 minutes east on I-64.

Great place with a lot going on... you just never hear about it. Heck, can't even get craigslist to put it on their site

~Mark

Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,123,791 times
I like Beckley and LOVE the people there. Out of every "development" I have seen in WV, Glade Springs (resort and private homes there) is the one I would most want to live in. Only problem with Beckley is the weather and the road going from Beckley to Chas. (trucks fly like crazy people). Although only an hour from Chas, Beckley is at a much greater elevation - they get a lot more bad roads, snow, etc. than Chas.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:15 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,821,312 times
If the Obama Rama's kill the coal industry...Beckley will be a ghost town...

when nearby...see the jewel of Wv...Tamarac

Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 AM

I have seen both postives and negatives about Beckley. Granted, I'm a Berkeley native and folks keep saying, "you from Beckley?" Nope, never been there. I also understand that the late Gilligan (Bob Denver) lived in Beckley.

How is the crime rate there? Not bad?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,821,312 times
Since that gift of 'pot came in the mail to Bob or did he send some to a co-star? lost in the memory bank somewhere....the crime rate is low....

Is that a viable question...many Wv small towns are letting the cops go to jobs elsewhere...can't afford them and really don't have any crime...a little town near us had one burglary in a 25 year period and knew who the 15 yr old criminal was...let their cops go this fall but park the cruisers in various locations.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 PM

930 posts, read 2,063,335 times
So glad to hear Becky is finally a good place, I was born there, but we moved when I was 3. I did go back and go to hs there for one semester. A Starbucks, will wonders ever cease? That's fantastic. And so happy that you like Tractor Supply, my husband is a store manager for them. I have a lot of good memories there. My grandparents lived there until their deaths. My grandfather owned, I think it was Raleigh or Dingess junkyard. It is where the Hardees? and Dollar General? are now and sorry but I don't know the road. If you know where that is, my grandmother's house was the two story brick across the street from Hardees and beside, used to be lawnmower shop.(don't have a clue if it still is or what is there now. One that leads from downtown to where the mall is, was. I haven't been there in years, other than to go to an Aunts funeral this year.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,123,791 times
Actually, Beckley has 2 Starbucks (unless they recently closed one with Starbucks closing down so many shops).

You should drive into Glade Springs and see the houses there - WOW WOW WOW.

The guy that made that McDonald's movie is from Beckley (the one where he ate only McD's for a month). He also has a show on TV called 30 Days. In one episode he lived and worked as a deep coal miner for a month -- it was really good.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 AM

5,299 posts, read 12,809,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I have seen both postives and negatives about Beckley. Granted, I'm a Berkeley native and folks keep saying, "you from Beckley?" Nope, never been there. I also understand that the late Gilligan (Bob Denver) lived in Beckley.

How is the crime rate there? Not bad?
According to city data, the overall crime rate in Beckley is quite high, higher than the overall average in the country.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
According to city data, the overall crime rate in Beckley is quite high, higher than the overall average in the country.
I saw that, but the more I investigated I found that most of the reasoning is theft, which is inclusive of shoplifting etc. As far as violent crime, Beckley has not seen a Murder or attempted murder in 10 years. Any assault is terrible, but 6 total against women is not above the norm, though any violence 1 or more is terrible in my opinion. In comparison to Atlanta or suburbs of, Beckley looks to be a Mayberry in comparison. For example, the City of Atlanta is averaging a violent crime every day of the week and on track for a murder every 2 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia