Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Virginia's Northern Panhandle: What is it (culturally)?
Northeastern 19 22.89%
Southern 5 6.02%
Midwestern 16 19.28%
"Uniquely Appalachian" 32 38.55%
Other/a mix (please explain!) 11 13.25%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times

Advertisements

I always felt Pittsburgh had more influence on the NP than WV; therefore, I voted a mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM

632 posts, read 832,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I always felt Pittsburgh had more influence on the NP than WV; therefore, I voted a mix.

Northern panhandle is definitely heavily influenced by Pittsburgh. I wouldn't call Pittsburgh northeast so I guess mix works. The NP it is definitely a northern "rust belt" area, don't know what the people who voted "south" were thinking. I tend to use I-64 as the north/south divider. This applies to VA, KY, etc as well as WV

Old 05-18-2016, 04:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
I worked in Wheeling and did a consulting project in Weirton. The northern panhandle as a whole is most connected with Ohio and next Pennsylvania. Weirton is more connected with PA than Wheeling because of the proximity to the airport and shopping in Robinson Twp, PA. People in Fayette and Greene counties in PA have more of a southern accent than people in the panhandle. The people in this area usually refer to themselves as being from the "Valley."

Old 05-22-2016, 10:44 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I worked in Wheeling and did a consulting project in Weirton. The northern panhandle as a whole is most connected with Ohio and next Pennsylvania. Weirton is more connected with PA than Wheeling because of the proximity to the airport and shopping in Robinson Twp, PA. People in Fayette and Greene counties in PA have more of a southern accent than people in the panhandle. The people in this area usually refer to themselves as being from the "Valley."

I think it's about a 60/40 split if you grew up in the NP but even then it depends. It's a little more connected with Ohio because of the NP having populated Ohio towns right across the river. Whereas when you enter PA from Weirton or Wheeling you have to drive about 20 miles through Washington County before you re-enter civilization.

If someone permanently moved to the NP from somewhere else they will probably connect more with PA. Since most people that do take advantage of the close proximity to Pittsburgh and there's a good chance it was at least part of the reason they chose the NP.

I like the NP because you have a lot of options and there's a ton of different things to do within a 120 mile radius, if there's nothing going on in my city that I'm interested in.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 PM

129 posts, read 179,015 times
It's 100% pure Rust Belt.
Especially Hancock, Brooke and Ohio Counties.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Northern panhandle is definitely heavily influenced by Pittsburgh. I wouldn't call Pittsburgh northeast so I guess mix works. The NP it is definitely a northern "rust belt" area, don't know what the people who voted "south" were thinking. I tend to use I-64 as the north/south divider. This applies to VA, KY, etc as well as WV
Curious, why wouldn't you call Pittsburgh northeastern?

Old 07-12-2016, 06:18 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I think it's about a 60/40 split if you grew up in the NP but even then it depends. It's a little more connected with Ohio because of the NP having populated Ohio towns right across the river. Whereas when you enter PA from Weirton or Wheeling you have to drive about 20 miles through Washington County before you re-enter civilization.

If someone permanently moved to the NP from somewhere else they will probably connect more with PA. Since most people that do take advantage of the close proximity to Pittsburgh and there's a good chance it was at least part of the reason they chose the NP.

I like the NP because you have a lot of options and there's a ton of different things to do within a 120 mile radius, if there's nothing going on in my city that I'm interested in.
You don't consider West Alexander to be civilization?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:22 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Curious, why wouldn't you call Pittsburgh northeastern?
I'm a Wheeling native. Anything west of the Allegheny Mountain Range and north of a line running about 30 miles south of Sutton West Virginia is definitely a mix of Midwestern and northern Appalachian. That includes Wheeling, the Morgantown through Bridgeport, WV corridor, and Pittsburgh. Wheeling actually historically has less Appalachian influence than does Pittsburgh, especially in terms of speech. Appalachian influence extends to the middle of Ohio and areas south of or near I-70 as far west as Zanesville-Newark too.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:28 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm a Wheeling native. Anything west of the Allegheny Mountain Range and north of a line running about 30 miles south of Sutton West Virginia is definitely a mix of Midwestern and northern Appalachian. That includes Wheeling, the Morgantown through Bridgeport, WV corridor, and Pittsburgh. Wheeling actually historically has less Appalachian influence than does Pittsburgh, especially in terms of speech. Appalachian influence extends to the middle of Ohio and areas south of or near I-70 as far west as Zanesville-Newark too.
Agreed, but it's still a northeastern city in so much as Buffalo, Rochester, Corning, etc. are as well.

I'd say it is certainly not east-coastal at all, and neither are the above.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Agreed, but it's still a northeastern city in so much as Buffalo, Rochester, Corning, etc. are as well.

I'd say it is certainly not east-coastal at all, and neither are the above.
I won't disagree with that. In fact, my wife is from Schenectady, and you could throw that city in the mix too. Wheeling and Schenectady are virtually identical in terms of cultural attributes. So are Pittsburgh and Steubenville.

That said, there are definitely pockets in proximity to Pittsburgh, Wheeling, Morgantown-Clarksburg, and Zanesville that are distinctly Appalachian, mostly because they are old coal towns that are very different than the larger industrial centers nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia