Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 35,693 times

Advertisements

We wants to go on vacation to see snow, someone told me winterplace in WV, can anyone give me any information to good places to go after christmas to see snow !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Where are you coming from?

I'd head to the mountains at or near Canaan Valley or Snowshoe (Snowshoe is a ski resort, Canaan Valley has 2 ski resorts but is part of a Ntl Forest, etc.)
VISIT CANAAN VALLEY | BLACKWATER FALLS | TUCKER COUNTY | WEST VIRGINIA

At the rate we are going so far, doubt if you will have a hard time finding snow just about anywhere in WV then. We've been having more of an earlier winter than we've had in the last few years.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up Winter vacation

I'm coming from lakeland florida

Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 AM

R you from WV?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
I'll second the suggestion of the Canaan Valley area. Both Canaan Valley State Park and Blackwater Falls State Park have both lodges and cabins to stay in. And CV gets 120-160 inches of snow a year, so there's no doubt, especially after Christmas, that you'll see snow.

Snowshoe is a traditional ski resort, with all the pluses and minuses that implies. There's really no town around it, it's just the resort and that's it.

If skiing isn't important, Watoga State Park has cabins, and Pipestem Resort State Park has a large lodge, as well as a number of cabins.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saritafc View Post
R you from WV?
Me? I've lived in WV for about 25 years. Live in Chas, have a cabin in Canaan Valley. Glad to answer any questions you have.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Winter vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Me? I've lived in WV for about 25 years. Live in Chas, have a cabin in Canaan Valley. Glad to answer any questions you have.
Do you rent your Cabin?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 AM

240 posts, read 732,100 times
Here is the link to Winterplace. I can see Flattop and there is snow there.

Winterplace Ski Resort

As mentioned, there are several state parks nearby including Pipestem with lodges and cottages. Also close to Beckley for shopping and restaurants.

Best of both worlds. Amenities and wilderness and the snow you're looking for.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saritafc View Post
Do you rent your Cabin?
No, can't get my hubby out of it long enough.

Not sure how many of you there are but do know of a cabin that sits on a great lot (5 acres) in a great location (in front of a lake with the mountain across from it). It's in Old Timberline - gated community but houses are spread out and the whole neighborhood is gorgeous.
Goto Welcome to Timberline Resort Realty, Inc. (http://www.timberlinerealty.com/trr6.html - broken link)
Look at Blackwater #15. Click on it then click on Additional Photos on the next webpage. Play with that page - you can view all the inside rooms, outside, etc.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM

59 posts, read 101,313 times
I'll second, third, fourth, nineteenth for Canaan valley. I got it's name for it's resembles to the cold plains in Canada. Plus... it's just damn gorgeous no matter what time of year up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia