Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:53 AM

413 posts, read 938,172 times

Advertisements

I HAD a job, but it was only a 6 month appointment. It was sad.

As for the lights, I believe it has to do with the color of the lights. Sodium vapor appears kind of yellow, a bit like sunlight in a fog (to a bird, I guess). Birds see things differently from humans. The wavelengths they can see surpass ours. But birds are NOT my area of expertise (if they were, I'd have hundreds of jobs working in the midwest! Damn waterfowl). I believe Dominion donated the lights to the school, and they'll work together to figure out a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:23 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Ahhh thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

As for jobs-- I hope the suggestions from adam and GHO pan out for you. I'm thinking wildlife mgmt in charleston amounts to keeping deer off city streets and it's a hefty commute from white sulphur springs.

I googled BLM for WV and they have coal lease going on in Wayne county near KY border-- nothing else for WV going on with them.
Documents

Civil service for the state...
Division of Personnel Home, State Human Resources
You'll likely have people at that site that know where Fed listings are posted as well.

private industry type listings...
West Virginia Jobs
https://www.workforcewv.org/

Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
The big mining companies will have wildlife/environmental types on staff, but the smaller ones probably hire consulting companies on an as-needed basis.

Michael Baker Corp. was big in engineering and environmental consulting both back in the 70s... Link, but there are a number of others.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Welcome back Newt. Good luck finding a job. I can't help you there.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Newt: I've said this before..."Jobs are taken...captured! They are doled out at McD's and Hardee's..

Set your sights on the job you want and plot the plan to make it happen...

Get out of this ('6 pack and 'nickle bag mentality on payday) mentality...

Life is to0 short...separate yourself from the 'Dweebs and capture a position...it's a battle, and worthwhile.

Wv needs leaders just like you for its future...if you've read these blogs you know our history...one of non-involvement by the people...and abuse by its greedy leaders...all of them.

Your field is most important to this precious eco-system we call WV...It will be protected for future others by the committment you make today...
You let it addict you last summer...spend you life keeping it safe...
go get YOUR job and tell them why you want that job...deep down they will envy you and help..they will want you on their team...

eventually, as time goes by, they will hand over their job to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia