Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a lesson in West virginia Political Science to me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM

413 posts, read 937,702 times
So, the WV DNR says:

Training and Experience Rated Score: 90.00
Applications are now being processed by job class.

I wonder if that's good.
Correlated to that, I wonder where I could find a decent rental in Hampshire Co. I assume that's where the post is, but I couldn't say which city. Again, I assume Romney, just for size. But who knows.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
Some nice little eataries in Romney...nice train ride too...better check on that rental...times awastin'....you know yur gettin' the job...but what if the dept has a nice empty chalet somewhere? or one of those old FEMA trailers from the '85 flood...
We have every confidence in your ability to survive...remember the glades at Snoeshoe and that family of bigfoot there?

In 5 years, you will be a hillbilly like the rest of us...I'm tellin' you it's in the water...

Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM

I will live out of my tent before living in a Formaldehyde can-dominum.

After all the stress these holidays, I think the best part about getting this job would be telling my inlaws that Richard's dropping out of school and we're moving 8 hours away. Priceless!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,371,710 times
I believe WVU, Mountain State, and probably others have satellite campuses or offer off-campus classes. Maybe there is on near Romney. (Hubby had taken some Masters classes at Jackson's Mill, I had taken a couple classes at night at a high school near us).

Old 12-30-2008, 06:13 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
I visited some folks in Moorefield and then on to Romney today. I went home via Ft. Ashby up to Cumberland. I saw some apt buildings along my travels, some looked nice from the outside- solid brick etc..

My godfather has a two bedroom 900 sq.ft. one story log cabin outside of PawPaw he's looking to rent. It's a few minutes up the mountain from Stony Creek along the Cacapon. Might be a bit far but it sure is peaceful. My godfather is a forester and commercial appraiser.. Both he and his wife live just down the road a stretch from the cabin and they are terrific, just terrific. Spent Thanksgiving with them and their extended family.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Threerun, if I'm in that area, I will definitely drop you a line. Hubby's majoring in Forestry, and I bet he'd like a little 'manly woods talkin'. lol.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM

There are occasions he could use some help on timber cruises..

It's a really nice area. I've been hunting in and around that area for a good while. I think I know every tree by name now!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 PM

Richard just laughed when I told him about that. I think he finds WV more appealing every day. How are forestry type jobs around there? He's majoring in Forestry, and probably has enough to get a certificate, but not enough for a degree. He's also quite the maintenance man. He's worked maintenance for the dorm complex for three years, odds and ends: plumbing, electrical, mechanical, carpentry. If we do move down there, he'll want either a full time job, or a part time job and continue toward his forestry degree.

I've done some forestry work myself a time or two. I researched carbon flux (in regards to global warming) in black spruce trees in bog plantations in northern Manitoba. My last job was two-fold: studying aspen regeneration in clear-cut forests, and researching whether a timber cruise provides an accurate representation of coarse woody debris distribution within a stand. Was interesting, and I learned a lot. I can ID every Michigan tree species by bark/bud (useful in the winter), and most North American species by leaves/bark/buds. Not necessarily a fun party trick, but handy to have, I suppose.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 AM

He'd fit right in. One of the guys that does work for him is also a heavy equipment operator. He can wield a track-hoe like no other I've seen. (Which comes in very handy when we're cutting firewood.. Just stick the arm out and *whack* the tree down then pick it up to cut at waist height, lol.. They're all pretty much jack-of-all trades guys.

I'd imagine you'd learn a lot from these guys as they've been woodsmen all their lives. I know I learn more 'stuff' everytime I'm with them. Never knew the origins of the Serviceberry (pron.- 'Sar-vis barry' by us hicks) bush/tree until a few years ago.

I think forestry work is a little slow right now. I know the MeadWestvaco plant near Ft. Ashby (I think) is holding its' own.. Of course it's now owned by Cerberus, which is not neccesarily a good thing depending on who you talk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia