Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,339 times

Advertisements

HELP. My 18 year old son and I lived in Atlanta. We moved to Virginia Beach and I met my husband who is from VB. We have a 9 month old and now my husband has a job offer, we need to choose between Beckley, Weston or Inez. I am from a large city, my husband is from a city also. I am scared about moving to WV, after reading all the posts people have some good but allot of bad. Can anyone give me some good honest advise and what is better, jobs, housing, entertainment, schools. I have NO DESIRE to move to place where people sit on the porch all day watching the neighbors then telling the town about what they saw, I want nothing to do with gangs and drugs. Thanks for the advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 02:00 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
I have never heard of Inez before... I'm not really sure if thats near a larger city or what. Beckley is a decent size city, I believe its not to far from Charleston via the interstate. I would personally go for Weston though. It is smaller though but there are bigger places around it, and its right on I-79. Its decently close to Buckhannon, Clarksburg/Bridgport, Elkins, and Fairmont. Pretty much anything you'd need could be found in those places

Old 03-07-2007, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,339 times
Thank you very much for the information. I read my statement I guess it could be taken a bit harsh, sorry. I know NOTHING about this area and I am trying to read as much as I can. I want to find the best places for my family, a good place to make friends and have a life. Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM

107 posts, read 361,108 times
Beckley is the closest of those three Charleston is 1hr30 away roanoke va 2hours away and charrlotte 3..Its one of the fastest growing areas as well in the state

Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
If your going to Weston, why not check out Buckhannon.
Wesleyan College...has work there...and is certainly a step up from Weston. Close to the shopping in Bridgeport, Morgantown and Pittsburgh...
Worth a good look and on the direct trail to Virginia Beach.
West Virginia is not for the weak in the knees...It takes slow sipping of the mountain air to get used to it.
There are a lot of wonderful lakes and mountain trout streams in this area, and Buckhannon is kind of cosmopolitan in a small way because of the college.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM

306 posts, read 1,243,198 times
Beckley don't see to many on the porch.........shoot they are all in the overcrowding roads of this over cramped town...........trying to get to work and back or just thru it for work is a darn nitemare............i can't believe i am writing this Beckley is too crowded for me........YIKES...........i am sooooo glad i am in the outskirts........mostly our neighbors are out tending lawns and waving to each other..after a HARD day at work..well alot of mine work NITES...........got to love it......wouldn't trade it for a thing...best neighbors u can find for a wife of an otr driver.........they sure help me out in a pinch..........LOL Tee(soon to be called one of their own ok maybe a few more years)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 AM

15 posts, read 45,581 times
Beckley!! Especially if you're coming from Atlanta. The other two places are so small, they have nothing to offer! Beckley is actually a progressive place!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:48 PM

101 posts, read 311,719 times
You poor soul... I grew up in Beckley and it soooo sucks and to come from a real city! Its gonna be major culture shock! I mean of the 3 Beckley has the most to offer, but it won't be what your used to.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
Beckley is the biggest city of the three. If I had to pick I'd go there. I'm hoping to move south--closer to beaches and nicer weather.West Virginia is a beautiful state but I don't like winter at all!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
Cool im from crum, west virginia

Look im from crum, west virginia and i grew up in and around inez and beckly. inez is a pretty cool place to live and raise a family. sure its a small place but everyone knows everyone and there is a lot of love there. beckley is the same way even though it is little bigger. but just wanted to put my 2 cents in......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia