Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:32 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times

Advertisements

I've been told that the gas in the north comes from northern refineries, while the gas in the southern part of WV comes from the gulf. Or rather doesn't come from the gulf after a hurricane. So how's the availability?

Is there a gas-o-line across the middle of the state where it's plentiful above but scarce below?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,944 times
Cheapest and Most Expensive Gasoline in West Virginia
West Virginia Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in West Virginia

Charleston Area
http://www.westvirginiagasprices.com...008&ft=A&tl=48

Gas / Oil Chart
http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.ga...inia,,&Unit=US $/G

Doesn't answer your question. I use this website to find local prices . . also to monitor California gas prices, they're higher, but we're usually not far behind them.

Last edited by r601020; 09-13-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 12:57 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
There's no magic dividing line, and where your gas comes from can vary, depending on conditions.

Gasoline is shipped via pipelines from the Gulf, the Great Lakes, the East Coast, and wherever refineries are located, to terminals that serve your area. Like the road system, there's a degree of flexibility built in. If a refinery in the Great Lakes, for example, is offline due to maintenance, more gasoline will be shipped from some other area. The oil companies try to get the supplies to your local terminal via the least expensive method, using a mathematical technique called linear programming.

If there are long term outages in the Gulf, I would expect the oil companies to redirect shipments from other areas into regions served by the Gulf refineries. So far, I haven't heard anything about how much damage has been done to the wells or refineries in the Houston area.

Oil and its constituents are commodity items, and to the extent there's a shortfall, I would expect prices to rise. Interestingly, the price of home heating oil is now at its lowest since last March, and did not spike on Friday, even when it was clear that Ike was headed straight at the Houston area.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Gas for the Huntington area most likely comes from Marathon refinery right across the river in Ashland, KY

Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Well the terminals in my town (knoxville) are bone dry and spiking through the roof. Fortunately my gas tank is full so I have enough fuel to get to your fair state, just want some reassurance there'll be enough to get home.

A refinery in Ashland, who knew? Does the oil come in by barge or pipeline or is it home grown?

Thanks for the links r601, it does indicate that gas is 50c higher in Martinsburg than Princeton, for example.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
The refinery at Ashland uses only domestic regional oil stocks....was going to be scrapped...refurbished instead and has made BP, Marathon billions...by rights, should be almost at the $2.75 old days level, but its about making the money...buy some of their stock...will only get better...

Crude went under $100...prices are inflated...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 09-13-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 06:20 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Thanks for the links r601, it does indicate that gas is 50c higher in Martinsburg than Princeton, for example.
Whew!
Knox hit with gas shortage : Business : Knoxville News Sentinel

Raleigh, NC . . same story.
Raleigh Gas Shortage Tip | New Raleigh, NC

Looks like some states are having problems.
http://www.westvirginiagasprices.com...500&ft=A&tl=48

Relative in Virginia Beach, VA area says ditto "out of gas" signs. Relative in Orlando says ditto "out of gas" signs.

Fill-up in Virginia along I-81 around Wytheville before coming here, it's cheaper gas. West Virginia has higher taxes on gas than Virginia, 49.9 vs. 38.0 cents per gallon. We jumped .20 cents, to $4.05 in Charleston this morning.

Refineries along the upper Texas Gulf Coast account for about one-fifth (20%) of the nation's refining capacity. AAA says it's a short-term supply problem, coupled with people making a run on gas, created problems, and the refineries won't be able to be assessed until Ike is out of the way -- tomorrow.

Here's a story :
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Sep...Energy,00.html

Last edited by r601020; 09-13-2008 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 06:42 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
..And the media and politicians will sell you on the notion that the current price is tied to output and our usage. Hasn't gotten much press, but the dollar is on the rise. That's really what drives the price of oil we see everyday. Dollar closed at it's highest level in 5 months...and now oil is the lowest it's been in 5 months.

Gas companies have no reason to lower the price at the pump. They jammed us for months, and we didn't balk at the price. They know we'll pay it,and we're too inept as a society to organize against them.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,573 times
Ooh! Me! I've got gas! I'll fill up your car if you give me another burrito!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The refinery at Ashland uses only domestic regional oil stocks....was going to be scrapped...refurbished instead and has made BP, Marathon billions...by rights, should be almost at the $2.75 old days level, but its about making the money...buy some of their stock...will only get better...

While I agree prices are inflated, the rise isn't because oil has dropped... the price of oil, in this instance, has little to do with the price. Refineries, where crude oil is processed and turned into various things such as diesel, gasoline, toueline (sp?), etc. have been affected by Ike. So, while the supply of crude has gone up (since demand has gone down), the supply of gasoline (because of the refineries) has gone down, causing the price to increase.

However, the price shouldn't have increased as much as it has in some parts of the country.

Oh well, here in Washington State we haven't been affected at all. Gas has actually gone down a little bit in the past few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia