Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:07 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times

Advertisements

The German influence is heavy all across that region, especially
Maryland all the way through Monongalia County, WV and up
thorough PA to Wheeling. But, I don't think it is the German
part of the local culture that gives Shennandoah it's distinctive
character. It is the Old English planter part that spreads through
VA and parts of North Carolina. It's also found in parts of New
England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 01:18 PM

152 posts, read 221,442 times
southern WV has a little Southern Culture but north not

Old 12-25-2009, 06:15 PM

79 posts, read 140,845 times
Going there from kentucky is definitely a good choice. Truthfully I think everything about West Virginia is southern except for the cold.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd32127 View Post
Going there from kentucky is definitely a good choice. Truthfully I think everything about West Virginia is southern except for the cold.
It just depends on where you find yourself. Parts of the state have a pretty southern feel, and others very little. Of course, you could say basically the same thing about Ohio or Illinois.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 AM

105 posts, read 353,433 times
Historically, West Virginia chose not to be part of the South when it mattered. Slavery didn't make economic sense for WV and they can be proud that their ancestors didn't feel the need to fight to maintain that horror. When the Southern homeland was invaded, they did not stand shoulder-to-shoulder with their fellow Virginians. So, WV cannot to be considered Southern.

WV chose to split with Virginia because they have their own cultural, economic, and political identity that is more aligned with Appalachia, the mountains, and the North.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:19 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
Historically, West Virginia chose not to be part of the South when it mattered. Slavery didn't make economic sense for WV and they can be proud that their ancestors didn't feel the need to fight to maintain that horror. When the Southern homeland was invaded, they did not stand shoulder-to-shoulder with their fellow Virginians. So, WV cannot to be considered Southern.

WV chose to split with Virginia because they have their own cultural, economic, and political identity that is more aligned with Appalachia, the mountains, and the North.
I'm afraid your history is not correct. I will not address the North/South question. West Virginia was created by a junta during a war, it had nothing to do with the people of West Virginia or their wishes. Slavery was very important to the economy of West Virginia, Wilma Dunaway had written extensively on this in her 3 books, Slavery in the American Mountain South, The African-American Family in Slavery and Emancipation, and First American Frontier. I am currently putting together an article on slavery in West Virginia which is half finished. If you want to know more about WV and the Civil War here is my website.

Home (West Virginia - The Other History)

Old 12-26-2009, 04:47 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Bobilee:

I hope you detail the segregation policies of freed blacks and others of color (Native Indians, Mulattos)

In our area of Wv, the few freed black and mulatto farming families were congregated near Philippi.

I am not familar if this was Virginia Law at that time or not...(1830's) or a cultural event complacent with the area.

Mayles, Cannadays and a few others...

Daltons were and still reside on the Kingwood Pike toward Kingwood.

I am very much wanting to know the social intent of this segregation policy if it existed and the church's influence on slavery, particulary the Catholic stand.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:36 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Bobilee:

I hope you detail the segregation policies of freed blacks and others of color (Native Indians, Mulattos)

In our area of Wv, the few freed black and mulatto farming families were congregated near Philippi.

I am not familar if this was Virginia Law at that time or not...(1830's) or a cultural event complacent with the area.

Mayles, Cannadays and a few others...

Daltons were and still reside on the Kingwood Pike toward Kingwood.

I am very much wanting to know the social intent of this segregation policy if it existed and the church's influence on slavery, particulary the Catholic stand.
Hi David, I'm going to post the essay as a new subject on Wikipedia, about a month from now, covering the spread of slavery to the Ohio River and Wheeling's role in the trade as well as the use of slaves in industry as well as farming. According to Prof. Dunaway the major use of slaves was in agriculture, then industry. It will go through the war and to Reconstruction and stop there. Anyway, I've found some very good illustrations for the
article and hope to have it up soon. It does cover the split in the Methodist and Baptists churches over slavery. I will look into the Catholic aspect, though I haven't seen much on that.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:26 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Not to digress from the Professor, but the highly skilled jobs of the 17th and 18th century were held by slaves who were usually 'Freed after doing that work to the best of their ability and the Masters wishes and profitably.

I cite the iron production and stamping mills of those time periods. And the best of those individuals were contracted out to others to teach their skill and they certainly reaped the monetary rewards of their industry.
The early germans of the 1600's had brought the knowledge iron making to the Philadelphia area but it was the need for the manufactured material in huge amounts that paced the westward expansion.

A few years ago, I studied the affects of iron manufacture as far as Cinncinatti...

Nails (which were used as currency in Morgantown at one time), cannonballs, cast iron skillets and utensils and stoves of any size and shape as well as the water boilers needed for the steamboats and locomotives which fueled the expansion of this country west ward...

As important as the computer of today...and the blacks of that time period were heavily involved in this work...they did the work...

Morgantown (Sabraton) until about 1850 was a huge hub of this industry.

Slavery in everyday farming never got a very strong hold on our part of Wv. (tax records)

Can't wait for your report, know it will be exact and very informative...

Old 12-27-2009, 01:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I read all five pages and not one person addressed the OP's main concern.

Read between the lines of the OP's post.

When she asked if WV was part of the South, she wanted to know if West Virginians were friendly people. She equates the South with friendliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia