Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,214,340 times

Advertisements

This article appeared in the Sunday Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, but it appears to be from the McClatchy news syndicate, so it might be in papers country-wide.

Link

Some nice pictures... click on the pictures on the left to bring up larger versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,351,889 times
Dolly Sods is soooo awesome. Thanks for sharing the article.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,214,340 times
I had missed it... one of my students from last semester clipped it for me (I have them do a little Internet search project about Blackwater-Dolly Sods-Cass-Watoga).

Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 PM

413 posts, read 934,360 times
Dolly Sods is a national treasure. I've been everywhere (man), and I think it's probably one of my most favorite places in the country. But I'm probably a little biased. I did get engaged there! I wonder if we could get married there too... *wheels turning*

Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM

566 posts, read 1,573,537 times
I believe the author misspelled "Bear" Rocks. As I remember, it's named after a person, instead of the animal. That person having the last name Bahre. If I recall, that's how it appears on the signs and maps. On my last visit to the area during fall foilage season, temperatures in the valley were in the low 50s with light drizzle. When we got out of the car at Bahre Rocks, we stepped into a full-on blizzard. The wind chill was so fierce, a fully charged camcorder battery was drained in one minute. Dressed for the 50 degree weather, we hurried to the car after a few quick pictures. (much like the Griswalds visiting the Grand Canyon)

We ran into the same weather change at the top of Spruce Knob. As we stepped out of the car, the high winds blew us skating across the parking lot, fighting just to stand up. I truly enjoyed those experiences.

I'm amazed at the number of people that visit Blackwater Falls and Seneca Rocks without realizing how close they are to Spruce Knob, Dolly Sods, and Bahre Rocks. I never go to that area without visiting them all.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 01-08-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: paragraphs

Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,351,889 times
The Feds have it spelled Bear Rocks on the Sods website but who knows the history - could have been originally named after a person named Bahre. Welcome to the Monongahela National Forest in Elkins, WV.

For instance:
Quote:
... the open areas were used for grazing by the Dahle (hence “Dolly”) family and others
Welcome to the Monongahela National Forest in Elkins, WV.

The Sods is really great, isn't it?

In case you ever want to see the other side of the Sods without hiking across the entire thing:
If you ever rent a cabin in Old Timberline (which borders the Sods), there is a place where you can access the Sods
and there is also a place to access the Sods from Timberline Ski Resort

We usually hit that side of the Sods, a good hike will get you to the waterfall. Easier and quicker hikes get to the creek, or rock formations, or etc - there is a variety of terrain, vegetation, etc.. One of my fav is to hit one spot in July - there are hundreds and hundreds of, oh gosh, I think it;s called Mountain Laurel, and they are in full bloom. It is gorgeous and smells fantastic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia