Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 04:58 AM

2 posts, read 12,782 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving from Hampshire County to Tyler County for employment. I have been searching for homes to rent and I can't find anything online. The real estate agents there only sell. I need some information on how it is there also.

Whats the crime rate? Are the schools good? Is there shopping and hospitals close by? Whats the newspaper called? (so I can look at classifieds)

Thanks in advance for any useful info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 05:33 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Tyler Star News

But I don't know if they have online ads.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 10,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmommyof2 View Post
We are thinking about moving from Hampshire County to Tyler County for employment. I have been searching for homes to rent and I can't find anything online. The real estate agents there only sell. I need some information on how it is there also.

Whats the crime rate? Are the schools good? Is there shopping and hospitals close by? Whats the newspaper called? (so I can look at classifieds)

There is a new school in Tyler Co. My high school age grandaughter loved it. There is very little crime in tyler co. nothing there to steal. I hope you have a job before you move there.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times
Tyler County Schools are wonderful! The crime rate is very low. Rentals though, are hard to find....if you don't know someone. Try to get a copy of the greentab. I think they are online. What part of the county are you looking at? I lived outside Middlebourne for several years and I loved it.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 12,782 times
we are looking around friendly and sistersville. i have been searching non-stop and have not found one rental!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,777 times
Default Have you found anything?

Quote:
we are looking around friendly and sistersville. i have been searching non-stop and have not found one rental!
Just wondering if you ever found anything, I know this is an old post, but am willing to look for you.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 AM

348 posts, read 1,051,158 times
Tyler County!!! (my ancestor's county) The 2000 census states that there were 9,592 people, including lot of my relatives. It is a county-wide high school (modern building), where the two-time Governor Cecil Underwood graduated. Most of non-agriculture jobs are found on the bank of Ohio River (Sistersville and Friendly). Extremely low crime!

The 1890's saw a temporary boom in oil and gas wells

Finding a rent is no idea at this time?? Try to look at bulletin boards at local stores

Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,754 times
Default Tyler County

The city utlities in Sistersville are rather high (water, sewage) You may want to look in the nearby town called Paden City, they charge a flat rate for water and not by the gallon like Sistersville does. I don't think you can get the green tab online but the Tyler Star News and Wetzel Cronical are online papers. New Martinsville has more shopping and is only 10 minutes from Sistersville. And as for "there is nothing to steal in Sistersville" we like it that way, a quiet town on the river.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,734 times
Hi,
Can you tell me some info on Paden City? Photos would be great. Thanks

Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,612 times
Quote:

New Martinsville has more to choose from when it comes to renting...right now Abbey View apartments have a few available.There are a few town houses down by Magnolia High school's football/baseball field,not sure about availability.And there are also apartments on the other side of the field decent in size, but not great.I also know of a place right in front on choochoo's that is for rent.Other than the places i've listed you'd have too look in the green tab...there is always new listings.This part of the valley is a decent place...Paden city kind of seems like an old folks town...or at least it's turning into one.Semi low crime...Drug rate is rising...But law enforcement is definitely cracking down.The school is ****ty in Paden city,and more than likey wont be open much longer.New MArtinsville has a good school,and it's closer to all the "shopping".Tyler Co. has a GREAT school.It's newer,and it's been kept nice since it's been built.I don't suggest moving to the area without prior employment,there isn't much around here besides the plants.Good luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia