U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,102,116 times

Advertisements

HI,

Ok, as everyone may (or may not know) we are really interested in buying down in WV (close to Front Royal, VA) my fiance is from VA and so ... we are on the lookout. We found a property that we are REALLY interested in but I don't know the area at all and I've emailed the agent. In the meantime, can anyone tell me about Kearneysville?? What's the area / people / business situation like?

Thanks!

Andrea
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM

16,818 posts, read 19,584,199 times
I used to live in Kearneysville, off of Leetown Rd. It's not a town, but a place. It's between Charles Town and Martinsburg and Shepherdstown.

Tell me where you are looking, and I can tell you more about it.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:01 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,102,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I used to live in Kearneysville, off of Leetown Rd. It's not a town, but a place. It's between Charles Town and Martinsburg and Shepherdstown.

Tell me where you are looking, and I can tell you more about it.
Thanks! I sent you a private message!!

Andrea

Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 PM

239 posts, read 778,746 times
Kearneysville is a very nice area (portions of Berkeley County are also considered Kearneysville). It is very convenient to both Martinsburg and Charles Town. There are a lot of government facilities near Kearneysville: IRS, VA Center, ATF, and the USCG Operations Systems Center. Even with a lot of high paying jobs in the immediate area, Kearneysville is mainly a bedroom community. I recommend checking out the subdivision 'Villages of Washington Trail' it is Berkeley County, but goes by Kearneysville. It is immediately off Rt. 9/Shockey Memorial Blvd, near the Jefferson Co. line. There are a lot of good deals in there with foreclosures. I have seen a couple homes that sold over 400k in 2005 are going for around 195-225k now.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 43,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
I recommend checking out the subdivision 'Villages of Washington Trail' it is Berkeley County, but goes by Kearneysville. It is immediately off Rt. 9/Shockey Memorial Blvd, near the Jefferson Co. line. There are a lot of good deals in there with foreclosures. I have seen a couple homes that sold over 400k in 2005 are going for around 195-225k now.
I recently purchased a newly constructed home is this community. There are a lot of foreclosures and some pretty good deals. The neighborhood is very quiet, I almost never see anyone outside (although it is cold out). Just make sure you don't buy a home from Drees. As far as the area, it's not bad. I commute to Hagerstown and have no problems with traffic. I haven't found too many good places to eat at in the area (atleast not big chains), and usually go to Hagerstown or Frederick for an evening out. I'd love to find some good local places, but just haven't been able to yet. Shopping is decent, there are plenty of grocery stores and other decent retail shopping centers, but what you don't find in Martinsburg or Ranson is probably available in Frederick or Hagerstown.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,975,492 times
Two items on Kearneysville. I would not suggest on Rt9.
Big item: Make sure any home you look at is NOT in a floodplane.
Three Run lived in the area off Leetown per his message so he can give full details.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM

92 posts, read 312,264 times
My post office is Kearneysville although I'm closer to Summit Point...I don't know what
you're looking for, but there are two homes in my development for sale...3-acre lots that
allow horses....there is a back way out towards Winchester which saves a lot of time
rather than going through Inwood to get to I-81...we are also a straight shot up Leetown
Road all the way to Shepherd University; my wife graduated from there in 2007.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:07 PM

16,586 posts, read 8,146,078 times
Hi Andrea,
Our home is physically situated in Berkeley County, more than 5 miles from the Jefferson County line but yet we were given a Kearneysville mailing address. We can walk to the VA [hospital]Center and 7-11. There are at least two homes that I know of that are up for sale. One looks pretty nice but it is unfortunately situated next to a home which was labeled abandoned and an eyesore, to boot.
There is a homeowner's association that collects $50.00 annually for a so-called "sign and snow fund". There's trash removal once a week but if we want to recycle, we have to take our items to the facility. There's been talk of doing the recycling but that's all it is right now.
There's the MARC commuter rail line that runs from Martinsburg,WV down to Washington, DC. It's called the Brunswick Line. Some employers sign up to help employees with the cost of commuting.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 AM

380 posts, read 1,098,292 times
The Kearneysville postal area is very large and has quite a diversity of property types; be sure of animal restrictions before purchasing, many subdivisions allow horses but have restrictions on number, types of barns and fencing. Most restrict against other animals like goats, chickens, etc. (Judging from your screen name you have and/or ride horses. Several of my neighbors have some beautiful horses one has a few percherons & I think a Belgian. He also recently set up a boarding facility.)
I've lived in Jefferson County for about 37 years now and can provide some info on what the area is like. Look at the other recent 'Kearneysville' post on the board. Also if you need specific locational opinions send me a message. I can help with some information, (but since I'm a Real Estate Appraiser I can't give value specific information unless I charge and provide minimum reporting requirements.) If you would consider the north-middle section of the county let me know. I have my property for sale as well (8ac total, no restrictions/animal friendly.) I'm planning a move a little further to the west just to get a larger property a little cheaper; it's not that I don't like the area.

Squint

Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,776 times
Default Village of washington trail ?

I am looking at the Village of Washington Trail community and was wondering about Drees homes. Please share anything you can about the builder. Was looking at some Dan Ryan homes and was turned off by the sloppy finishing work and material. I'm looking in WV and will drive into work to Herndon, VA few times per week. Any feedback about Drees builder or Village of Washington Trail would be great. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcchick06 View Post
I recently purchased a newly constructed home is this community. There are a lot of foreclosures and some pretty good deals. The neighborhood is very quiet, I almost never see anyone outside (although it is cold out). Just make sure you don't buy a home from Drees. As far as the area, it's not bad. I commute to Hagerstown and have no problems with traffic. I haven't found too many good places to eat at in the area (atleast not big chains), and usually go to Hagerstown or Frederick for an evening out. I'd love to find some good local places, but just haven't been able to yet. Shopping is decent, there are plenty of grocery stores and other decent retail shopping centers, but what you don't find in Martinsburg or Ranson is probably available in Frederick or Hagerstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia