U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,092 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving there from Buffalo, NY.

What should I expect if I do intend to move??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM

2,429 posts, read 6,972,242 times
It's a much smaller area (population wise) than the Buffalo area... less snow, no lake effect... a lot more hilly/mountainous.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,120,374 times
I like Beckley a lot. Not a large town but largest in that area. I live in Charleston and the only reason I would not move to Beckley is cuz it is at a higher altitude and gets more snow (I HATE snow). BTW, there is a little ski resort outside of Beckley called Winterplace. It's 2-3 hours from a nice ski area called Snowshoe.
Here's some info on Beckley
City Of Beckley, WV
Raleigh County West Virginia Travel and Tourism - Southern West Virginia CVB

Beckley is 1 hour from Charleston, the WV State Capitol. Lots more shopping, etc. here. I know of a LOT of people who live in Beckley and work in Charleston.

Next to Beckley/Raleigh County is Fayette County - pretty with a lot of outdoor activities. People come from all over the world to do white-water rafting in Fayette Co. (the New River and the Gauley River). People also come from all over the world for Bridge Day. There is also a great state park called Hawks Nest.
New River Gorge, West Virginia Events - New River CVB
West Virginia White Water Rafting
Bridge Day: New River Gorge Bridge Day Fesitval in Fayetteville, West Virginia (WV)
Hawks Nest State Park, West Virginia State Park

Crime - I wouldn't be worried, however, like anywhere in the world - use good judgement. Here's a link to crime info but looks only up to 2005 http://www.disastercenter.com/westvirg/crime/index.html
Also see the city-data info

The people in WV are wonderful - I just love them.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM

967 posts, read 2,890,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msw222 View Post
I'm thinking of moving there from Buffalo, NY.

What should I expect if I do intend to move??
I'm an ex-NY'er (Oneonta / Middletown) living near Beckley. The winters will be much less harsh, and the summers about the same- if not a bit longer & warmer. The look of the land is a bit more hilly than Buffalo, even more so than the Catskill area. You're obviously no stranger to winter driving, so no issues there. The people are very friendly and open - if you are. Things tend to happen a bit more leisurely, and we like it that way.

Beckley has everything you'd need in a city - Hospitals, restaurants, shopping / mall, and of course Tractor Supply

Ditch the high property taxes and political bufoonery and come live "the life" in WV!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM

79 posts, read 248,511 times
Default Nice place to live

I was born in Beckley and raised in Buffalo, NY. My family (generations) lived in Fayette County and migrated to Buffalo in the 50's & 60's to work at Bethlehem Steel in Lackawanna. My Mom (she was born & raised in WV) and I try to visit Beckley yearly, although we haven't been in about 2 years since we moved to the Atlanta area. I love West Virginia and would consider relocating to the Beckley area, and I'm a die hard New Yorker .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia