Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 AM

109 posts, read 439,848 times

Advertisements

Where would be a good place to live in wv and raise my two kids. A place thats not all drug invested like chicago . I was wondering i know i asked this before, but i have seen new towns posted on here i didnt even know of. I want a place where i can go shopping with in like 20 min or so. Im not very picky just grocery's and maybe like a walmart. I dont want to be to far from bluefield because my parents are there. Also rent for housing has to be reasonable. And me and my husband need a job . Thank you

I did like princton when i was there not sure about the job market .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
Consider some of the small towns around Huntington. The job market around here is pretty good for the jobs you mentioned you and your husband had in another thread and you will also have the convenience you are looking for. Huntington is just over 2 hours away from Bluefield so it is still pretty close. The smaller communities in the area include Barboursville, Milton, Ceredo, Kenova and Hurricane just to name a few. Here are the websites for Barboursville, Milton and Hurricane. Hope this helps.
Tim

http://www.barboursville.org/
http://www.thecityofmilton.com/ (broken link)
http://www.hurricanewv.com/

Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 55,334 times
citygirl 707, I have lived in and traveled in all areas of WV for 34 years, Why in God's name would you want to move to WV? It truely is a beautiful state, but we rank at the top for unemployment in the US, there are no jobs, very little opportunity, unless you "know" someone and ranks very highly in poverty and health related issues, check this out for yourself. The people are not friendly anymore and sexual crimes are rampant, you hear of child abuse everyday, no exaggeration. As far as Huntington goes it is a college town (Marshall) and drugs are rampant down there, I would not raise my kids in that town. Honestly unless you are looking for a fast food job or nursing assistant or some other low wage job you had better look elsewhere. Wheeling is going to be your best bet, it is a safe community and you have access to jobs in Pennsylvania (Washington,Pittsburgh) though unless you are a doctor or lawyer it is very hard to survive in this state, no matter where . I was born and raised in Wheeling and the people used to be great here, not anymore. Maybe it's a sign of the times, it is very clickish here, if you are middle class or lower you do not fit in and people treat you like crap, though they are your best friend when you are rich. There is no more middle class here only rich and poor. It breaks my heart to tell you these things because i had a wonderful childhood grownig up here. 90% of college graduates leave here because they can not find employment, I did the same moving to North Carolina but returned after a Hurricane in 2003 destroyed our business, HUGE MISTAKE! We are moving to Florida This summer. Wheeling is a great, Beautiful, mostly safe place to raise your kids only if you can find a decent job!!! But like I said the people have changed. This area supports medical jobs or trades but not much else. Good luck to you. Try ****.com it will ask you questions and pick 20 or so areas that you may like.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:27 PM

Default ummm

I guess i want to move becuse they sell drugs right next door to me . And a 11 boy was killed just walking down the street. I have a young son and am trying my best to protect him and my daughter. As for the sex offenders i think there just on a up rise every where i lived across the street from one. I moved and one moved two blocks from me. I am scared for my kids and will continue to watch them no mater where we move. Did i metion i pay 850.00 a month and live in what is suppose to one of the best neighborhoods in illinois . Not just men sex offenders but women also. Just trying to find a better place where family is number one. I was raised in bluefield for a while as a child , and i still love it there.

I have a friend that moved to florida and bought a house, had a job lost it. She had to sell her house and move back here. So i think every where you go theres problems.

Last edited by citygrl707; 03-11-2007 at 03:44 PM..

Old 03-11-2007, 05:18 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
neatsark07, sorry you have had a bad experience in WV but it isn't as bad of a state as you make it out to be, not in the Huntington area anyway. WV certainly has it's problems and has suffered as a state from poor leaders and too many people being satisfied with the way things are only because "that's the way it's always been." It has been exploited by many large corporations reaping the benefits of the state and leaving the locals with little or nothing to show for it, the worst of these being the coal companies. And if that wasn't bad enough there is too much competition between areas in the state since the cities have to fight for funding from Charleston rather than being able to run things more autonomously with less interference. The state also shoots itself in the foot when it comes to many large projects as it often only gets enough money to complete half of a project and then lets it sit for may years, having to redo everything when they actually get enough funding to complete it. We also rely too much on the surrounding states to take care of our job opportunities and shoping /entertainment which sends that money out of of the state along with a lot of our younger population. WV needs to become more independent in these areas so it can start to reap the benefits of increased revenue and population. The state has started to see some positive things going on though in the last few years. It has posted it's first net population gain in several years, where it usually stayed the same with people leaving and coming in. A lot of the cities are seeing renewed interest and revitalization in the downtown areas and have seen a lot of good projects to help with overall image. Not sure if or when you have ever lived in Huntington, but it is no longer a city in decline as it was before. Huntington has seen a lot of change and revitalization and the drug problem is being reduced as the police are finally taking care of the problem. You would be hard pressed to find a city of Huntington's size that didn't have something of a drug problem going on in some area of the city. Right now the drug related areas are very isolated and getting smaller. The changes seen here just in the last 3 years though give me hope that the city and the state are headed in the right direction toward a brighter future. The people in this area also seem just as friendly as they always have and I've lived in this area my whole life. Perhaps you don't see it from this point of view in Wheeling as it has lost so much population that it is at it's smallest size since the late 1800's. There also hasn't been much downtown redevelopment there lately but it sounds like the leaders there are trying to do so. But give the state and it's people some credit. If you care about the state as much as you say you do, you are not doing it a favor by leaving.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Default i will tell you what

I live in illinois and we have lots of problems also. Rent and housing is so expensive that pple just cant afford it. I work full time and so does my husband and we can barely pay daycare and rent. I figured i could go to wv and take a pay cut and find a nice house in a decent area and raise my kids. We have a huge gang problem here for young boys. Kids cant walk to school anymore with out being beat to death or put into a hospital. A close friend was just trying to get to highschool he was beat really badly. I think overall looking at all the stats on crime that wv is safer. I went to school in bluefield as a kid and even though we came from chicago i never had a problem. When i returned to chicago the gangs took our coats and through us in the snow. I live in a safer neighborhood now, but im worried for my kids.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 PM

7 posts, read 27,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatsark07 View Post
citygirl 707, I have lived in and traveled in all areas of WV for 34 years, Why in God's name would you want to move to WV? It truely is a beautiful state, but we rank at the top for unemployment in the US, there are no jobs, very little opportunity, unless you "know" someone and ranks very highly in poverty and health related issues, check this out for yourself. The people are not friendly anymore and sexual crimes are rampant, you hear of child abuse everyday, no exaggeration. As far as Huntington goes it is a college town (Marshall) and drugs are rampant down there, I would not raise my kids in that town. Honestly unless you are looking for a fast food job or nursing assistant or some other low wage job you had better look elsewhere. Wheeling is going to be your best bet, it is a safe community and you have access to jobs in Pennsylvania (Washington,Pittsburgh) though unless you are a doctor or lawyer it is very hard to survive in this state, no matter where . I was born and raised in Wheeling and the people used to be great here, not anymore. Maybe it's a sign of the times, it is very clickish here, if you are middle class or lower you do not fit in and people treat you like crap, though they are your best friend when you are rich. There is no more middle class here only rich and poor. It breaks my heart to tell you these things because i had a wonderful childhood grownig up here. 90% of college graduates leave here because they can not find employment, I did the same moving to North Carolina but returned after a Hurricane in 2003 destroyed our business, HUGE MISTAKE! We are moving to Florida This summer. Wheeling is a great, Beautiful, mostly safe place to raise your kids only if you can find a decent job!!! But like I said the people have changed. This area supports medical jobs or trades but not much else. Good luck to you. Try ****.com it will ask you questions and pick 20 or so areas that you may like.

Well, this could describe any of 1,000 cities in 49 other states. Having said that, Wheeling is not the domain of prosperity and safety you describe. What once was a prosperous steel town now settles with the rest of the state. It depends on the race track business to drive it's economy. That too is threatened by Pennsylvania business people that are expanding their operations. In fairness to neatsark, the states economy unfortunately, is addiction driven through the lottery and off track betting. The state litigators, I mean legislators just voted to allow more gambling at the race tracks so they could compete with bordering states. This does nothing for the majority of the state. Most jobs in the state are either state jobs such as the Dept. of Highways or public education and the rest are service sector jobs. Your best bet is to wait until you're ready to retire. Talk in the state capitol is the possibility of promoting West Virginia as a great place to retire. The people are just as nice as you'd find anywhere and the state is beautiful with plenty of outdoor activity to enjoy. Beyond that I wish you and your family the best of luck in your search. If you decide to locate here, let me be one of the first to welcome you.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,738 times
Hello...I'm new to this site but was reading everything on WV because I too am hopefully planning on moving there. I currently reside in NJ and have a good life. I'm very lucky, husband, two kids, two dogs, nice house in a nice subdivision with great school systems, but the people here are so hateful and unfriendly. It is overcongested, I'm right over the bridge from Philly where they're having just about a murder for every day of the year so far or more. We too also have a bunch of sex offenders who live in even closer proximity to you because there is no free land left so the house are just stacked one right after the other.

Don't get me wrong Jersey is ok, been here all of my life and that is why i am so afraid at times to take the plunge and go somewhere else, but between the hours my husband and I have to work just to pay our 2500.00 mortgage pymt, we don't get to spend alot of time with our children. I hate that i have to have someone else raise them to a certain extent. You live once and i refuse to waste the rest of their childhood wishing i had the guts to find a better way of life.

When i am able work from home because they are sick or something i have to basically sit them in front of the tv all day just to be able to complete the things expected of me so i get to see them but i don't. I hate this feeling. For me I am willing to deal with alot less as far as things in my life to be able to spend more time with my children and my husband as well.

WV to me will allow me cheaper housing, having a beautiful backyard of nature instead of my jerkoff neighbor right in my face everytime i go out there and hopefully a healthier lifestyle. Have you ever looked at the air quality in Jersey? And i keep hearing about the lack of jobs in WV from every site i go to, but my outlook on it is this, it can only go up from where it is. Things to me (an outsider) appear pretty cheap in most places. Since i joined this site yesterday I've met two different people going to WV, and i know we can't be the only ones. People want more in life like what WV stands for then the city life, and some don't, to each his own. With the world the way it is right now and how it is probably going to continue with terrorism, drugs, weather, pollution, etc i would rather be tucked up in the mountains of WV with my family and some land around me then a sittin duck in the city.

Well i hope i haven't offened anyone in any way, just wanted to give my whole "city" mentality on why i am personally considering the move. Good luck to everyone!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:23 AM

Smile hey

I have been on the jobs site for wv and there not paying that bad. I work in accounting i do not have a degree. I have been at my job for over six years and barely make 13 dollars and hour. I have found alot of jobs in the wv area paying 10-12 for what i do. Also the rent , yes i will rent before i could buy a house,is between 4-500 a month for a 2-3 br house. So even though you get paid less you can still maintian your life style. I went on the cost of living calculator and the stats agree. I understand wv is a poor state i think what it really needs is hard working family's to move in and give some money back to the state. I would perfer a night in the country with peace and quiet any day to my unstairs neighbors who stay up all nite long. I live in the windy city and there are jobs , most want you to speak spanish and english , umm i only speak english. So i may be qualified for the job but wont get it. So we have lots of problems in the state of illinois also. thanks

Oh and even if i could afford a house here its either over 300,000.00 or in the ghetto i dont want either.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 AM

206 posts, read 938,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmag View Post
Hello...I'm new to this site but was reading everything on WV because I too am hopefully planning on moving there. I currently reside in NJ and have a good life. I'm very lucky, husband, two kids, two dogs, nice house in a nice subdivision with great school systems, but the people here are so hateful and unfriendly. It is overcongested, I'm right over the bridge from Philly where they're having just about a murder for every day of the year so far or more. We too also have a bunch of sex offenders who live in even closer proximity to you because there is no free land left so the house are just stacked one right after the other.

Don't get me wrong Jersey is ok, been here all of my life and that is why i am so afraid at times to take the plunge and go somewhere else, but between the hours my husband and I have to work just to pay our 2500.00 mortgage pymt, we don't get to spend alot of time with our children. I hate that i have to have someone else raise them to a certain extent. You live once and i refuse to waste the rest of their childhood wishing i had the guts to find a better way of life.

When i am able work from home because they are sick or something i have to basically sit them in front of the tv all day just to be able to complete the things expected of me so i get to see them but i don't. I hate this feeling. For me I am willing to deal with alot less as far as things in my life to be able to spend more time with my children and my husband as well.

WV to me will allow me cheaper housing, having a beautiful backyard of nature instead of my jerkoff neighbor right in my face everytime i go out there and hopefully a healthier lifestyle. Have you ever looked at the air quality in Jersey? And i keep hearing about the lack of jobs in WV from every site i go to, but my outlook on it is this, it can only go up from where it is. Things to me (an outsider) appear pretty cheap in most places. Since i joined this site yesterday I've met two different people going to WV, and i know we can't be the only ones. People want more in life like what WV stands for then the city life, and some don't, to each his own. With the world the way it is right now and how it is probably going to continue with terrorism, drugs, weather, pollution, etc i would rather be tucked up in the mountains of WV with my family and some land around me then a sittin duck in the city.

Well i hope i haven't offened anyone in any way, just wanted to give my whole "city" mentality on why i am personally considering the move. Good luck to everyone!
Just wanted to say good luck w/ your decision to move and all. Wow, Jersey houses sound just like AZ houses. I'm soooo sick of subdivisions!!! Hopefully we'll be relocating to WV this summer. I can't wait to live w/ some trees
What area of WV are you considering moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia