Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 PM

240 posts, read 827,429 times

Advertisements

Burger King is coming to Potomac Station.

http://planning.berkeleycountycomm.o...kh&dbase=41100

Thats the only active permit I noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
[FONT=Verdana]All the strip bars showed up in the area after they forced them out of "the block" area of Baltimore. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]As usual, the "good ole boy" political machine, which dominates Berkeley County’s governing, reacted with blazing speed. You have to remember that these establishments do pay taxes and feed the coffers of the political machines. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]In so far as the Raleigh St. project, it has been a fantasy since the early '80's. It is no closer to becoming a reality today than it was then - and they wonder why the price tag keeps going up.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]In resent weeks, in the local newspaper, they wrote about the cost of the Inwood "by-pass", another 80's idea to alleviate congestion. They were concerned that the project costs were going up. DAH?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The development of Spring Mills was a known project at least a year ahead of the public announcement that the large super chain was building. The large shopping chain uses a private entity land acquisition group to reduce public outcry to their attempt to acquire land. They don't hide, but they don't publicize it either.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I am hearing the same rumors for the Inwood area. [/FONT]

Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 PM

The 2008 Census Estimates were released recently. Once again Berkeley County is the fastest growing in the state.

Here are the estimates for the state:
http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/tables/CO-EST2008-02-54.xls (broken link)

Berkeley County now joins Kanawha County as the only counties over 100k. The population as of July 1, 2008 was 102,044 in Berk Co..

Also this year Berkeley County is listed as 75th fastest growing county in the United States. Last year I believe it was 70th.
http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/tables/CO-EST2008-08.xls (broken link)

Last edited by RD35; 07-05-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM

308 posts, read 796,311 times
It looks like the BURGER KING is about half way done so maybe by September it could be open.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
There was an article in the Herald Mail today about the Raleigh Street extenstion.

West Virginia: N. Raleigh St. extension estimate rises

According to the article the price for the project is now up to $37.7 million for the 1.2 mile project. That seems like an insane price for a short section. If I remember correctly a couple years ago it was estimated for 22 million, then 28 million, and more recently 32.5 million. How on earth does the price keep going up like this and will this ever be complete. The article also states that they may start phase one (Edwin Miller to Tavern Road) late this year or early next year. I would be surpised if they start this time next year.
Holy crap, I can't believe any plans made it even that far. I hadn't heard about it. Surprised my dad didn't mention it; he still lives in the area and would have kept on top of that sort of news. Of course that stub of a road was there for decades, and then when they put the CVS over there I figured all ideas of a road connector there were long dead. Doesn't the idea go back even further? Someone once told me I think that the plan for a connector there predated I-81, and that I-81 being built was why this extension never was.

I remember the pre-Edwin Miller Blvd days, barely. I was a kid under 10 years old probably; can't remember exactly when it was built. Georgia, I remember a number of those businesses you mentioned from downtown and elsewhere. I lived outside of Shepherdstown, though, off Rt 45. In the late 70s we had to go to at least Martinsburg to get almost anything, including all but the simplest of groceries. (There was Highs right there on 45, and the old market in downtown Shepherdstown, but that didn't compare. Martinsburg was closer than other options, although for heavier shopping Hagerstown and then Frederick were on the menu.)

My mother still lives in Shepherdstown. Quite the transformation to see all that over the years. I saw it gradually because I visited often enough, but to compare it to what it was like even into the early 90s is really striking.

Okay, but that's not Berkeley County. ;-) My dad lives in the Hedgesville area. I drive between them enough and watch the crap that goes on with no zoning, and it's just ridiculous. You can foster plenty of good development and have zoning and not have it be a huge hinderance to existing owners. I don't follow the news enough to know what brings out the people to vote it down, just silly vague anti-regulation stuff or what, but it's hard to watch that choice made for what I can only imagine are misguided reasons. There's still time, perhaps. I live near a fast growing place outside Pittsburgh called Cranberry Township. They had a fair bit of unfiltered growth for a while through the 90s and maybe into the early part of this decade before they got their act in gear with zoning and similar regulation. It doesn't fix the worst things overnight, but it does ensure that future growth will adhere to a plan that makes sense as opposed to just throwing up crap willy-nilly. I happened to go through Exit 12 just the other day. Insanity. The people that vote down zoning still gripe about the traffic, don't they? They must....

Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 AM

307 posts, read 690,080 times
Say yes to ZONING! Nice, a church next to a strip joint.

ZONING,ZONING, ZONING.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 PM

5,997 posts, read 8,979,748 times
I wish kanawha would do a little better when it comes to zoning.

We have it in town, but on the outskirts a lot could be done.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM

308 posts, read 796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
Burger King is coming to Potomac Station.

http://planning.berkeleycountycomm.o...kh&dbase=41100

Thats the only active permit I noticed.
RD-Do you know what is being built in the parking lot at spring mills walmart.It is toward route 11.Rumor is a restaurant of some kind.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,362,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REESEY View Post
RD-Do you know what is being built in the parking lot at spring mills walmart.It is toward route 11.Rumor is a restaurant of some kind.
We've been discussing this on another thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...ls-area-5.html

As of right now, no one knows. I see they have a sign up with vacancies so it is going to be some kind of a little strip or something.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REESEY View Post

The only thing I've heard so far is that Allegheny Optical is going to build on lot B-4. I believe that is next to Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia