U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 23,358 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning on relocating to Southern West Virginia in late 2009. We are looking for an area within 1/2 hr drive of Welch,WV with a acceptable school system. Is Pineville a nice town or should be head to Mercer County? Also what realtors are in the area and we are looking for a large piece of land for a home/hunting. Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM

240 posts, read 686,012 times
You'll be in the coalfields. It's different. I am not going to say anything bad about the Free State of McDowell County because some of the nicest people in the world live there. Ditto for Wyoming Co.

Just curious as to why you picked that area. Are you in the mining industry?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 23,358 times
actually they are building a federal prison in mcdowell county and i plan on transfering as well as my husband. We plan on coming down in the spring to look around, but we don't know where to start.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:40 PM

240 posts, read 686,012 times
Well, that's really off the beaten path. I'd look around the Welch.

There are no major highways linking that area with Mercer County.

If they ever build the King Coal Highway, it will open it up but for now, you're going to be a little isolated so you'd probably want to be near the biggest town for amenities.

The good news is land and houses are cheap either in McDowell or Wyoming Co. If you go to the City Data homepage, you can look up either Welch or Pineville and view that stats and look at some photos people have posted.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 AM

27 posts, read 58,687 times
Pineville seems like a nice enough small mountain town. Sure, it's isolated to a degree. But it's roughly 30 minutes to Beckley, which is a much larger town and would provide you with many more options, as far as shopping, dining and other entertainment.

Wyoming County has some really beautiful areas. I'm particularly partial to much of the area around Oceana, which at one time was rolling farmland. It's gotten more crowded in recent years, however.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find something that agrees with you.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 AM

6 posts, read 12,265 times
This is an old thread but I am curious if you moved to the area. It looks like we are going to be headed to the Welch area for the same reason your family is/has. We are also looking for land as well. Could you guide me in the right direction? Where did you end up deciding to live? Do you have children and if so was the school system important aspect in where you chose to live?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,412 times
8-25-2011 just read your planned move to wyoming/mcdowell county wv. i have a old farm in mcgraws wv near ravencliff wv about 20 acres -paved road city water 3 bottoms cleared and farmable good place for a home site .my phone is 760- 418-5879. i a keeps forrest call if interested thanks ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia