Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,592,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugyboy420 View Post
Why do most people in rural West Virginia drive pick up trucks and everyone pretty much has a shotgun?
None of your business. And it is also none of your business that many of them have rocking chairs on their porches. Why not ask why something illegal is taking place - and name it. Currently, owning a shotgun is a legal right of all Americans. Pickup trucks are the #1 most popular vehicle in the whole country. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 PM

73 posts, read 173,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
In the recent movie "Gran Torino...Clint Eastwood plays a war hero and retired auto worker from West Virginia..he adjusts to the new 'hmong neighbors who live next door...
I suggest you see it..It will give you the keys of understanding to similar communities here in Wv...

Patience, Respect, a Price in Time and Commonality are the requisites for assimilation.

My favorite scene was the spitting of tobacco juice of he and the old woman...the woman will win everytime...they carry much more hate...
hate to break your heart, but Clint Eastwood's character in Gran Torino is from Michigan, not West Virginia

Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM

108 posts, read 305,687 times
Quote:
Why do most people in rural West Virginia drive pick up trucks and everyone pretty much has a shotgun?
We has trucks to get way fer back upin the holler and haul out our shine. We has our shot guns 'case yawl get there first.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM

404 posts, read 1,186,197 times
Have you guys seen this one?

Hillbilly No More? West Virginia's Image Makeover | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com

The gov wasn't very happy with that article!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,225,663 times
Lots of interesting comments following that article. Here's the one I like the best:

They say that St. Peter has to close the gates of heaven to keep West Virginians from going home on the weekends.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 PM

404 posts, read 1,186,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Lots of interesting comments following that article. Here's the one I like the best:

They say that St. Peter has to close the gates of heaven to keep West Virginians from going home on the weekends.

Bless St Peter. I bet he comes here on the weekends!

I really love my life. There is nothing else like it. It's heaven on earth.

Going back out to check the fire under the maple sap now. Boy, does it smell sweet!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,238,133 times
Thanks Sharedspirit for the article. I think I go along with AliceT's program of disinformation. The Governor should be careful of what he wishes for, he might get it. By the way, I've come up with a motto for my bungee-jumping, snake-handling Church of the Oingy-Boingy. It's "Snakes on a Higher Plane".

Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 15,156 times
omigoodness~that was hilarious! I could never have imagined anything like that if I spent the rest of my life!!! I tried to add to your reputation regarding your post, but I see that it already preceeds you!!! Thank you for the belly-laugh!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 AM

39 posts, read 125,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
None of your business. And it is also none of your business that many of them have rocking chairs on their porches. Why not ask why something illegal is taking place - and name it. Currently, owning a shotgun is a legal right of all Americans. Pickup trucks are the #1 most popular vehicle in the whole country. Deal with it.
Not meant to be an insult so relax..just was wondering because they are so prevalent. I think i may move next to you and do all those things in which you mentioned starting off with swatting a hummingbird..

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,592,906 times
Quote:
Not meant to be an insult so relax..just was wondering because they are so prevalent. I think i may move next to you and do all those things in which you mentioned starting off with swatting a hummingbird..
Go ahead. Make my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia