Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 21,599 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in Beckley too. Whats the cost of living there? Cheap apartments public transportation?

Last edited by jstnautry00; 01-27-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Much depends on what you do and what you regard as being cheap. Same with the cost of living. It all depends on your standards and interests.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 AM

246 posts, read 880,565 times
Same question different day. There are NO decent jobs unless you have a special skill i.e. nurse,doctor,butcher,baker,candlestick maker. If you are some joe shmoe all you will find are minimum wage jobs.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 AM

246 posts, read 880,565 times
Sorry to be so flippant but why the attraction with Beckley? You should see the traffic! I kid you not they line up from one end of town to another. There are a lot of new stores in Beckley but i wouldn't want to live there. They do have a Starbucks there believe it or not. Big Walmart and a big movie place but i find Beckley depressing. next time i'm down there i'll take some pictures of the place and also the traffic.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 AM

167 posts, read 864,742 times
I love reading the WV threads about traffic. I guess it is a relative subject depending on where you currently live. The OP is from Akron, OH. I am sure the "traffic" in Beckley is not "traffic" in Akron. I live in the Atlanta metro, and if you need to get somewhere, you have between 9:45AM to 11:30AM and then 1:30PM til 4:00PM and then 7:15PM on. Any of the other times are a risk for being parked on a highway or interstate.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 AM

930 posts, read 2,161,624 times
I understand what you are saying about traffic, but it is all relative. Atlanta has freeways, Beckly has two lane roads through most areas. My grandmother's house was about a half a mile from the mall, I don't even know if it is still there(the mall), and when the coal miners would get paid, my mom used to sit on the porch and watch the traffic(weird, I know) but it was completely at a stand still to get to the area the mall was in. So, stopped is stopped, no matter how many lanes or cars you may have.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,311 times
what about wv as a whaol for jobs

Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 21,297 times
Default Jobs in Beckley

I guess it depends on how much money you want to make?? There ARE jobs here...people ARE hiring, it's just that they are not high dollar get rich quick jobs and no one really wants to work them. I was in one particular store the other day at the service desk returning something and the woman working behind the desk asked every woman there if they wanted extra hours and every single one of them said "NO" I bet she asked 10 of them!! And today I was out and about and seen probably 8 different "Help Wanted" signs. A lot of the fast food places and stores are hiring right now. A couple of the hotels are needing front desk ppl or housekeeping staff. The VA Hosp. is always hiring for something but it is hard to get into there unless you know someone or have a lot of experience. We have one new Walgreens that is supposed to be opening soon but I heard that they were having trouble finding a pharmacist?? Anyway, jobs are here just may not be your dream job :-) I sure hope things improve SOON!!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,682 times
I,m considering a job in Beckley.I,m from L.A.Anything,s better than L.A. traffic.At least u guys have trees.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
I understand what you are saying about traffic, but it is all relative. Atlanta has freeways, Berkly has two lane roads through most areas.
Actually, I live 25 miles outside of Atlanta in one of the burbs now. Until a few years ago (and before an extra 2 million people moved into the metro area), this was considered a sleepy suburb and many of the roads around here are 2 lane, being miles in-between two of the Interstates. TRAFFIC! Yep - two lanes backed up for miles at times. It's not a free pass around here - it's not all paved 12 lane highways here. There are many suburban areas around the metro area with two lane roads being shared by hundreds of thousands of people!

My sister complains that the corridor G shopping area in Charleston is as she says, "the worst traffic in the entire country". .

Back to Beckley though - my Brother lives/works in the area and is in management of a large store there. He confirms that unless you open your own business, have a specific trade, or work your way up to a management level as he did, that good paying jobs (by many people's definitions) are "very hard to come by", although he enjoys living in the Beckley area himself overall. So in terms of quality of life he likes it (since he has a nice job), but if you don't land that nice job, your mileage might vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia