Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post
I just read another post where someone stated that WV is full of the poorest americans?? I never had that impression, did you??
I did. I once thought that "the Appalachians" were where the poor people lived. That was born from reading ads about how real estate was very reasonably priced in the Appalachians. Part of the hippy movement of the early 70's I think - young adults looking for inexpensive land to form their communes.

The television series, The Beverly Hillbillies bred several misconceptions about poverty in mountainous regions. Although the original location was not immediately clear, the title song clearly put the origin in "the mountains." "Let me tell you about a man named Jed, a poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed..."

I think most people eventually have come to learn that having an outhouse and no power lines entering the house is no longer considered a sign of poverty as much as the new era yuppy thinking it is cool to be off-grid and self-sufficient.

However, why even waste time thinking about what someone says in a post here? If it is inaccurate, it is inaccurate. Don't waste your time wondering if it's true or if other people think that way, too. Personally, I would just as soon those other folks kept thinking that and left us alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I think a lot of this poverty and hillbilly trash stuff all starts from stereotyping. Sure, our numbers might be lower than other states, but we're still human. (Try to explain that to a New Yorker!) -mmccul
Yes, I need it explained to me how you can answer an ignorant stereotype with another ignorant stereotype in the belief you've provided clarity about either.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Being characterized as "low income" does not translate into living in poverty. Cost of living counts just as much in the equation as does income, and areas with lower cost of living conditions might well have a higher standard of living than many areas with technically higher income levels.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
If you drive around the state, you will see a lot of houses where you would think the people are really poor -- but you would be shocked to discover they are making $50-$60 K a year. These folks aren't poor - they just have a different standard of living, value other things besides a fancy house, etc.

We are so conditioned in the US - your house represents how much money you make.
Oh well, if one good thing comes out of this whole "housing crisis" in the US - it may be that people will quit thinking the better the house the bigger the income.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 AM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Actually many areas of rural West Virginia are FAR better off compared with some rural areas of eastern Kentucky. The economic development indicators back up that point.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Yes, I need it explained to me how you can answer an ignorant stereotype with another ignorant stereotype in the belief you've provided clarity about either.
Yeah, you're right, I'm sorry about that. Sometimes I speak (type) before I think, but who doesn't? Again, I apologize. -mmccul

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
If you drive around the state, you will see a lot of houses where you would think the people are really poor -- but you would be shocked to discover they are making $50-$60 K a year. These folks aren't poor - they just have a different standard of living, value other things besides a fancy house, etc.

We are so conditioned in the US - your house represents how much money you make.
Oh well, if one good thing comes out of this whole "housing crisis" in the US - it may be that people will quit thinking the better the house the bigger the income.
That's true. In some areas folks make good money but you could never tell it from the houses. Many of them prefer toys like SUVs and high priced hunting equipment. It's all a matter of preference.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM

396 posts, read 923,810 times
well, we do have a lot of poverty, a lot of very bad poverty. it's true. drive 10-15 miles from Charleston, turn to backroads and you can see the same pictures they filmed in Deliverance.
The contrast between Charleston and small villages are so dramatic that I even feel guilty for doing well.
I see people who literally have no money for food very often.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 PM

5 posts, read 10,851 times
Default the real truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post
I just read another post where someone stated that WV is full of the poorest americans?? I never had that impression, did you??
ok so you didn't get that impression, hmm that's just really funny to me, i am from West Virginia so i know different why don't you go look at some of the homes in Wayne County, Lincoln county, Kenova, Huntington, West Moreland, West Hamlin and i don't mean the good parts of those places take a long hard look at those places, the people there, the condition of the animals, the schools and then open your mouth but until then keep it shut

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,851 times
are you really that stupid, i hate to tell you this but the poor people here in West Virginia don't have out houses to be self suficient, they do it when they are just too poor to afford a new septic or too poor to have running water, they don't do it by choice unless it is out at some of the grave yards or at a camping spot, so maybe you should try doing some traveling and check out some of the poor people in West Virginia, before you go asuming things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia