Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM

92 posts, read 367,102 times

Advertisements

HI, I have been checking out Real Estate in WV for a probable move this spring. I found a house that I might be interested in, pending inspection of course. It is in a town called Quinwood. I Googled it and it seems that it is very small place and was a mining camp once. If anyone knows anything about Quinwood and the area please let me know. specifically stores, crime, beautiful area ? I am still looking at other locations and have not settled on this for sure but it is a cute home and makes the short list. Thanks Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
I've never heard of Quinwood, but googled and believe it is in Greenbrier County.
Spelled Quinwood not Quinnwood, correct?

Greenbrier County is gorgeous - well, at least all the parts I have seen are beautiful. Biggest town is Lewisburg - it's a nice little town.

Looks like Quinwood is about 30 miles from Lewisburg, about 20 miles from I-64, and Rainelle is the nearest "larger" town (about 14 miles away). Looks like it may be really out in the country. Not so sure about Rainelle - it may not be a bad town but have the impression it is nothing as nice as Lewisburg.

Hope someone else can give you better info.

Home | Greenbrier County, West Virginia
Greenbrier County's official website

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,844 times
Q'wood - we travel thru there all the time going to Summersville. It is on top of a MTN, and from what I can see it looks like a cute community. They do have a Miners Memorial that looks very nice (small but nice) right along the side of the road in what appears to me to be the center of town. We pass a beauty shop and a store/gas staion. I know they have police becase my sister in law got a speeding ticket there! We see the police all the time when we go thru, sitting on the side of the road, tucked up a drive way, just waiting for my SIL. Houses like anywhere else, some nice some not so much. We also pass a couple of churches. Depedning on where you get a house my guess is you would have a VERY nice view of the MTNS.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks, it sounds pretty, I love the mountains, I am not sure about the house though, I called and the agent said someone had placed another offer, and were turned down. They are probably going to conter offer and I don't know if I want to get into a bidding war on a house I haven't even seen yet. I got pictures and a copy of disclosures but no inspection yet, I may just let them have it and keep looking, a lot of nice homes for sale. I think I am going to have to come down sooner than I planned, buying a house over the internet is just too scary for me. Everything I see that I like is already bought, or in the process so far. I don't have alot of money to work with so I am being pretty careful. Thanks Diane

Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,357 times
Default Quinwood

Quinwood is in the western side of Greenbrier County. I live in the eastern side of the county. One of my friends lives in Quinwood in an older house. The houses there are a little older for the most part but very affordable compared to the eastern side of the county. Quinwood is also a speed trap so watch your speed 40 mph. The town is over 3,000 ft. in elevation and gets much much snow in the winter. So I hope you are a snow lover!! JM

Old 02-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I hate snow but being from MI I can deal with it. It just comes with the territory. I love having a spring summer fall so I have to put up with Snow. I use to love it as a kid but the older I get the more I hate it. we passed on the house there but I am not ruling out the area. I love WV and the mountains. I have never felt so at home as the brief times I visited there. I have lived in several area's of MI NY, Ohio, IL and the only thing that comes close to WV is the UP of MI but as much as I love the UP, WV is better. Diane

Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 21,288 times
Default Quinwood

it's such a small place!! and they get LOTS of snow, believe me. the nearest towns are either Rainelle or Summersville unless of course you go further on to Lewisburg or Beckley. I think there is one little general type store there in QW and also used to be a very small Exxon station. the roads are VERY curvy (sp) either way you go to town (Summersville is one way and Rainelle is the other lol) the people are friendly enough...there is a lot of coal trucks that travel through going/coming to Carl, WV to the coal place...

Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 PM

119 posts, read 429,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileykaren View Post
it's such a small place!! and they get LOTS of snow, believe me. the nearest towns are either Rainelle or Summersville unless of course you go further on to Lewisburg or Beckley. I think there is one little general type store there in QW and also used to be a very small Exxon station. the roads are VERY curvy (sp) either way you go to town (Summersville is one way and Rainelle is the other lol) the people are friendly enough...there is a lot of coal trucks that travel through going/coming to Carl, WV to the coal place...
How much snow is lots of snow?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 AM

246 posts, read 880,450 times
I have a place in Fayette county which probably isn't as elevated as Quinwood and i am sick of snow if that tells you anything.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Just guessing, but higher elevations like Quinwood probably get half a dozen or more "significant" snowfalls per season. "Significant" meaning 4-6 inches or more, schools delayed or closed, getting around becomes a chore.

Not as much as Davis (120" in an average year), but more than you'd see in Chas. or Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia