Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm originally from Wheeling and worked in the NYC area for more than 15 years. They thought I had somewhat of a southern accent too. But, you have to understand, to a New Yorker or a Bostonian, someone from Philadelphia has a southern accent. It's all relative. In general, they think Pittsburgers are southern "hicks". Actually if you listen to one and take the accent out of the equation, they actually do use a more pure form of Appalachian speech in Pittsburgh. The yinzers are definitely Appalachian, but they are too dumb to realize it.
ha ha My boy friends family is from Butler County, PA just above Pittsburgh, his grandma moved to Parkersburg in the 90's though. She says yins all the time. I think its really interesting. It's like their version of the southern yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
I've lived amongst the yinzers for over 40 years now. You're right, it's basically the Trans-Allegheny Appalachian accent, with a little less "Southern" and a bit more "Pennsylvania Dutch". Not surprising, really, considering the whole region was settled (mostly) by Scots-Irish fleeing the east coast.

I grew up less than 20 miles from the PA border, but never heard of a "gum band" till I moved to Pittsburgh.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Living here in the Charleston area. I see all kinds of different accents from people all over the Mountain State. In my company alone, we have employees in the 5 border states along with WV, so i get to hear a different version of the Central Appalachian accent every time i talk to somebody from one of our remote locations. It's very interesting how our employees in Cumberland, MD or Johnstown, PA have such a different accent from our employees down in Ashland, KY and Beckley, WV. Sometimes, i just want to put them on the phone with one another to see if they can even understand each other, haha.

As for myself. I really don't have a strong regional accent anymore, .....so i'm told.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,240 times
I live around Parkersburg and can detect a more southern accent in folks from Charleston, only 70 miles south. So what is it about latitudes that changes the twang?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
I live around Parkersburg and can detect a more southern accent in folks from Charleston, only 70 miles south. So what is it about latitudes that changes the twang?
Interesting thought.
There is a MAJOR difference in the twang between Charleston/Kanawha and Boone or Logan counties.

Must stem from the days long before the major highways and areas of people developed their own accents.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Living here in the Charleston area. I see all kinds of different accents from people all over the Mountain State. In my company alone, we have employees in the 5 border states along with WV, so i get to hear a different version of the Central Appalachian accent every time i talk to somebody from one of our remote locations. It's very interesting how our employees in Cumberland, MD or Johnstown, PA have such a different accent from our employees down in Ashland, KY and Beckley, WV. Sometimes, i just want to put them on the phone with one another to see if they can even understand each other, haha.

As for myself. I really don't have a strong regional accent anymore, .....so i'm told.
Silk, ... my ex is from Cedar Grove, and she fought for years to lose her southern Appalachian accent. For some reason she was embarassed by it. Personally, I don't think it matters one way or the other. We are a very mobile society in America. What I have found is that when one moves, he eventually takes on the accent of the place where he/she moved. When I go back to Wheeling they say I sound like a New Yorker (that pisses me off, but what can I say). In CT they now say I "don't have an accent", so I guess that means I talk like them now.

The Pittsburgh yinz is actually much more Appalachian than southern. It is more flexible than y'all. They have a singular, a plural, and a possessive version. It is yinz, yinzes, yinz', and yinzes'.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Silk, ... my ex is from Cedar Grove, and she fought for years to lose her southern Appalachian accent. For some reason she was embarassed by it. Personally, I don't think it matters one way or the other. We are a very mobile society in America. What I have found is that when one moves, he eventually takes on the accent of the place where he/she moved. When I go back to Wheeling they say I sound like a New Yorker (that pisses me off, but what can I say). In CT they now say I "don't have an accent", so I guess that means I talk like them now.

The Pittsburgh yinz is actually much more Appalachian than southern. It is more flexible than y'all. They have a singular, a plural, and a possessive version. It is yinz, yinzes, yinz', and yinzes'.
So I was talking to my friend the other day, and he made the comment that I'm picking up a Polish accent... ha ha I've also been told I've lost some of my native accent by moving to Huntington for college. ha ha I guess I'm just very impressionable with accents.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 17,138 times
The northern panhandle isn't more "southern" than Ohio. That area is basically the same. Even bordering Pennsylvania is in the same region.

As a Clarksburg native, I never really considered Clarksburg a southern city despite being located 45 miles from the Mason Dixon line. But Charleston and Huntington "feel" more southern to me.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude View Post
The northern panhandle isn't more "southern" than Ohio. That area is basically the same. Even bordering Pennsylvania is in the same region.

As a Clarksburg native, I never really considered Clarksburg a southern city despite being located 45 miles from the Mason Dixon line. But Charleston and Huntington "feel" more southern to me.
The NP is definitely not southern. It is Appalachian, but not southern. It is basically Midwest Appalachian as is Eastern Ohio. As you move south in Ohio it becomes more Southern Appalachian just as does West Virginia.

Personally, I would also consider Pittsburgh to be basically Midwestern Appalachian but there is a slight PA Dutch influence as someone mentioned before, and of course Squirrel Hill Yidish, which is vastly different from everything else.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM

My friend told me about her ex bf who used to get made fun of by people in Pittsburgh for being from WV. I found that quite humorous, considering how integrated north central WV and the entire northern panhandle are with Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia