U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM

566 posts, read 1,456,088 times

Advertisements

Bill to ban Barbie sales in W.Va. - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

Who elected this modern day patriot and made him assistant whip?

Surely there are more pressing issues facing the state.

Quote:
... HB 2918 sponsored by Delegate Jeff Eldridge, D-Lincoln, would make it illegal to sell Barbie and similar dolls. ...

... Eldridge, the assistant majority whip, claims Barbie influences girls to place undue importance on physical beauty to the detriment of their intellectual and emotional development. ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,097,122 times
I just saw this on MSN and had to come over here to see if anyone commented on it, and I was not disappointed. I am a 50 something female and I had MANY of these dolls, to include Midge, Skipper, Ken and so on. Not once did I ever think I was going to grow up to look like one of them, it is a doll! I would think that this elected official would have more pressing issues to deal with in the legislature for WV. How about doing something to combat the drug issues that face the young people there or how about the obesity issue facing our young sons and daughters!! Perhaps using this elected official’s logic ALL obese boys should be given a Ken or GI Joe doll and obese girls should be given a Barbie doll! Seems to me a better use of WV tax dollars!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 PM

566 posts, read 1,456,088 times
If I wanted to go after something that's warping the perspectives of our young daughters, I would go after Hannah Montana.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,862,003 times
I had caught a bit of this on the news and thought it was legislation from some whacko in one of the liberal states - did not realize it was one of our own politicians.

Aw, the great Barbie debate. I believe Barbie no longer looks like she did when I was little.
Quote:
1997: Mattel announces plans to give Barbie a more realistic figure and tone down the makeup. The new Barbie will reportedly have a wider waist, slimmer hips and a smaller bustline, and will be phased in gradually. Barbie Doll (Historical Context): Information from Answers.com
This is the Barbie I grew up with - what is he complaining about?
See a picture of the orginal Barbie at File:Barbie 1959 First Editions.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
If the doll originally marketed were human-sized, her measurements would have been 39"-18"-33". http://www.thebestlinks.com/Barbie.html
Which BTW, did you know the original Barbie was created by one of the co-founders of Mattel after a trip to Germany? Barbie was a knockoff of a German doll that was a gold-digging character of a racy comic strip. (Creator said she did not know the history).
Barbie - you have come a long way baby!
And no, I do not now look like this.

Last edited by vec101; 03-04-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 03:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,349,635 times
Not much going on down in Lincoln County?

It's time to elect the homeless as our legislative representatives and give them a good paying job.

Let's begin with Lincoln County...the MoJo Mentality has taken over in every sector of the state.
And Ken was left out of this...has he gone 'GAy?

and isn't Barbie 50 or 60 this year...ready for SSI?

They always want to hurt the old folks...let her take her pension the go to the casket in peace.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:53 AM

1,502 posts, read 6,955,209 times
I heard this also on the news, it is just stupid. They did make the barbie with a fuller figure. There are more important issues to worry about than this. Besides, if they do ban them people will just go to neighboring states or order them online.

what about the baby dolls that are genetic correct, are they going to ban them also because kids might realize that there is a difference between boys and girls.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,231,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Bill to ban Barbie sales in W.Va. - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

Who elected this modern day patriot and made him assistant whip?

Surely there are more pressing issues facing the state.
He's not a patriot. He's an idiot. Such a bill would never pass muster, and even if it did it would be unconstitutional. We do have our fair share of bozos in public office. There's one in Wayne County too from what I can gather.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,349,635 times
Word has it that Delegate Bozo is going to run for Governor and this is the media blitz to get his name out.

Everybody will laugh at this event in 3 years...even joke about it...and it will work..

Arn't most of our Governors jokes btw...let's see...Wally...Arch...ex-cons...MoJo...

I'm waiting to see who's name is on that secret bank account list the FBI is looking into...47,000 americans.

That would make about 8,000 of them from WV...

Do you think any of our home grown politico's would have numbered secret bank accounts?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,487,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I had caught a bit of this on the news and thought it was legislation from some whacko in one of the liberal states - did not realize it was one of our own politicians.
I'm reporting you to you for slander and insults. Wag a finger at yourself or something.

This barbie stuff even liberals would scoff.

Does this guy really think he has a career or is this a tragic publicity stunt? No mention of middle aged women getting ribs surgically removed for the sake of recreating a 20 inch waist? Dolls are more important than what their own mamma's do???

Let me guess... Lincoln county isn't looking him in the eye about now.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,487,638 times
Take heart, my fellow west virginians. Florida is not to be outdone in the frivolous idiocy department, and it's certainly a contest no american cares to win unless america's funniest video's had a bigger pay off.

A McNuggets "Emergency" - March 3, 3009

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia