Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Then come to WV - I'm hearing a lot of business owners here talk about.
Also a lot of talk about it in the news and the stock market is "talking" about it a lot.
I could see the concern in West Virginia. Due to a lack of employment diversification the state relies heavily on the coal industry. Only makes sense to be concerned when your gravy train has a chance of derailing. Hopefully there will be concessions on both sides because as of right now it seems the argument is all or nothing with regard to mining. I mean in reference to environmentalists vs. energy companies.

The stock market started dropping long before Obama came into office and would be in it's current state regardless of who won the election. Not really news there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nice. You sir are surely bringing a positive image to your state.
Quote:
Yeah, I think its wrong to shoot people I disagree with. Maybe to stop them from ramming a school bus or something....but in this case? I'd be curious to hear you defend murder in this situation. I'm all ears.

Jeez, it's a tongue in cheek comment! When was the last time you actually saw any lynch mob with torches and pitchforks running the streets in America?

As I said earlier, part of the reason they want a rate increase is the fact that they just lost their largest customer in the state. Now if you need more proof as to what is happening a thousand miles from you, Google .

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 03-10-2009 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: edited for those with reading comprehension limitations

Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
I could see the concern in West Virginia. Due to a lack of employment diversification the state relies heavily on the coal industry. Only makes sense to be concerned when your gravy train has a chance of derailing. Hopefully there will be concessions on both sides because as of right now it seems the argument is all or nothing with regard to mining. I mean in reference to environmentalists vs. energy companies.

The stock market started dropping long before Obama came into office and would be in it's current state regardless of who won the election. Not really news there...
The coal companies probably are greatly concerned. However, the business people I know talking about it are in no way affilliated with coal companies and are not affected by what happens to them.

Would be in it's current state? The housing crisis was a large part of the problem but you should perhaps do some reading about Obama's statements, how the market has reacted, and the reasons behind it.
Here's some reading to get you started: Obama's First 50 Days: Devastating to Taxpayers: PRNewswire Business News - MSN Money (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/category/topicarticle.aspx?feed=PR&Date=20090310&ID=9684293 &topic=TOPIC_ECONOMIC_INDICATORS&isub=3 - broken link)

Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Aren't they REQUESTING a rate increase and it hasn't even gone through yet? If you feel it is unwarranted and unfair...you absolutely should call your representative and have them vote against this. If you are right, then you save some money, if you are wrong then the place goes bankrupt and your state has to bail them out with your tax money.
It goes through the PSC for approval.

Regardless of how the utility packages the increase, the fact that the commodity price is dropping, and in some cases going to the floor, is a bitter pill for any end user to accept.

I'd speculate the utility, faced with decreasing demand, is also looking to maintain a consistent set of cash flows. Lord knows the CEO doesn't want to take a hit on his 9.7MM gravy train while everyone is tightening their belts.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...so it's cool to murder people with highpowered rifles but not to question other factors. I would respectfully disagree with your ethics and decision that living across an arbitrary line would impact my freedom of speech with regards to such matters. I would be happy to honestly debate such matters with you, feel free to start any time.
Ethics has nothing to do with it. Fact is- you ain't saying anything wortwhile but snarking at others.

So what's there to debate? How to not be an as*shole?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
FutureGen may be back in line - but I doubt it. Chu has said he may consider renewing it. Don't think FutureGen would directly affect WV, our coal, our energy but may be a good thing for us.

Quote:
The Energy Department made a $500 million math error a year ago when it withdrew its support from a “near-zero emissions†coal plant in Illinois, Congressional auditors will say in a report to be released Wednesday.
At the time, FutureGen was the leading effort to capture and sequester carbon dioxide, the main heat-trapping gas linked to global warming. If the project were resumed and proved successful, it could provide a model for curbing the carbon dioxide that coal adds to the atmosphere. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/sc...gy-environment

Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It goes through the PSC for approval.

Regardless of how the utility packages the increase, the fact that the commodity price is dropping, and in some cases going to the floor, is a bitter pill for any end user to accept.

I'd speculate the utility, faced with decreasing demand, is also looking to maintain a consistent set of cash flows. Lord knows the CEO doesn't want to take a hit on his 9.7MM gravy train while everyone is tightening their belts.
I 100% agree with you that the CEO pay for this type of jobs seems REALLY high. Me personally, I would contact my rep about this point.

You are completely right about the commodity prices falling and that is confusing to the end consumer. However, the way the state sets their pricing guides...rates are SET and then adjust for the past things. So, when the rates shot up for many of us around the country (temporarily) they didn't in places with this type of pricing structure.

So, people here seem to be proposing that if commodity prices spike the company should eat the loss and NOT pass it on in the next rate period?

I'd be curious to see the breakout of costs between the commodity, environmental etc. pieces and see what is going on.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Ethics has nothing to do with it. Fact is- you ain't saying anything wortwhile but snarking at others.

So what's there to debate? How to not be an as*shole?
You mean telling people to contact their representative to OPPOSE the increase if they feel that way isn't a constructive comment?

I think it's pretty cool you can call someone an as*hole and not get your post taken off as a personal attack....

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
You mean telling people to contact their representative to OPPOSE the increase if they feel that way isn't a constructive comment?
You can call your representative all you want. The PSC is the governing body, and the complaint process is not as easy as one would imagine.

http://www.cad.state.wv.us/ is the link to the consumer advocate division for the PSC, which is the place to start.

As far as the other, maybe the powers to be felt it wasn't a personal attack...

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I 100% agree with you that the CEO pay for this type of jobs seems REALLY high. Me personally, I would contact my rep about this point.

You are completely right about the commodity prices falling and that is confusing to the end consumer. However, the way the state sets their pricing guides...rates are SET and then adjust for the past things. So, when the rates shot up for many of us around the country (temporarily) they didn't in places with this type of pricing structure.

So, people here seem to be proposing that if commodity prices spike the company should eat the loss and NOT pass it on in the next rate period?

I'd be curious to see the breakout of costs between the commodity, environmental etc. pieces and see what is going on.
The rate increase request contains not only purchased commodity pass throughs, but future CapEx costs.

And no offense, but the only utility where I have EVER seen a rate decrease for a purchased commodity charge is NG. I have never in my entire adult life seen a decrease in purchased electric rates, regardless of the price of the commodity.

So in theory- yes it should bounce around. However reality dictates otherwise.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-11-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia