Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
G21 G21 started this thread

1 posts, read 1,723 times

Advertisements

Need help. Im new here and would like so imput to find a place to live in wv. Im planning a road trip and would some help. Im currently living in new jersey and I hate this state,taxes,gun laws,gov out of control.
Looking for rural but not for a housing devlopement. I need some space between me and my neighbors.

Another question I have is how does WV pay for schools ? If you dont have kids in school do you still have to pay school taxes ? In NJ our school taxes are part of our property taxes ,my son is out of school and I still have to pay for a system Im not using!!

Last edited by G21; 03-19-2009 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,370,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G21 View Post
Need help. Im new here and would like so imput to find a place to live in wv. Im planning a road trip and would some help. Im currently living in new jersey and I hate this state,taxes,gun laws,gov out of control.
Looking for rural but not for a housing devlopement. I need some space between me and my neighbors.

Another question I have is how does WV pay for schools ? If you dont have kids in school do you still have to pay school taxes ? In NJ our school taxes are part of our property taxes ,my son is out of school and I still have to pay for a system Im not using!!
New Jersey....say no more to taxes, they are the worst. I know their property taxes are really, really high. I really don't know how anyone can afford to live there. I do have family there though.

As far as paying for schools, I know the slots pay a lot towards the schools. I lived in Maryland before coming to WV and I know that my kids had to take everything but toilet paper the first week, and we always laughed that was coming. Since being here, WV supplies the kids with a lot.

Also, when we lived in Maryland and looked at buying a lot to build a house we would of had to pay a few thousand of dollars up front for the schools, no matter if you had kids or not. Mind you the lots were on bus routes.

WV property taxes are low and extremely low for you coming from NJ. I think anywhere you decide to reside in WV you will be very happy on that end (of course that could be anywhere other than NJ ) PA does have higher property taxes but there housing is lower, but they don't have sales tax on a lot of stuff. WV just lowered their sales tax on food to 4% and is suppose to go lower. The other sales tax is 6% and so is MD because they just raised it and it is across the board.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM

108 posts, read 305,687 times
I can understand the wanting your own space thing but I don't think you'll ever find nicer or more neighborly folks as here in WV. I've lived in a few other places and my neighbors here can't be beat.

As far as taxes for schools go, yeah they're part of the property taxes. So, as long as you own property it doesn't matter whether you have 10 kids in school or zero. I've never lived anywhere where that wasn't the case. Your property values ARE influenced to some degree by the quality, or lack thereof, of the schools in the area. The fire, and police departments also affect not only your property values but your insurance premiums. So, as much as we all hate to pay them we at least derive SOME value from our local taxes.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,363,081 times
Read the post //www.city-data.com/forum/west-...997-movin.html for some info on rural.

What you mentioned is pretty much throughout the entire state. It just depends on how rural you really want. If you don't want super rural, look to areas outside the cities and larger towns. Sorry can't help more, but if you give more info we can give you more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia