Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 16,930 times

Advertisements

I hope someone could help me with some questions I have about White Sulphur Springs or the Beckley area. My husband and I own an automotive repair business in Decatur Alabama. I am ready to move from here for too many reasons to list. My husband wants to work on cars/race cars and race at a drag stip for fun. We researched the drag strips in the area and there were several, most of them being in Virginia right across the boarder. We also have a 12 year old that plays travel hockey. What are the chances of him being enrolled in a middle school/high school that has a thriving hockey team? I seen that White Sulphur Springs has one or possibly even two rinks. I understand an area is really what you make of it but I've been reading these forums and they say how bad the economy is there. Should I be concerned? I miss the small town living that I lived when I was a kid and I am so ready to return to it. Is there a calling for a automotive repair business in any of the surrounding areas? Thanks for any information given to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,968,022 times
The Automotive industry in WV appears to be lucrative. As for Hockey when I graduated in 2005 I was not aware of any active hockey team in the state. There may be some in the White Sulfer Springs area because I'm not really familiar with that area. The economy isn't the best, but again like you said the area is what you make it. I think you should visit the state, and the areas you're interested in. A summer trip would be great. I think your kids would love it here if they like being outside, swimming. Check out Elkins, and the surrounding areas. There is a racecar track in Elkins. I believe its called Elkins Speedway. Check out Canaan Valley about 40 minutes from Elkins. It is truely beautiful. If you have any questions feel free to ask me

Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,423,924 times
Default Wow...

I was just going to ask bout this town as it is a possible relocation for us, but I need to know how good the schools are, how housing is, if you can build a nice new home for 250,000 and if crime is low...appreciate any help at all!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,212,588 times
Everyone's definition of a "nice new home" is going to differ, of course.

My GF and I are in the planning stages for our retirement home about 30 miles north of Lewisburg. We're looking at 3BR, 2.5BA, 2000-2500sqft, log construction. We're pretty sure that $150-200K will be more than enough, probably less depending on how much of the interior finishing we want to do.

We already have the land, 4+ acres for $20K.

Snorpus

Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 PM

9,732 posts, read 9,680,572 times
There are only two schools in that part of Greenbrier County. The high school has a very good music department and the marching band is nationally recoginzed as one of the best.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:14 PM

919 posts, read 3,173,758 times
I know of a home for sale in Covington, Va....which is 15 mins to WSS. It is a solid built 4 bedroom home for only 179,900...in a very scenic, safe area that is close to the schools and the local hospital. Please DM is your interested and I will pass the info on to my friend.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,507 times
I lived very close to White Sulpher for many years when I was in high school about 12 years ago. While I have moved, my family still lives there. I can tell you that it truly is small town life, and it is beautiful. I am not sure about a hockey team, it isn't a sport that is common there....football, basketball, that is what was in my high school. We also had volleyball, but that was about it. I am sure things have changed since I have been there in school. My suggestion is to give the schools in the are a call and check into their sports programs. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,353 times
Hello! We are a group of six culinary students on an internship program with The Greenbrier. We are looking for a six-month rental property whether house or apartment. Any leads or suggestions for us would be a great help! Thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 16,626 times
Have you ever visited the area? It is quite spread out, it doesn't seem as much so if you are from there but moving from a city setting it is a spraw.

I have never heard of White Sulphur having a hockey team, the Greenbrier has a skating rink in the winter but it is for guests only.
The race tracks over in VA are quite a drive, it is not just next door. Elkins does have the Elkins Speedway its in Montrose area, a quarter mile dirt track, its about 2.5 hours away from WSS on a good driving day.
The cost of living is good in the area, but the wages are set to a rural area. Greenbrier County is just beautiful.

as for the culinary students, there are apartments within walking distance of the Greenbrier but if you want to find a house I would look in the local free paper, The Mountain Messanger, it seems to have more ads for rentals. With the colleges being in Lewisburg there are more apartment monthly rentals available in the Summer there than in White Sulphur.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM

532 posts, read 1,086,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantina View Post
Hello! We are a group of six culinary students on an internship program with The Greenbrier. We are looking for a six-month rental property whether house or apartment. Any leads or suggestions for us would be a great help! Thanks!
You should start a new thread asking about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia