Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM

119 posts, read 429,232 times

Advertisements

After several weeks of applying for state social work positions, I have an interview for one. It also happens to be scheduled for the week we will be in WV. The interview is in Grafton, which is a city I have not looked into. I am very excited about this, as it is a start in the right direction.

It looks like it is nearer to Morgantown than Buckhannon, although the posting was for Taylor, Barbour, and Preston Counties. What info can you give me about the area, and what are nice suburban/rural areas near there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
20 minutes south of Morgantown on 119...a decent road...kept up very well.
New Walmart on the outskirts.

Grafton was a railroad hub during the civil war and then resurected during WW-2.
Has been in decline until about 10 years ago..

Good rural-style city schools...low taxation and well run county.
Everyone moving here is trying to locate or build their new home in Taylor county.

Existing subdivisions were built in the 70's..not bad...some new ones on the outskirts: Twin Oaks being the best of those.

On the edge of the mountain foothills...30 minutes to Thomas, Davis and Caanan. Good local water to boat and fish...Large lake and dam impoundment. Golf courses? so so...but some great ones in the area.
Small but reputable hospital...old area of business district in re-hab mode...
Has an old time city theater ready to be taken over and retored.

Grafton on the upswing...will have good steady growth as long as Wv is a state. Certainly a sleeper for us. Nobody knows it exists...

Small enough to see in a day and not get lost..4 roads...N S E & W....good luck.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM

I changed the interview to Tuesday, so we can spend Monday traveling from Roanoke to Grafton, and finding something fun to do with the kids along the way. We are going to Roanoke VA for Easter; my best friend moved there a few years ago; I only see her once a year. She is undergoing chemo, and will be leaving for PA on Monday for another treatment. I didn't want to miss seeing her.

After that we will be bopping around taking in the scenery. Can anyone recommend a motel in Grafton?

The kids were hoping for an indoor water park, since it will not be warm enough for swimming, but I couldn't find any online. It does look like there will be one open in 2010. So, we will find things to do to keep busy. We are all getting very excited, and looking forward to this. One more day to get all the stuff done before the trip, and the dogs go into the kennel on Friday. This will be our first vacation (and days without pets!) since 2000, when we went to GA to visit the inlaws.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Valley Worlds of Fun in Fairmonts Pleasant Valley is the only place to take the kids..about 15 minutes from Grafton...lots of motels there too!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Is the wave pool in Fairmont back in service? That was always fun back in the day.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 PM

I checked out the wave pool online. It's there, but doesn't open until Memorial Day. Oh well, maybe we will luck into a motel with an indoor pool. If not, I'm sure we'll find plenty to do. My daughter (11 years old), is planning an eating tour of the state, detailing all of the food she wants while we're there! She is a 65 pound bottomless pit, so we will head for all you can eat buffets!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 14,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
30 minutes to Thomas, Davis and Caanan.
Maybe in a helicopter. If you are driving it will take you about an hour and ten to twenty minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia