Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

You asked about National Parks..several State Parks have horseback riding..Lost River, Pipestem and Seneca Rocks...and I don't know their particulars...

What is coming on strong is the Rails to Trails horseback riding. Morgantown has the financial leg up on this and a great ride would be from Morgantown to Fairmonts Prickett's Fort. (the actual recreation of a 1760 colonial fort) with overnight camping. The route is along the Monongahela River and flat...asphalted. Half-way is the lock and dam at Opekisi. Many events, shows and theater occur at Prickett's Fort during the summer and spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Ohio also has lower taxes than WV and lower gas prices, but still has good services.
Real estate taxes are quite a bit higher in Ohio. They don't tax your vehicles every year though, and auto insurance used to be lower in Ohio.

I'll be passing by that farm on Sunday and I'll get the stock number from the Prudential sign.

I'll also browse a copy of our local Bulletin Board and see if anything stands out. The BB covers Wood, Pleasants, Ritchie, Tyler, Wirt, and Jackson counties, among others.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:23 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
A bit late getting back to this...

Our meeting was canceled last Sunday, so today I took a drive out that way today to check our farm. The farm I told you about appears to have been sold, the Prudential sign is gone, as well as the curtains. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Discovered a new Llama farm on the my way out.

Saw quite a few good looking ads in the local trader this week.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Did I read correctly - you are looking for 50 acres w/o a house for under $100K ($225K w house).
(haven't read the entire thread so this may have already been addressed). Couple years ago was looking for 2 - 10 acres close to Chas or in Putnam Co. The land we found was high priced and most of it unusable - usually just one house seat without a flat yard.

It's really hard to tell about the land until you go see it. We had read about some we were really excited about until we went to look at it.

There are some farms, etc. at Charleston Newspaper - West Virginia - Gazette-Mail Homes - Homes for Sale such as 1 in Mason County (35 Acres for $42,500.) Mason county tends to be relatively flat but honestly, that just sounds too good to be true. Mason is about 30 miles from Chas. New interstate going in so commute would be better/safer than current 2 lane busy highway.

Large number of people in WV think nothing of driving 30 min - 1 hour (with no traffic tieups) to/from work each day. For instance, many live in Beckley, Boone Co, Logan, etc. but work in Chas.

There is a good number horse people in the Chas area - showing horses, etc.

There has been a ton of advertising lately for a land auction in Clay County on May 14. They are selling over 900 acres in 14+ acre tracts. Says selling to highest bidder regardless of price. See http://www.gazettemailhomes.com/stat...Page%20H10.pdf (scroll down to big ad at bottom).

Clay county isn't a "hot bed" area - I think many of us would consider the area somewhat depressed. However, depending on where the land is located, I think it would be 30-45 minutes from Charleston, there is a small town there but it's not charming. Don't think jobs are plentiful.

Last edited by vec101; 05-04-2009 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
One thing we can't brag about in West Virginia is insurance costs. Ever since Gaston Caperton was Governor, they passed laws favorable to the insurance industry and West Virginians have been paying a very stiff price. Car insurance in West Virginia is actually more expensive than it is in much more populous and congested states like Connecticut.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
High in all parts of WV? We lived in Buckhannon, moved to Chas and our car insurance skyrocketed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia