Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,247,590 times

Advertisements

When I first saw the documentary "Gray Gardens" I was very disturbed by the callousness of the film-makers in taking advantage of people in a desperate situation, people who were unable to recognize their own vulnerability. This is not some sociological documentary conceived to aid and relieve the disadvantaged and expose the failings of our society in dealing with poverty and self-destruction. I could see this easily turned into a popular XBox game. I think the most important emotional quality which our society has now lost is "empathy". I have a number of CDs of old-timey gospel, which is a lot more progressive than a lot of people think, and most of those songs remind us of our common bond. One of the songs is by West Virginia's Blind Alfred Reed, 'Always Lift Him Up and Never Knock Him Down". Maybe they should have used it for the soundtrack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,550 times
I am from wv and have had the priviledge to meet jesco and mamie,and these folk are some great people with good hearts.sure they like to party and have a good time but who dosen't.the whites just live like every american wish they could live like......wild and free!!!!! Don't judge the white's till you actually get to know them...long live jesco and the white family!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,319,423 times
I'd like to see Jessco working for us in Congress. Move on over Nick-Joe!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,147 times
Might want to hold off on that one DK...apparently he was arrested on drug charges last night in Boone County. Or at least that's what I read in the Charleston Gazette online this morning.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 AM

29 posts, read 63,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
Might want to hold off on that one DK...apparently he was arrested on drug charges last night in Boone County. Or at least that's what I read in the Charleston Gazette online this morning.
Yep, the H-D confirming. Dangit Jesco, I'm tryin to stick up for ya, this isn't helping my cause any

Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 AM

2 posts, read 13,432 times
The white family is out of control and that's what most people love about them. I live in WV and Jesco and company are a pretty celebrated gang. I dont worry much about the sterotype that might come with it, i think most people will understand that this family isn't the norm. Being a huge fan, i only worry about how big it could get. It takes away from the culty charm. ha

And about Knoxville, he may be loaded now, but he really does have pretty humble roots. I don't think that he watched The Dancing Outlaw and saw dollar signs. Knowing where his sense of humor lies, i'm not surprised that he liked it enough to back a third film.

I'm really excited to see it!

--Sara

Oh, P.S. Jesco did get arrested on drug charges. Great video from the local news. http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/43836817.html

Last edited by explosivemonkey; 04-30-2009 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,319,423 times
We need a leader and Jesco would get my vote...

I could see him in the Senate, sitting beside Arlen Specter, voting the Democrat Party Line...

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
Personally, as I see it, while it could be taken as a 'stereotype of WV', it may actually be more of a hit at them as a family, rather than us as a state. Yes, the sad truth is that there are families like this... but they are NOT just located in WV. As mattbward said, there are some in OH, but let us not forget other places in the country, KY,AL, MS, etc... There are probably some in every state you can name.

This story is meant, as previously stated, to show an "anti-hero", but by no means a role model.

Besides, johnny knoxville was probably trying to exploit the family in some way... so in essence, i feel bad for THEM.
I agree totally, good point Nikongirl!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM

246 posts, read 880,866 times
The paper said he got on disabilty at age 17? What an %$#^ing bum! I am sick and tired of leeches on welfare!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
I thought the trailer was funny as heck. However, it does reinforce some stereotypes about WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia