Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:30 PM

13 posts, read 73,692 times

Advertisements

My mother recently told me about a missionary-type trip she made to the Appalachian mountains in Kentucky/West Virginia with her church group more than 40 years ago. She mentioned how destitute these tiny towns were and the very poor quality of life the people there had.

I know times have changed but from what I've read these areas still exist to some extent. I was talking this over with my Sunday school class and everyone agreed that we would love to do something to help, so next weekend we're organizing a canned food and clothing drive. I think we're going to have a great turnout and we were hoping to find one or two of these villages to take out donations too. I asked my mom, but she doesn't remember at all what the places were, aside from "way up in the mountains", so I thought I'd register here and post.

Can anyone lend me a hand or direct me to where I can find more information?

Thanks so much,

Sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Try the United Way of Southern WV. The Loaves and Fishes ministries usually have a good network of making sure food is distributed to pantries in need.

Welcome to the United Way of Southern WV! (http://www.unitedwayswv.org/funded_agencies.php - broken link)

My old Scout Troop always went through the local CCS chapter in Jefferson county and also frequently helped to organize and rotate the stock in the pantries.

God bless you.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:21 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
The food pantries do a very good job and I'll bet the denomination of your church has a connection to a food pantry in Wv. We help out with ours one Wednesday a month and it is a saver to a lot of folks in need...The Presbertarians have a mission progran into Wv in the summer for their youth...see them painting and sprucing up the homes of the elderly...know nothing about getting into the network though...

Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times
There are pockets of people needing help everywhere - remember seeing on the news a while back that the cupboards were bare at a food pantry in Putnam County (this county has a pretty high average income).

However, sounds like you want to help those in more remote and mountainous areas with less resources nearby (jobs, etc). I'd look to the southern part of the state - counties of McDowell, Wyoming, Logan, Mingo, maybe even Mercer, Summers, or Monroe.

For towns in those counties, goto Hatfield-McCoy Mountains (http://www.wv.gov/local/region/Pages/hatfield-mccoy-mountains.aspx - broken link) and New River/Greenbrier Valley (http://www.wv.gov/local/region/Pages/new-river-greenbrier-valley.aspx - broken link) or Official Website for the State of West Virginia and click on the map on the left.

I'd contact a local church or something for a reference to a local food pantry.

The town of Matewan (Mingo County) is one that you may want to check out. I'm sure there are many people in the hollers outside Matewan which can use your help. Also, Matewan has historical significance which you may find very interesting - the Matewan Massacre/ Battle between the coal company and mine workers struggling to join a union as well as the Hatfield-McCoy feud.
http://www.matewan.com/History/legacy.htm or http://www.matewan.com/index.htm and http://visitmatewan.com/

There was a real good movie made about the union struggle. I'd suggest watching it but it's probably hard to find now. (Do see that Netflix has it available). http://www.matewan.com/History/movie.htm It did a wonderful job of showing how life was for the coal miners.

Last edited by vec101; 07-19-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM

13 posts, read 73,692 times
Thank you all very much for the help. Right now, we're planning to visit and take donations to Matewan and Jolo. If anyone else has suggestions/ideas, I'm very open to them.

Again, many thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 AM

246 posts, read 880,735 times
If anybody is starving around here you wouldn't know it. We have plenty of blubbers waddling about and they all seem to money for cigarettes ,booze and cell phones.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
If anybody is starving around here you wouldn't know it. We have plenty of blubbers waddling about and they all seem to money for cigarettes ,booze and cell phones.
That has a LOT of truth to it. But there are a lot of kids and families who don't have enough food. Many are working poor.

Maybe they need things for the kids such as clothes, shoes, coats, books, etc. NOT toys - there are a lot of organizations at Christmas that does that.

Last edited by vec101; 07-23-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 AM

There was a boy at my son's elementary school who was very poor (not in a remote rural area either). Every day, even in winter and no matter how cold it was, he wore a short sleeve hand-me-down scout shirt to school (he wasn't in Scouts). His teacher bought him a sweatshirt to wear to school. He never wore it. When she asked why, he said his mom liked the sweatshirt so she kept it and wore it. So glad the teacher shared this with some of us.

A group of us gathered up clothes our kids had outgrown and bought a couple new things. The teacher kept them at school. Each morning when the boy got to school, he would change into the clothes we had for him then change back to his scout shirt before going home. The teacher would take them home and wash them.

What is wrong with some parents? I just cannot understand it.

The really sad thing is - so many kids who have had people help them out then grow up to expect others to take care of them. Those generations after generations who live in poverty and do nothing to help themselves think nothing is wrong with it.

What we really need to do is figure out how to break the cycle.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
It can start with education...has always been the peaceful case...revolution is the other...Russian revolution, and their convicts took over the country...history has written their sad story too.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:28 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
What is wrong with some parents? I just cannot understand it.

The really sad thing is - so many kids who have had people help them out then grow up to expect others to take care of them. Those generations after generations who live in poverty and do nothing to help themselves think nothing is wrong with it.

What we really need to do is figure out how to break the cycle.
Sounds like these 'parents' weren't qualified to be parents. Very sad indeed! Curious what the standards for child welfare are in state/county dept social services because this does sound like a case of blatant neglect. Even the poorest people have access to goodwill stores where a child's wardrobe could run $40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia