Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM

130 posts, read 366,206 times

Advertisements

The Swine Flu, aka Swine Influenza A (H1N1) is spreading across parts of the US.

Apparently according the the CDC, CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) - the US has already been declared in a Public Health State of Emergency. But even yet, Napolitano still will not close the borders.

What do you all think is going to happen?

Are they going to get a vaccine in time? The CDC states that H1N1 is susceptible to certain antiviral medications.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,967,578 times
Well I certainly hope they don't close the borders... I'd like to get home

Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM

967 posts, read 2,986,280 times
It's another "crisis" intended to distract attention. It's a mild flu, not some terminal illness that guarantees death. We have people dying of regular influenza all the time. What's the count, 100 dead? School girls in NYC made it through just fine. Mexicans aren't exactly known for their top-tier medical establishments, or their health.
This will provide an avenue to regulate yet another industry. Mad cow, avian flu, swine flu; all will lead to more government intervention "for your health and safety". All will lead to increase prices.

I see a black market for bacon! "Psst, hey buddy- wanna buy a pound of apple smoked WV bacon?" Swine flu be damned, I'm eatin' my bacon.

Don't believe chicken (or piggy) little when he yells "THE SKY IS FALLING!"

Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM

130 posts, read 366,206 times
Yeah you are right on that. It seems like there is always something that we have to watch out for "for the benefit of our health"...

But luckily HB, it's not contracted through Bacon...so we can eat up

Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,803 times
The sky is falling and what isn't is stock portfolios for vaccines. Anyone think this is just doom saying or what?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:16 PM

300 posts, read 817,478 times
Note : You can not get Mexican Flu by eating pork, but just in case there's anyone on earth who still does not cook pork before eating it, you really should, okley dokley.

Despite the government's official statement this is a naturally occurring virus, the probability of that is otherwise : this is a man-made.

Follow the money . . Baxter International might be a good start because of their recent negligence in Europe that could've created a hybrid virus. My cynical mind says there's already a cure for this, but see if there's a missing arm's length transaction between any politicians and them. Example : Donald Rumsfield was on the board of a company that oustsourced its vaccine to another company who received contracts during the last occupant of the White House.
baxter international - Google News

Contamination Map
H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps

2009/04/27 17:00:00
Last known "official" Mexican death toll : 149

Israelis have named the hybrid virus "Mexican Flu" because swine are not kosher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
"Psst, hey buddy- wanna buy a pound of apple smoked WV bacon?"
I have to tell you, after emigrating here, I no longer eat bacon when I cross the border. It's like the difference between home grown tomatoes and store bought. Muslims, Jews, and Buddhist, et.al., can have the world, but give me West Virginia.

Last edited by red.ochre; 04-27-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM

246 posts, read 877,562 times
Absolutley nothing will happen.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 PM

967 posts, read 2,986,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.ochre View Post
Follow the money . . . My cynical mind says there's already a cure for this, but see if there's a missing arm's length transaction between any politicians and them. Example : Donald Rumsfield was on the board of a company that oustsourced its vaccine to another company who received contracts during the last occupant of the White House.
The money is in the treatment, not the cure. The more they can whip this up, the higher the premium people will pay to be "treated". Not cured, treated.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM

938 posts, read 2,887,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.ochre View Post
My cynical mind says there's already a cure for this, but see if there's a missing arm's length transaction between any politicians and them.
There isn't. Stop being so paranoid. Virii mutate too fast and are too difficult to inhibit. All of the REAL breakthrough research happens in academia, anyway. The pharma companies just cherry pick science. If there was a way to somehow "cure" respiratory viral infections, believe me, a scientist at a university would have published it by now. They care more about prestige and power in academic circles than money.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 PM

300 posts, read 817,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Stop being so paranoid.
Not paranoid, and I would ask you to retract that accusation of a psychological condition, but since I started the mud slinging calling myself cynical, please note, I wouldn't actually like anyone calling me that either.

How about skeptical?

Baxter International's recent negligence in Europe created a probability of a hybrid virus just like this being man-made. Our government then volunteers the statement this hybrid virus is "a naturally occurring event".

If I was paranoid, I'd agree with the conspiracy theorists, this was a trial run for global de-population. However, I currently have insufficient information to validate such a position, and if I did . . my priorities would be drastically altered.

Reading through Mexico forums, I'm gleaning from the posts, that most likely, the reason there are no reported deaths elsewhere from this hybrid virus is because of that initial onset of high fever (i.e., 39C = 102.2F) . . and they're saying Mexico hospital conditions are not only deplorable, but ill-equipped to handle the masses.

Quote:
Heatstroke occurs when a person's temperature exceeds 104 degrees F and their thermoregulatory mechanism is overwhelmed
- Symptoms include : dizziness, disorientation, agitation, confusion, sluggishness, seizure, hot dry skin that is flushed but not sweaty, loss of consciousness, rapid heart beat, hallucinations
A core body temperature of 107 degrees F is considered lethal as cells are damaged and internal organs shut down
Children's thermoregulatory systems are not as efficient as an adult's and their body temperatures warm at a rate 3 to 5 times faster than an adult’s.
We'll know more tomorrow, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia