Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
We have gotten to the point where we don't even want to say where we are going for fear of some other negative comment. Then we look around at where we are now.
We don't let everyone know how good we have it here. Let the insensitive clods think what they will. We don't need snobs coming here. They sound like snobs to me. Just as well that they think so ill of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
When I mention I am from West Virginia when I go out of state, many people say "Oh Virginia is a nice state. I enjoyed Richmond (or some other Virginia city)." They really don't have an impression of West Virginia, except that it is the hick portion of western Virginia.

The weirdest moment was when I was in Virginia, you know our next door neighbor, and I showed my drivers license at a K-Mart, and the cashier said "Oh I didn't know they put WEST Virginia on licenses."

Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,779 times
Thank you all so much for all of the postings. We have really enjoyed reading about your love for where you live! We are really hoping that we can also call it home. We have gotten many similarly ignorant statements about Alaska, so we know that people just don't really know and understand things that are different! We have actually had people ask if people still live in igloos and if we see penguins!! People NEVER lived in igloos here and there are no penguins in Alaska!

We are leaving in three weeks! I have several job prospects lined up but we are leaning towards Clarksburg, Elkins, Glenville, or Lewisburg right now. Can't wait to see for ourselves!!

If you see a cream colored F-250 with Alaska plates driving around in June, give us a honk!!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 PM

139 posts, read 1,024,993 times
phillipi,and junior are also awesome places to consider.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
I'm also not a native of WV. My family moved here in 1999. I never want to live anywhere else. I love the land, the people and the culture. I'm hoping that all my children can find work here so they don't have to live anywhere else either! I just found out that my daughter is expecting a baby! She's due Dec 24th. What better place to raise a child than WV? This will be my first grandchild and I'm so excited that she or he will be born (at home) here in WV.
This almost made me tear up a little. If everyone were more like you and didn't listen to what the media churns out, perhaps West Virginia, my Home State, wouldn't be viewed in such a constant negative manner.

Great place to raise a family. Low cost of living, low crime rates, economy is on the rise (Morgantown was recently tabbed as having the nation's #1 economy). I hope that I never have to leave West Virginia.

Hinton Bound: If you like hotdogs, then you're in luck. The Dairy Queen in Hinton, West Virginia, has the best hotdogs ever made. It's right by the river, too, so you can enjoy the world's best chili dog with a relaxing view from the riverbank.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 PM

275 posts, read 707,894 times
I was born in the eastern panhandle, in Mineral County to be exact. Little town called Keyser, but actually I'm from New Creek. (Right beside it.)

It is SOOOO true that the eastern panhandle thinks they are more of a suburb of DC than part of WV. So sad. My family has lived there since we arrived in the US a few generations back and they still try to talk like they are from MD. I moved down to the southern part of the state and found out what a real WV accent was like! I am a pure blood WV girl and I sound like it now. My family loves this state, but they try and act as though they are more like MD because of all of the negative stereotypes about WV out there.

WV is beautiful.. I love it here. Proud to be a WV girl. (Thundering Herd only though, no Mountaineers in my house.) :P

Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
When I mention I am from West Virginia when I go out of state, many people say "Oh Virginia is a nice state. I enjoyed Richmond (or some other Virginia city)." They really don't have an impression of West Virginia, except that it is the hick portion of western Virginia.

The weirdest moment was when I was in Virginia, you know our next door neighbor, and I showed my drivers license at a K-Mart, and the cashier said "Oh I didn't know they put WEST Virginia on licenses."
Wha? Though I have a friend who when I said was moving to WV, asked if West Virginia was the part of Virginia that was south of Salisbury, MD...

Apparently she failed geography AND social studies...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,548 times
This morning we woke up to 81F, and WV is 50F.. Now that's also why West Virginia! My husband is on a plane going there now. We plan on all being there by the end of the month, and are so excited about it.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:40 AM

8 posts, read 19,902 times
I am not a native West Virginian, I am originally from western PA (Johnstown). I moved here 3 1/2 years ago and I NEVER want to go back! I really love it here. And yes, I get the same kinds of comments from my friends back home. All of whom had never been here of course.

Also, I do live in the eastern panhandle, and while I agree that is different than the more southern and western parts of WV, I wouldn`t call it the DC metro area. I know it is referred to as that, but IMHO there is a BIG difference between DC and Charles Town.

When my husband was in Georgetown hospital 3 years ago, he was asked fairly often where he was from. When he would reply "Charles Town WV" people would think he actually meant CharlesTON WV and that his accent was just making it sound like "town". I was amazed at how many people there (professionals) had never heard of Charles Town. Especially with it being part of the DC metro area and all.....lol

Old 05-12-2009, 05:50 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Perhaps Virginia would take us back and solve this problem once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia