Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 AM

413 posts, read 937,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Hey, if I ever saw one of those in my yard I don't CARE where they originally came from. LOL
My boyfriend and I often talk about herping in GA/FL, just for the prevalence of exotic animals, like burmese pythons. To find a burm in the wild, I'd have to travel to SE Asia. Forget that, I can go to Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 AM

175 posts, read 564,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
That's a burmese python. That's not a native.

And GHO, that's not true. It's really variable. They grow one segment longer every time the snake sheds, and break off randomly. It does not have anything to do with age or size.
Check this little fellow out.....he's native and he ain't no python!!
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes-cid_981a155f8b064fd3a0919f26717dc2f1-mike51349.jpg  

Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM

That snake's around 6 feet long. The fact that it's on the end of a 4 foot snake hook held out from the guy's body makes it look a lot bigger. A big beautiful snake, but hardly something outrageously gigantic.

Last edited by Newtgirl; 05-16-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
That snake's around 6 feet long. The fact that it's on the end of a 4 foot snake hook held out from the guy's body makes it look a lot bigger. A big beautiful snake, but hardly something outrageously gigantic.
That's why I called him a "Little Fellow".. That particular snake was removed from a chicken house in Florida and relocated.. I've never seen a rattlesnake in the wild here in my neck of the woods but I've seen a lot of copperheads.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:51 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,949 times
Quote:
Now Newt..., any time a man dangles his snake for public consumption, it is wholly impolite to charictarize it as anything BUT "outrageously gigantic". hehe

Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Now Newt..., any time a man dangles his snake for public consumption, it is wholly impolite to charictarize it as anything BUT "outrageously gigantic". hehe
I forgot about the 'man rules'.

That particular snake must've been well-fed. Mmmm chicken. And I didn't mean to belittle anything, believe me. A 6 foot rattlesnake's still a pretty big snake. It's a beaut, that's for sure.

So today I'm in Roanoke, and it's 60 and sunny. A perfect day for a snake chase! Wish me luck, and hope we don't find too many Dead-On-Road (DOR) snakes. Poor things.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 AM

This is just too coincidental.....I came home from my Sunday poker game at the VFW yesterday to find my girlfriend in a total tizzy. Seems as if she heard our Bullmastiff, Beavis, barking and raising cain out in the breeze way. When she went to investigate, she found he had a 3 foot long copperhead cornered under a lawn chair. She said she was finally able to drag the dog away and into the house and went back and poured a bucket of cold water on the snake to scare it off!! She said it just coiled up tighter and stuck it's tongue out at her. She said she came back in the house and the snake slithered into the yard and back across the road into the woods. The more I laughed at her story the madder she got at me!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM

We found a super-fresh DOR copperhead. Well, it hadn't been hit by a car. Oddly, only it's head had been crushed. Wonder how that happened...? Jerks.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,949 times
Good info on Copperheads and their toxicity.

Copperhead Snakes

Old 05-18-2009, 02:52 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,565 times
I had always heard that black snakes and copperheads did not get along. A couple of years ago my Uncle and I were talking and I mentioned that part of snake lore. He says, follow me, and walks me behind the barn to a pile of roof tin. He flips the pile over and there were black snakes and copperheads apparently co-habitating under the tin. Evolution maybe causing them to co-exist peacefully? I dunno. I thought maybe they hadn't had the chance to get down to business, but my Uncle said he discovered them several weeks before then.

BJC, the rattlesnake pic and description are forthcoming, I haven't forgotten your request, just having some technical difficulties with it. I shall not rest until I can post it. My copy was water damaged so I got a fresh copy, then my scanner decided it doesn't like WinXP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia