Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 AM

23 posts, read 52,399 times

Advertisements

Oh Bobilee, Thanks for the link....this has got me thinking about an electric fireplace to sit in her corner of her previous kerosene stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
You can get propane and CO/CO2 leak detectors at about any RV dealer, given your parents' age and possibly diminished sense of smell, might be a good idea. And smoke detectors, if they don't have them already. Although personally, I like oil. Yeah, spills can be nasty, but it won't explode.

Geo-Thermal could work, but...

It's a gigantic plumbing system, so you have the cost of excavation, laying all that pipe, making sure every joint is tight. And if it springs a leak, you gotta dig it all up again, to find and fix the leak. And since G-T is basically a heat pump, you'll be working the HP unit year around, for heat in the winter and A/C in the summer.

More insulation and plugging all those air leaks around outlets, windows, etc., is probably the best payoff. Lower the thermostat and close off rooms you never use. This past winter I put an electric space heater in the family room and the bedroom, and left the thermostat at 60.

A lot depends on your location (are your winters mild or severe), how much solar heating you can expect, and what your alternatives are.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Don't forget that new gasoline fueled electric generator..for the days the power will be out....ha ha.

snorpus: Down here in Mo-town...geothermal is about 40/60 k....10 grand a hole...

and if I remember correctly, we had about $1,400 of kerosene in mom's tank...that could be re-cycled to the 'waste oil collector for about $ 0.25 per gallon. .25 X 600= $240.00
might cover part of the cost of that heat conversion.

My kids have their orders...we phone everyday...if they don't get an answer...come and bury our bones and say goodbye...no interference with our living...period.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM

One last suggestion:

If your family needs to re-group for some reason in the future, I imagine they would do that at Mom and Pops in Wv...that kerosene tank might come in handy for several reasons.
sustainable, ready fuel that could be bartered if necessary...I would do as mom says, put in a kerosene heater and keep that tank on the full mark...

Old 05-26-2009, 05:09 PM

Yeah, I was thinking of that. I'm hanging onto the stove in the kitchen, and I'm keeping the outside tank. But to try and find a suitable kerosene stove has been the pits. The brand at a Gassaway hardware stove is KeroWorld. What type of heating do they use in other countries....like Northern Europe or Japan? Just curious.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM

Have that hardware store order that model I suggested...or I'll bet you can google it and order it on line...

just a simple fuel line connection (Brass fittings that seal) and the vent is regular 4" double flue through the wall.
115 volt receptacle for blower...Automatic thermo...has it all and is the right size.

Toyo Heater...with vent kit....Laser L-73 model

Al's Monitor Toyo Rinnai Vented Heaters at Discount. (http://www.alsheating.com?Toyoheater.htm - broken link)

Looks like you can have it shipped direct and install as easy as following directions.

This kerosene heat is hot and feels good on those old bones..tell Mom hello from me.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 PM

58 posts, read 135,963 times
My parents finally gave up the wood stove for a wall mounted natural gas heater. The heater is better looking than I thought that it would be and is fed from a tank outside. It heats beautifully. The only problem that I have seen is in purchasing the gas. You have to purchase early to get a good price and sometimes you have to wait for weeks to have the tank filled, so its not a good idea to run out.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Electric fireplaces don't generate a whole lot of BTU's. Older people tend to feel the cold more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia