Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM

69 posts, read 191,410 times

Advertisements

I have been living in up-state NY for almost 4 yrs., and sick and tired of paying high taxes. We are thinking of moving to WV but not sure what area. Jobs are not important, more important is the country living with a good amount of land, does anyone have an idea which part of WV is in the greatest value for you dollar??We are planning a trip end of June and thinking of looking around the Hundred area and down by the spencer area. Any other areas that are great for country, slow pace living?? How would you rate these 2 areas we plan on looking?My husband has lived in up-state his whole life and I am from the west coast, and we both thought WV looks like a beautiful place to kick back and retire..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
You might also want to look at the East-Central Mountains, along US Rte 219. From Davis (Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley) near the Maryland border, through Elkins, Marlinton, and Lewisburg, you'll find everything from small, level valleys to the highest mountains in West Virginia.

Hundred is between New Martinsville and Morgantown, you'd be driving to those two places (or north to Waynesburg, PA) for most of your shopping. Lots of natural gas drilling activity going on in that area; otherwise, there's no real industry in Hundred. Also look at the Fishing Creek ("Shortline") valley along WV Rte 20... lots of small towns like Reader, Pine Grove, Smithfield, in the central part of the county.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Thank-you snorpus, actually one of the houses we really liked we found on-line is in the town of Reader...I can't wait till the end of June when we can come ck. the areas out.Have you ever been near the Spencer area, alot of houses there with acreages that don't seem to be real expensive. We will definitely ck out the areas you suggested.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
I've never been to Spencer, so can't really comment on it. I grew up on "The Shortline", so that's my old neighborhood, so to speak.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Reader is a nice little town...little and nice...make sure you visit Reader...certainly, out of the way.
History goes back to the Morgan (Spymod) Morgans and Benj. Reader, late 1700's.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,786 times
Wink Farm livin'

"We moved here from NJ & NY and if you are looking to retire and have a slow pace you will be fine. We are about 30 minutes from Spencer (in Grantsville)...I have a teaching job and personally find it a bit too slow for me.) Our farm is lovely, however and the horses and dogs are in heaven.. I have been a bit homesick of late and have been toying with wanting my old job back.. the pay scale here is very low..that shouldn't bother you, however, since you are retiring. Good luck!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spldcnd View Post
I have been living in up-state NY for almost 4 yrs., and sick and tired of paying high taxes. We are thinking of moving to WV but not sure what area. Jobs are not important, more important is the country living with a good amount of land, does anyone have an idea which part of WV is in the greatest value for you dollar??We are planning a trip end of June and thinking of looking around the Hundred area and down by the spencer area. Any other areas that are great for country, slow pace living?? How would you rate these 2 areas we plan on looking?My husband has lived in up-state his whole life and I am from the west coast, and we both thought WV looks like a beautiful place to kick back and retire..

Last edited by Paris Trout; 06-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Paris Trout, thank-you for the info, does sound very nice, you are in one of the areas we are looking. May I ask how big of a place you have there? I have been retired for 4 yrs. now, but my hubby may want to a job. Are they're many jobs around there, doesn't have to be a big paying job, really anything would be ok, he's always worked manufacturing or lumber, but even the local gas station would be fine..lol..He would prob. need to have something to do, hey, and always use little extra cash here and there. thanks again.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
We have a vacation/retirement home that may fit your needs.
For details see [url=http://www.dr39canaanvalley.com/]CanaanValleyGetaway[/url]

Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Spld if you want acreage another transplant and I found landandfarm.com to be very generous with listings, but there's usually some mark up involved as a result. Even still the price per acre + tax rate is a far cry from where you are because the level of govt services is much more modest throughout the state.

The rest of the properties I've come across go by word of mouth as I've meandered around. The better you pay attention to the bulletin board at the small town gas stations the more likely you'll run into a happy coincidence. FSBO's and rent to own arrangements are common in kanawha county for instance. There are often more handyman specials than not, so if you mean to avoid things like knob and tube 70 amp electric best you stick with newer construction or completely upgraded properties.

Gentrified silliness is rare in most of WV, something I for one was grateful about. My parkersburg granny had settled in chatham NY, and last I checked they wanted 450k for a broken down parsonage on 2 acres. Perhaps they've gotten over themselves by now but I doubt it. Foothills of the berkshires got yuppified and once the salt of the earth folks get displaced, in my experience, it doesn't end well once the realtor hype music stops playing. No hype here, thank goodness.

The eastern region snorpus is talking about is beautiful country & sensible folk but way too chilly an altitude for my blood. The more specific you are about what you need, the more likely you are to find it. The closer to resort areas the more your taxes will be, even if they're far less than you're paying now. Good luck to you both on your quest.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM

dr39cvwva, thank-you, thats a beautiful house but too much money for me, I'm sure it's worth every penny, but looking to downsize and not to stress over mortgage payments, time to kick back no stress and enjoy life for us. Great house tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia