Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 05:25 PM

177 posts, read 366,125 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have 2 different teaching job offers and trying to decide between them. One is Martinsburg WV; the other Nelson County VA (an hour north of Lynchburg). Salary is almost identical in both, but I have several years experience already elsewhere in VA toward retirement.

Housing is and has been challenging to find in either location (especially Nelson; nearest would be most likely Lynchburg) which means about an hour commute each way. No commute for Martinsburg more than likely. There are more housing options (for sale) in my price range in Lynchburg compared to Martinsburg; not finding anything currently available for rent in Lynchburg though I've been looking. There are a few places in Martinsburg but they disappear very fast and are limited to begin with for rentals; sales in my price range also go very quickly.

Based on the above, plus being single and in 50s, which place would you choose and why? Thanks for all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 05:18 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Martinsburg... as you said No Commute.
What is your price range for apt? Bedrooms? Price range? Pets or Not?

Old 07-25-2021, 06:03 AM

Looking at a couple rental townhouses there tomorrow afternoon. Between 1000 - 1200 rent with 2 BR. As of now no pets but looking for a new cocker spaniel.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:18 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
As I posed on the Virginia forum, it really depends on what you are looking for although on this one (I should've put two and two together) you further elaborate that Nelson County is an hour away- that commute doesn't seem fun and it's rather rural outside of Lynchburg so probably not a lot of options. I imagine apartments in Lynchburg proper are tough to find now as Liberty University and several other colleges in town are probably leasing up with students.

Martinsburg if you have little commute could yield an advantage- it's very fast becoming an outer exurb of Northern Va/DC and a lot of new housing going in thus more options. It's far enough away to not have to deal with the much busier life pace closer to the Beltway but close enough to head in for a visit, etc.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:19 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,760 times
For Nelson Co., have you considered Charlottesville, or is the job location in the southern part of the county?? Waynesboro could also be an option, it’s about the same size as Martinsburg.

Given your age and years in the VA retirement system, I’d stay in VA if I could.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:50 PM

Have been looking for housing in both areas for over a month and limited options in both - even in surrounding areas. Anything in my price range in Mburg disappears really quickly (rental or otherwise) - limited rentals I've come across there.

Places for sale are cheaper in Lynchburg but again not much available for rent. Clearly there are pros/cons to both and this decision isn't/hasn't been easy to make for several reasons, housing being the immediate one.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:03 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Washington Mews Apt & the Cottages in Martinsburg Also Cranes in Ranson/Charles Town 2 bedroom apts around $850 Also allows 2 pets non-refundable pet deposit $300 + $35 per month rent.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:51 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
I don't know much about the VA retirement system but you need to seriously evaluate all scenarios related to your retirement.

In WV, you get 2% for each year of experience times your final average salary calculated on the average of your highest five years out of the last 14.

If you are 50 and work to age 66 (full Social Security), that is 16 years or 32% of your final average.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:31 AM

36 posts, read 28,514 times
Is it true that gun crime and homicides are spiking in Lynchburg? The local news seems to be covering a lot of it, but is anyone who actually lives there feeling impacted by this? For example, are there areas you used to feel safe waking through, but no longer feel the same way?

Old 12-29-2021, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 13,875 times
Personally, I would choose Lynchburg any day, 100%. I live near Martinsburg and avoid it when I can. Martinsburg has the most crime in the Eastern Panhandle and has a lot of drugs and violence. The schools are some of the worst because most of the good teachers go to Virginia or Maryland. Cost of living is still relatively high and it's a very dirty, depressing town. Most young people leave as soon as they can and people who can't afford VA or MD move in.

I also spent time at VMI and Liberty University. I can tell you that area is WAY cleaner, less crime/drugs, and being in Virginia has its perks. Your retirement will be better for sure. I had VRS when I worked for Loudoun County and it's better than PERS WV offers. They are piling in very cheap, plastic houses and factories in the Eastern Panhandle. I think they just about ruined the panhandle but there's still a lot of progress being made in Southern VA.

I could go on and on, choose Virginia. It's the best decision by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia