Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 05:12 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times

Advertisements

I am becoming somewhat curious about West Virginia.

Can West Virginians tell me what the typical seasons are like?

I am specifically looking for a place with moderate summers, long autumns, and cold winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 05:26 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I am becoming somewhat curious about West Virginia.

Can West Virginians tell me what the typical seasons are like?

I am specifically looking for a place with moderate summers, long autumns, and cold winters.
The only area of the state that fits that description are the elevated areas around 2,000 ft. elevation such as Elkins. Winters have been warming up everywhere, so count on less snowfall overall.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:50 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
What about the summer season? Is it long, and how humid and hot does it get?

Old 12-20-2021, 06:47 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Summer is mild and not very humid compared to anywhere in the South:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswv0224

Old 12-21-2021, 08:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
What about the summer season? Is it long, and how humid and hot does it get?
Average temps will vary depending on elevation as noted previously. The eastern mountains from Lewisburg all the way up to Tucker County would not be near as humid as along the Ohio River.

The humidity in the worst place in WV would not equal anything in the South, in my opinion. August is generally the most humid and some years that extends into September. After all, our world is melting according to the naysayers. (note sarcasm)

I wish autumn could go on much longer as it is my favorite season of the year. Some years we get light snow during Thanksgiving week (this helps the hunters track the deer). Sometimes early December snows are big enough to cancel school a day or two.

Personally, I like an area with all four seasons and WV is a great place for that.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:06 PM

282 posts, read 484,997 times
All the seasons are pretty mild these days in WV. Summers are hot and humid, very warm temperatures persist well into fall, and winters especially have grown mild with very little snowfall. That’s where the warming climate has been most noticeable. There were occasionally mild winters in the past, like in the early 70s, but it has pretty much became the norm now. Cold spells are usually short lived and not all that cold. I really wonder how the ski resorts are surviving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia