U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM

128 posts, read 426,532 times

Advertisements

Well, sure. "Mine supply companies."

They aren't "miners."

And two, using facts from the same government agency (and I use that term loosely) that is infested with industry hacks, really doesn't inspire much confidence in their numbers. And, even at 40,000, that's a damn sight smaller than the hundreds of thousands in the past. And those were pure miners. Not including the spinoff jobs. Just look at any community in Logan County today, compared to 30 years ago to see the real impact of the coal industry on WV. Boarded up houses and shacks, and businesses closed everywhere.

The funny thing is, a longwall miner puts 100 miners out of a job, XYZ Mining Repair Company then hires 5 guys to service the machine, and we are supposed to jump for joy?

No thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
When I was 19 I was idealistic, too. But disregarding people's livelihoods due to the misbehavior of corporate barons and politicians, and saying that 10000 jobs wouldn't be noticed, and simply brushing off these people that have bills to pay and pay taxes - well that's not just arrogant and clueless, ivehadenough, it's just wrong.
Maybe you shoud read US Steel et al v Helton, and get back to us on the taxes part.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,116,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
This is probably the most arrogant and clueless thing I've ever ready on CDF, and it shows your utter contempt for your Southern West Virginia neighbors and their livelihoods. If that's all you think of your fellow Southern West Virginians then I don't think anyone would miss you if you left. I mean if you hate the coal industry then why stay in WV? If you hate Hindu then do you live in India?

I drive around town and see the people at Mining Controls Inc. and
Austin Powders and Superior Highwall Miner putting food on their table for their families. Then some know-it all like you who has no respect for the fact that they get up at 6 and work all day servicing the coal industry, it really sickens me. You refuse to acknowlege that they even exit, let alone the services they provide. And this doesn't even include the people who drive down the Turnpike to work at Republic and Kanawha Eagle and Speed Mining and Catenary. Or those who drive out Route 3 and 85 to work at the Massey and Patriot and ICG mines.

When I was 19 I was idealistic, too. But disregarding people's livelihoods due to the misbehavior of corporate barons and politicians, and saying that 10000 jobs wouldn't be noticed, and simply brushing off these people that have bills to pay and pay taxes - well that's not just arrogant and clueless, ivehadenough, it's just wrong.

One of the things that MOST distresses me...
people slamming the coal industry yet
they turn on their computers,
they turning on their lights,
they cool their home in summer and heat it in winter,
and the list goes on and on.

Yet ONCE have these people ever thanked or respected the coal miners?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post

One of the things that MOST distresses me...
people slamming the coal industry yet
they turn on their computers,
they turning on their lights,
they cool their home in summer and heat it in winter,
and the list goes on and on.

Yet ONCE have these people ever thanked or respected the coal miners?
You mean thanking the coal companies from stealing from me?

Have you ever been to a county courthouse and looked through the lien books to see page after page after page of severance tax liens against coal companies? I'm guessing no.

Every dime they don't pay, is a dime that comes out of my pocket in the form of increased taxes, because they didn't pay what they were legally required to.

And like I've said, that's not even mentioning the workers compensation stuff.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,807,949 times
The 'ignorant came her in the 60's...were going to save us from 'ourselves...Vista..Peace Corps...other Loons.

What has happened?

Nothing from them per se...lots of money re-directed to progroms and politicians, but that's what was intended to happen.

Jobs came in a big way with the G. Bush Energy Policy that is now being dismantled...the new money is going to other crooks,... our guys are trying to get on the new 'band wagons as fast as possible.

The issue is how do we Sh*t Can an entire generation of workers?
They will not be retrained because they are a medical liability, their age, the fact that they earned more than the minimum wage or the fact that they worked in a Union facility and could cause emotional problems for management.

Their jobs/wages have trickled down to every level of our state and provides 1/2 of our tax base.

I do not hear any media drift about taxing Natural Gas, Wind Power or any theoretical replacements to our tax base.

How does a state survive? or are we to survive? Perhaps we are too ignorant to survive and need foriegn aid....who would buy us??

I'll answer that...China. For the coal...for the timber...and most of all...for the drinking water. 2 billion people get thirsty.

and we have people in this state who would do that....

Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 AM

Hansen has agreed to debate Blankenship. Now the question is where/when. Looks like either 1pm today or on TV at 7pm tomorrow.

Quote:
Hansen, for scheduling reasons, agreed to be part of a 1 p.m. event Wednesday at Mountain State University. West Virginia Public Broadcasting will moderate that discussion. West Virginia Headline News and Talk Radio
WOWK has invited Hansen and Massey CEO to debate global warming on TV. Blankenship said yes and Hansen is checking his schedule.
If it's a go, it will be broadcast tomorrow (Thurs) at 7pm.

Since WOWK (Channel 13 Chas/Huntington) is part of WV Media, taking a guess that it may be broadcast on all WV Media channels.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:01 AM

Latest CBO report says Cap & Trade will only cost each household $175 by 2020 but........
Quote:
The analysis does not include the effects of other aspects of the bill, such as federal efforts to speed the development of new technologies and to increase energy efficiency by specifying standards or subsidizing energy-saving investments. http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?cat=7
and
Quote:
those effects are described in the context of the current economy—that is, the costs that would result if the policies set for 2020 were in effect in 2010. http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?cat=7
and
Quote:
Most of those free allocations would be phased out over time, and by 2035, roughly 70 percent of the allowances would be sold by the federal government, with a large share of revenues returned to households on a per capita basis. http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?cat=7
There are a lot of "if's" which may/may not affect the cost to taxpayers ......
If the Feds actions do NOT increase costs to us via Fed efforts to speed the development of new tech
If the Feds actions do NOT increase costs to us via the cost of higher standards
If the Feds actions do NOT increase costs to us via subsidies
If the Feds return a large share of revenue to the public

Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,807,949 times
Joke of the Day:

Darryl Hanna and James Henson to be taken to Gitmo for Waterboarding Exercise...just came through the fax that they have been arrested...check them for pot possession, Sheriff!

Did anybody figure it out that these things are staged for the media...ratings are down..

After thought:

If a County Magistrate has a difficult case load, these American Citizens could see a weekend in the Regional Jail...body cavity search and all that...certainly hope they brought a New York lawyer with them...perhaps we can see the debate televised from the new Regional Jail...Reality in Vogue!

Last edited by David Kennedy; 06-24-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM

843 posts, read 1,244,355 times
Here's a link o an article about cap and trade.

Over 30,000 scientists signed a petition saying global warming is a sham and that CO2 is good for the envrionment. And that cap and trade is a hoax.

And this information was introduced to the United States Congress.

So, when you hear some blowhard form DC talking about global warming and cap and trade and how necessary it is then you know they are lying.

It's a good read.

Global Warming Petition Signed by 31,478 Scientists by Ron Paul

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 PM

843 posts, read 1,244,355 times
Here's another article about cap and trade.

Seems Obama's people admit that cap and trade will hurt the poorest people the most. Ooooopppppps. I bet that wasn't supposed to get out.

So who's really screwing the poor? The coal comapnies or the politicians?

Cap and Trade: A Huge, Regressive Tax (http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/930 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia