U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,266,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
Sooooooooo, 2000 election in florida, people didn't wake up.

9/11, people didn't wake up.

Complete governmental failure during Hurricane Katrina, people didn't wake up.

But some environmental bill in congress, is going to wake them up?
I go away for one week and all this happens?!

IveHadEnough: I completely agree with everything you are saying but it's hard to win with this crowd. They are obsessed with posting threads that make the coal industry look like the savior of the world along with anything that makes Obama and Democrats look bad.

I fully support investment in a variety of energy sources and that could include clean coal if there is a way to do such a thing. That being said, if coal mining is such an economic shot in the arm then I would like to hear an explanation as to why the majority of southern WV is a sea of poverty and despair not unlike places I have seen in rural Mexico and Costa Rica. It is truly a sight to behold and a very sad one at that.

I guess we can't fault anyone for working to put food on the table, but the economic plight down there certainly casts somewhat of a dark cloud over the argument that the coal companies are excellent stewards of the communities they operate in.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 06-28-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,821,312 times
Coal produces 80% of the Australian electrical power in a very clean manner and their people are not impoverished....

What's the difference?

And I might add that the Aussie Eco-system is much more fragile and prone to catastrophic disruption than ours...

As a matter of fact..they (the Aussie Government) are on the verge of throwning out the "Global Warming Insanity as we speak.

Wanted to add, I expect Mr. Jay will champion the Cap $ Trade Tax this week in the Senate, as he led the charge for the old Kyoto Protocol in the 1980's...

This Boondoggle has been years in the making...remember, to get a fur coat and stockpile food.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 PM

300 posts, read 795,022 times
Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of doubt, but if you're taking a tone with me, then I'll have to tell you to go **** yourself.

People are brainwashed in this country. It's been systematic, and there's a generation following me that was born into it, nurtured on it, and I'm not exaggerating that claim. I've said this before, political correctness is plague of stupidity. They stumble over their feet to make apologies on behalf of these criminals, regurgitating propaganda mantras they're indoctrinated with, and though it's simply beyond me why they choose ignorance, hope springs eternal . . they will wake up.

Granted, maybe that's not today.

I'd rather be drinking coffee and drawing naked women, but instead, I'm constantly having to read things that make me grumpy, like laws being enacted that are unjust. So pardon me, if I notice a lot of other people angry about the corruption and power grab involved with this lastest fiasco by the Federal government HR 2454. Or as Congressmen John Boehner called it, ". . this pile of sh-t."

It's a start.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 PM

I've been watching the "Protest in Iran...led by women of great courage...some covering their faces and some not...

The results of their efforts at personal freedom?...
Help from the English of all people...
being ignored by our USA political bolsheviks...

and the Mullahs who run the country in a perfect, god-like manner?

They have a more simple solution...just execute them...and this is the week to do just that...with the great media celebration of Mike Jackson's drug induced suicide, the smoke screen is up for everybody in the world...their heads can be separated from their bodies and nobody will know or care...

Do infidel martrys go to Valhalla and have 32 male stud-virgins at the ready?

Where is NOW?
Don't answer that...I already know the answer...That Abortion Clinic Convention in San Fransicso...lining up the Stimulus Money....Got cha!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 PM

300 posts, read 795,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Do infidel martrys go to Valhalla and have 32 male stud-virgins at the ready?
From what I've been reading, they (political dissent) are being accused of being "mohareb", and based on what the clerics are saying, I would presume Allah would not be welcoming them. The books of Islam have more references to Hell than the Judeo/Christian religion, so political dissent is a problem under an Islamic Republic.

[Ahmad] Khatami, a member of the Assembly of Experts, said the judiciary should charge the leading "rioters" as being "mohareb" or one who wages war against God.
"They should be punished ruthlessly and savagely," he said. Under Iran's Islamic law, punishment for people convicted as mohareb is execution....
Jihad Watch: Iranian cleric says protesters should be executed

"Mohareb" means enemy of God and "Mofsed fi al-Arz" means corrupt on earth and both are capital punishments under Islamic law in Iran and unfortunately there is a vague definition about these two serious crimes in Islamic law. They can prosecute any dissidents by accusing them enemy of God and/or corrupt on earth.
Rotten Gods: First executed Iranian blogger: Yaghoob Mehrnehad

Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 AM

Thanks...That tells me where we, as Americans would fit in...

Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,123,791 times
Quote:

The "some environmental bill in congress" is code word for TAX - many say the biggest TAX in American history.

Yes, that and the many other things by the Feds have woke the giant.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 AM

128 posts, read 427,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
The "some environmental bill in congress" is code word for TAX - many say the biggest TAX in American history.

Yes, that and the many other things by the Feds have woke the giant.
Nope.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 AM

When it gets to EXxon and the Rockefellers, it must be serious...(I've been harping at Jay-bird for years...ever since he became a Republican-Turn-Coat-Democrat and bought that college presidency job in Buckhannon...)

Now, one of his companies, Exxon says that the Cap and Trade Tax will add 71 cents to a gallon of gasoline...rather than do that, they will shut down all their refineries in the USA and take them offshore.

Looks like the new oil jobs will be in Canada, Honduras and Mexico.

This will be the end to New Jersey for sure...It will become as Detroit is with the Auto business...empty.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,123,791 times
Even Warren Buffet calls Cap & Trade a tax... and a regressive one
ginaswo « Moderate in the Middle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia